• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Face of Later Abortion

SassySmartie

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
According to statistics, about 1% of abortions are performed after the 20 week mark. There has been a lot of discussion about why a woman would abort so late. Most opponents of abortion have painted the 20 week + abortions as irresponsible.

Here are real stories of women who have aborted after 20 weeks. Most of them were pregnancies that were wanted and even planned.

Were the Gosnell babies included in that study or just the abortion clinics that were actually inspected regularly?

Were the Gosnell babies included in that study or just the abortion clinics that were actually inspected regularly?

Gosnell was practicing illegally. He had a market because laws made it difficult for women to find a legal place to have an abortion. He's a sociopath. You are welcome to check with Guttmacher to see whether they possibly included ILLEGAL abortions, though a little logical common sense would tell you that illegal abortions wouldn't be recorded. Illegal abortions happen when there isn't legal access to it.

So, do you have any comment/insight on the blog linked or the women's stories about why they sought an abortion after 20 weeks? Since that is the topic of this thread? Or are you just interested in conflating Gosnell with all abortion after 20 weeks?

Gosnell was practicing illegally. He had a market because laws made it difficult for women to find a legal place to have an abortion.

That is total bull****.

That is total bull****.

How so? Do you think women choose to go to a dirty clinic to be attended to by a mad man unless it's their last ditch effort? Do you think that if the nearest legal abortion clinic you can get to is several hundred miles away from your home and requires you to take time off of a job that doesn't pay much and you can't afford the travel time to get to that legal clinic that in desperation women don't go to people they aren't so sure about?

Which part of my statement is "total bull****"?

Again, what are your thoughts about the words of real women who have had 20+ week abortions? Did you read any of the blog? For the last time, this is about who has later abortions and why. I'm sure there are a bunch of threads about Gosnell. If you want to discuss him, make a new thread and I'll discuss him with you. This thread is to answer the question that I see here all of the time "why would a woman wait until 20 weeks to terminate a pregnancy. I've provided real reasons from real women. Why are you afraid to read that and discuss?

All the moving stories--the first-name only "faces of late-term abortion" anecdotes don't change the fact that some abortionists aren't performing later abortions for legit reasons. During the Gosnell trial, a similar charnal-house clinic was discovered operating in D.C., and a Houston doctor is also being investigated. We don't really know how many illegal "back alley" abortions are being performed. But they're about the money.

Agree....a heaping steaming pile of BS from a seminar poster.

Omg the lengths these people will stoop to.

Which part?

Gosnell practiced illegally: Gosnell, was not a board-certified obstetrician or gynecologist, performed illegal late term abortions, his clinic was staffed by non-licensed and non-medical staff. He operated illegally. He is a sociopath.

All the moving stories--the first-name only "faces of late-term abortion" anecdotes don't change the fact that some abortionists aren't performing later abortions for legit reasons. During the Gosnell trial, a similar charnal-house clinic was discovered operating in D.C., and a Houston doctor is also being investigated. We don't really know how many illegal "back alley" abortions are being performed. But they're about the money.

What you don't get or are ignoring is the why and who. Why do you think a woman goes to a doctor like Gosnell? and Who do you think is going there?

Gosnell's patients were those that were poor. They did not have the means to travel out of state or hundreds of miles for a legal abortion. They didn't have the money to sue, when they filed complaints against his practice they were ignored. Gosnell is not the norm for abortion clinics. In fact, a vast majority of abortions are performed before 12 weeks and many of those are chemical (drug induced) abortions not surgical procedures. They're safe and non-invasive.

As long as abortion is made difficult for women, there will always be sociopaths like Gosnell to prey on women. If they had legal, safe avenues they'd never venture into dirty, poorly run, understaffed clinics like his.

Also, why are you pointing out "first name only" as if it's some sort of indicator that something is wrong with the entries. Those women have a right to privacy and if they are choosing only to share their first name, that's their right. They shared pictures. Are you suggesting the stories are fabricated?

Gosnell was practicing illegally. He had a market because laws made it difficult for women to find a legal place to have an abortion. He's a sociopath.

Hrm... So he's like every abortionist and virtually every abortionist's clients?

We don't really know how many illegal "back alley" abortions are being performed. But they're about the money.

And if the Moral Fascists get their way and ban late term abortions, there will be more back alley abortions performed.

I notice how they aren't answering your questions and actually discussing the issue ...... probably because they have no valid rebuttal.

I notice how they aren't answering your questions and actually discussing the issue ...... probably because they have no valid rebuttal.

Well, there seems to be a strategy by some and that is to call people nasty names...avoid getting involved in posts that require legitimate sources and provide links.

But mostly it's the "Just because I made it up...doesn't mean it's not true" "their right, the courts are wrong and will soon be discovered, etc....kind of stuff...you know, endless dead-end posts that lead to nowhere.

What you don't get or are ignoring is the why and who. Why do you think a woman goes to a doctor like Gosnell? and Who do you think is going there?

Gosnell's patients were those that were poor. They did not have the means to travel out of state or hundreds of miles for a legal abortion. They didn't have the money to sue, when they filed complaints against his practice they were ignored. Gosnell is not the norm for abortion clinics. In fact, a vast majority of abortions are performed before 12 weeks and many of those are chemical (drug induced) abortions not surgical procedures. They're safe and non-invasive.

As long as abortion is made difficult for women, there will always be sociopaths like Gosnell to prey on women. If they had legal, safe avenues they'd never venture into dirty, poorly run, understaffed clinics like his.

Also, why are you pointing out "first name only" as if it's some sort of indicator that something is wrong with the entries. Those women have a right to privacy and if they are choosing only to share their first name, that's their right. They shared pictures. Are you suggesting the stories are fabricated?

I'm not suggesting anything. Here's what I said, and this time, it would be lovely if you would read the entire sentence rather than just reading into what I said that fits what you want to read: "All the moving stories--the first-name only "faces of late-term abortion" anecdotes don't change the fact that some abortionists aren't performing later abortions for legit reasons."

And by the way, I don't know anybody here at DP or in real life who would argue over an abortion performed because of catastrophic fetal anomaly. But again, this doesn't mean that unscrupulous abortionists aren't performing medically unnecessary late-term abortions.

I'm not suggesting anything. Here's what I said, and this time, it would be lovely if you would read the entire sentence rather than just reading into what I said that fits what you want to read: "All the moving stories--the first-name only "faces of late-term abortion" anecdotes don't change the fact that some abortionists aren't performing later abortions for legit reasons."

What reasons are "legit" and which are not?

Hrm... So he's like every abortionist and virtually every abortionist's clients?

No, there are abortion clinics that are LEGAL. So, no not every abortion doctor is Gosnell.

Yeah. It's a trend around here.

And by the way, I don't know anybody here at DP or in real life who would argue over an abortion performed because of catastrophic fetal anomaly. But again, this doesn't mean that unscrupulous abortionists aren't performing medically unnecessary late-term abortions.

Except that the only unscrupulous ones are those performing illegal abortions, whose patients come to them as a last ditch effort. Those listed in the blog I posted are the 1% of abortions that are performed after 20 weeks. So your argument is "because some sociopaths take advantage of low income women and strict laws making some women desperate, abortions post 20 weeks should just be banned"? The only reason there are illegal clinics with unscrupulous doctors is because it has been made extremely difficult in some states and cities to get a legal abortion.

Don't act like Gosnell horrified you. If you support laws limiting a women's rights I'm afraid you are allies with sickos like him The anti-choice movement is promoting people like Gosnell by banning legal abortions. They are the friends of the butchers who are just waiting in the wings you to do the dirty work for them. Moving abortions into the shadows is your goal...and maniacs like Gosnell will just love it.

No, there are abortion clinics that are LEGAL. So, no not every abortion doctor is Gosnell.

Sociopath is not defined by respect or no respect for the law. It's defined by a lack of moral compass and a disrespect for human rights.

Gosnell is no worse and no better than every other abortionist.

Don't act like Gosnell horrified you. If you support laws limiting a women's rights I'm afraid you are allies with sickos like him The anti-choice movement is promoting people like Gosnell by banning legal abortions. They are the friends of the butchers who are just waiting in the wings you to do the dirty work for them. Moving abortions into the shadows is your goal...and maniacs like Gosnell will just love it.

On the contrary, why don't you stop feigning that you give a **** about what Gosnell did? What did he do that's so different than the serial killers you approve of?

You will always be able to find killers on the black market; that doesn't justify making what they do legal.

Last edited:
Sociopath is not defined by respect or no respect for the law. It's defined by a lack of moral compass and a disrespect for human rights.

Gosnell is no worse and no better than every other abortionist.

That's your opinion, not based on any fact.

That's your opinion, not based on any fact.

On the contrary, of course, it's your opinion that some abortionists are somehow moral when compared to Gosnell. Guess what? Also not based on any fact.

On the contrary, of course, it's your opinion that some abortionists are somehow moral when compared to Gosnell. Guess what? Also not based on any fact.

The facts that legal providers have clean, sterile clinics where their patients are treated with kindness and taken care of is VERY, vastly and completely different from a doctor who is not a board certified ob/gyn with a dirty office, non-medical staff, who keeps the remains of aborted fetuses in milk jugs and containers laying around a clinic with cats running around freely, urine and feces on the floors... yes VAST DIFFERENCE.

The facts that legal providers have clean, sterile clinics where their patients are treated with kindness and taken care of is VERY, vastly and completely different from a doctor who is not a board certified ob/gyn with a dirty office, non-medical staff, who keeps the remains of aborted fetuses in milk jugs and containers laying around a clinic with cats running around freely, urine and feces on the floors... yes VAST DIFFERENCE.

The fact is that your "legal provider" still kills innocent human beings for money.

Tart it up however you like with irrelevant details.

Which part?

Gosnell practiced illegally: Gosnell, was not a board-certified obstetrician or gynecologist, performed illegal late term abortions, his clinic was staffed by non-licensed and non-medical staff. He operated illegally. He is a sociopath.

It's not the content of your thread rather the content of your heart.

Instead hawking for keeping all forms of abortion legal, why not look at the alternatives and practicing a little restraint and personal responsibility.

I'm a bit sensitive to this subject so, FWIW, I hope I didn't come down on you too hard and that you do* have love for the innocent in your heart.

Back
Top Bottom