• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Eucharist

Logician Man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Is there any denying that the Christian ritual practiced by certain Christian denominations known as the 'Eucharist' is a form of pseudo-cannibalism ? Why or Why not ?

Is there any denying that the Christian ritual practiced by certain Christian denominations known as the 'Eucharist' is a form of pseudo-cannibalism ? Why or Why not ?

It is a weird ritual with pagan roots.

It is a weird ritual with pagan roots.

As a force fed, confirmed Lutheran in my youth, I was formerly a partaker. Just couldn't shake that images of cannibalism I'd read about in National Geographic. Never could mentally replace the wafer and wine with actual flesh and blood consumption. Probably a mental block to get through the entire process.

As a force fed, confirmed Lutheran in my youth, I was formerly a partaker. Just couldn't shake that images of cannibalism I'd read about in National Geographic. Never could mentally replace the wafer and wine with actual flesh and blood consumption. Probably a mental block to get through the entire process.

I know that the symbolism on it is something that is very very non-jewish. The attitude to blood and eating blood is so very much against the Jewish attitudes that is demonstrates a non-Jewish influence, and confirms to methat the author of the Gospel of Mark was not from a Jewish tradition and background.

Like many of the beliefs and rites of Romanism, transubstantiation was first practiced by pagan religions. The noted historian Durant said that belief in transubstantiation as practiced by the priests of the Roman Catholic system is "one of the oldest ceremonies of primitive religion." The Story Of Civilization, p. 741. The syncretism and mysticism of the Middle East were great factors in influencing the West, particularly Italy. Roman Society From Nero To Marcus Aurelius, Dill. In Egypt priests would consecrate mest cakes which were supposed to be come the flesh of Osiris. Encyclopedia Of Religions, Vol. 2, p. 76. The idea of transubstantiation was also characteristic of the religion of Mithra whose sacraments of cakes and Haoma drink closely parallel the Catholic Eucharistic rite. Ibid. The idea of eating the flesh of deity was most popular among the people of Mexico and Central America long before they ever heard of Christ; and when Spanish missionaries first landed in those countries "their surprise was heightened, when they witnessed a religious rite which reminded them of communion...an image made of flour...and after consecration by priests, was distributed among the people who ate it...declaring it was the flesh of deity..." Prescott's Mexico, Vol. 3.

The Mystery of the Eucharist

Like many of the beliefs and rites of Romanism, transubstantiation was first practiced by pagan religions. The noted historian Durant said that belief in transubstantiation as practiced by the priests of the Roman Catholic system is "one of the oldest ceremonies of primitive religion." The Story Of Civilization, p. 741. The syncretism and mysticism of the Middle East were great factors in influencing the West, particularly Italy. Roman Society From Nero To Marcus Aurelius, Dill. In Egypt priests would consecrate mest cakes which were supposed to be come the flesh of Osiris. Encyclopedia Of Religions, Vol. 2, p. 76. The idea of transubstantiation was also characteristic of the religion of Mithra whose sacraments of cakes and Haoma drink closely parallel the Catholic Eucharistic rite. Ibid. The idea of eating the flesh of deity was most popular among the people of Mexico and Central America long before they ever heard of Christ; and when Spanish missionaries first landed in those countries "their surprise was heightened, when they witnessed a religious rite which reminded them of communion...an image made of flour...and after consecration by priests, was distributed among the people who ate it...declaring it was the flesh of deity..." Prescott's Mexico, Vol. 3.

Interesting...thx for the link Z-guy.....very informative.

Interesting...thx for the link Z-guy.....very informative.

It's a good article. In the Americas magic mushrooms were called flesh of the gods long before Christianity came along.

Nearly the entire Christian religion is plagiarized from previous religions and pagan cults. It is a major cause of its rise to popularity in the middle ages.

Nearly the entire Christian religion is plagiarized from previous religions and pagan cults. It is a major cause of its rise to popularity in the middle ages.

Hush, that kind of talk upsets Christians. They think that their religion is unique.

Hush, that kind of talk upsets Christians. They think that their religion is unique.

It is unique now since all the cults they stole from are no longer around. I think that was also why they did what they did. Want to have big pagan parties on the winter solstice like they did for 1000's of years? OK then we will celebrate the birth of Jesus then instead and we will help you party.

Jesus isn't dead.

Lutherans do not teach transubstantiation so the "cannibalism" nonsense is something you made up to troll the forum.

Lutherans do not teach transubstantiation so the "cannibalism" nonsense is something you made up to troll the forum.

'Take,eat...This is my body "..........'Take, drink.This is my blood. " Lutheran catechism. Words spoken to congregants during Lutheran Eucharist.

'Take,eat...This is my body "..........'Take, drink.This is my blood. " Lutheran catechism.

Consubstantiation, not cannibalism. You can BS the rest of this crew, but not me. You are just trolling.

Consubstantiation, not cannibalism. You can BS the rest of this crew, but not me.

Why did you snip the words the Pastor speaks to the congregants while performing the ritual?

Why did you snip the words the Pastor speaks to the congregants while performing the ritual?

I know what the words of institution are, don't change the subject. Again, the Lutheran churches not teach transubstantiation, which is the doctrine that the elements are literally the body and blood of Christ. I know that because I went through Lutheran catechism myself. Comparing the Eucharist to cannibalism while claiming to be a Lutheran is an egregious lie.

I know what the words of institution are, don't change the subject. Again, the Lutheran churches not teach transubstantiation, which is the doctrine that the elements are literally the body and blood of Christ. I know that because I went through Lutheran catechism myself. Comparing the Eucharist to cannibalism while claiming to be a Lutheran is an egregious lie.

'pseudo-cannibalism'...get your facts straight.. p.s that would be ex-Lutheran...as in over 50 years ago...:lol:

Last edited:
'pseudo-cannibalism'...get your facts straight.. p.s that would be ex-Lutheran...as in over 50 years ago...:lol:

You are just dredging up an argument made by (guess who?) Pagans in the first century who claimed Christians were cannibals, and lo and behold, this crew responds by calling Christianity the pagans! What dishonesty.

And to top it all off you try to tap dance out of claiming to be a Lutheran when you don't even know what the catechism says.

You are just dredging up an argument made by (guess who?) Pagans in the first century who claimed Christians were cannibals, and lo and behold, this crew responds by calling Christianity the pagans! What dishonesty.

And to top it all off you try to tap dance out of claiming to be a Lutheran when you don't even know what the catechism says.

It's been over 50 years since I read the catechism...and I really didn't pay anymore attention to it then than I do now, which is naughtta.....I went to the damn classes because I was forced to...not because I wanted to..I was already a religious skeptic by then .....you have a problem with that ?

It's been over 50 years since I read the catechism...and I really didn't pay anymore attention to it then than I do now, which is naughtta.....I went to the damn classes because I was forced to...not because I wanted to..I was already a religious skeptic by then .....you have a problem with that ?

No, I have a problem with you making dishonest claims about Christianity, since you admit that you know little about it, and whenever I catch you doing it I intend to make sure everybody knows it.

No, I have a problem with you making dishonest claims about Christianity, since you admit that you know little about it, and whenever I catch you doing it I intend to make sure everybody knows it.

I didn't make a claim. I shared my personal story of a Lutheran ritual I was forced to participate in in my youth and asked a question about that Christian ritual. As for your stalking me,go right ahead...that's on you and certainly is no skin off my backside....just so ya know

I always figured the Eucharist was about symbolically becoming one with God. That's the same reason why the faithful are supposed to become sheep in the Lord's flock. The way I figure it, there are only two reasons to have sheep.... to fleece'em and and to eat'em.

Speaking as a recovered Catholic: as a kid I always thought it was really weird when the priest would say the wafer and wine were the body and blood of Jesus, but I sort of accepted it even though it didn't make sense because that's what the priest said and we were taught not to question the dogma.

That's why they have to brainwash kids young, as an adult would find that idea difficult to er.... swallow.

Jesus isn't dead.

The person doesn't need to be dead for a cannibal to eat their flesh and drink their blood. Not even cooked.

But I think we all know (I hope) that this is just a symbol anyway and the wafer and blood don't really turn into the body and blood of anyone who had ever lived.

It's the contextomy logical fallacy- taking another person's words and presenting them out of context to change the meaning instead of addressing what the person actually wrote.

Oh ****, now I'm doing that silly crap with logical fallacies that gfm7175 does (except he usually gets them wrong anyway)

I need to go drink some wine - white, not red.

Back
Top Bottom