• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Eucharist

Oh, but many people are serious about the cannibalism bit. My own sister, a Wiccan priestess/shaman/whatever, and her husband, also a witch and also a former Catholic just loved telling people this, so yesterday wasn't the first time I've Googled about this.

The real reason it is not literally cannibalism is because the bread and wine at no point literally become flesh and blood, even after consumed.

Is there any denying that the Christian ritual practiced by certain Christian denominations known as the 'Eucharist' is a form of pseudo-cannibalism ? Why or Why not ?

"mackin' on baby jeezus" Yeah, transubstantiation is a subject that I was openly critical of in catholic grade school and high school.....got smacked by the nuns a lot

"mackin' on baby jeezus" Yeah, transubstantiation is a subject that I was openly critical of in catholic grade school and high school.....got smacked by the nuns a lot

Wow. So what decade was that? Asking because I've heard first-hand stories from the '30's and '40's, but my baby sister was a "12-year girl" in the late '70's, and she has never said anything about anybody ever being hit. I actually can't imagine it.

You claim to know mine. How many times have you called me an impostor AND been chastised by the moderators for doing it?

But we are getting off the topic.

Yup your lies always go offtopic.

I mostly got the dunce's hat treatment. Humiliation is a great way to teach kids. Not. :mrgreen:

I know that the symbolism on it is something that is very very non-jewish. The attitude to blood and eating blood is so very much against the Jewish attitudes that is demonstrates a non-Jewish influence, and confirms to methat the author of the Gospel of Mark was not from a Jewish tradition and background.

Once again, you haven't done your homework and you are ignorant of numerous Old Testament parallels to the Eucharist.

Nine Ways the Eucharist is Hidden in the Old Testament

https://catholicexchange.com/nine-ways-the-eucharist-is-hidden-in-the-old-testament

Wow. So what decade was that? Asking because I've heard first-hand stories from the '30's and '40's, but my baby sister was a "12-year girl" in the late '70's, and she has never said anything about anybody ever being hit. I actually can't imagine it.

Nuns were beating on students through the 50's and 60's as well. They slowed down as the liberal revolution of the late 60's took hold but still got a few licks in. It really depends on which nuns in which schools as well as what era.

Nuns were beating on students through the 50's and 60's as well. They slowed down as the liberal revolution of the late 60's took hold but still got a few licks in. It really depends on which nuns in which schools as well as what era.

I attended public schools through 10 grade but was graduated from a Sacred Heart school. I never saw any corporal punishment and cannot imagine it. This is not to say that there weren't a couple of nuns who weren't terrifying. But they never even had to raise their voices to be scary. ;)

I attended public schools through 10 grade but was graduated from a Sacred Heart school. I never saw any corporal punishment and cannot imagine it. This is not to say that there weren't a couple of nuns who weren't terrifying. But they never even had to raise their voices to be scary. ;)

If you try hard enough I think you can imagine it. It is not that hard to imagine. I witnessed nuns banging heads against walls and blackboards. I head stories of rulers whacking against knuckles. The best story I ever heard is when it backfired on a nun. My wife's aunt pulled her hand away as the ruler came down and the nun hit herself. Maybe there is a god.

If you try hard enough I think you can imagine it. It is not that hard to imagine. I witnessed nuns banging heads against walls and blackboards. I head stories of rulers whacking against knuckles. The best story I ever heard is when it backfired on a nun. My wife's aunt pulled her hand away as the ruler came down and the nun hit herself. Maybe there is a god.

Oh, there is, and He has a sense of humor. ;)

One of my favorite church stories is the time an Episcopalian priest and temporary rector from "up North" who had managed to offend just about every congregant with gratuitous snipes about the South and who tended toward dramatic expression proclaimed, "Our Fart who art in heaven...."

This was awesome! Bwahahaha!

As for the knuckle-rapping, this was way back in ye olden days, but my mother always said that she fell away from the Catholic church because a nun rapped her knuckles when her brother failed to show up to serve as an altar boy. But I myself never experienced nor witnessed nor heard from either of my little sisters about anything such as this. Maybe it's because we were all Sacred Heart girls and too busy curtseying. I mean, I was a "bad girl" (I chewed gum and got caught smoking in the parking lot, and I can still perform a smartassed, disrespectful curtsey), and nothing ever happened to me except raking pine needles up every freaking Saturday for two years. ;)

Oh, there is, and He has a sense of humor. ;)

One of my favorite church stories is the time an Episcopalian priest and temporary rector from "up North" who had managed to offend just about every congregant with gratuitous snipes about the South and who tended toward dramatic expression proclaimed, "Our Fart who art in heaven...."

This was awesome! Bwahahaha!

As for the knuckle-rapping, this was way back in ye olden days, but my mother always said that she fell away from the Catholic church because a nun rapped her knuckles when her brother failed to show up to serve as an altar boy. But I myself never experienced nor witnessed nor heard from either of my little sisters about anything such as this. Maybe it's because we were all Sacred Heart girls and too busy curtseying. I mean, I was a "bad girl" (I chewed gum and got caught smoking in the parking lot, and I can still perform a smartassed, disrespectful curtsey), and nothing ever happened to me except raking pine needles up every freaking Saturday for two years. ;)

Of course, some nuns now how to PARTY (and steal funds)

https://abc7.com/parents-say-torrance-nuns-embezzled-millions-over-20-years/4925738/

Two. You mean two.

Where there are two, there are more. Of course, anybody should realize that being in a religious order does not stop people from being corruptible or corrupt. Nuns don't get excluded from that.

Where there are two, there are more. Of course, anybody should realize that being in a religious order does not stop people from being corruptible or corrupt. Nuns don't get excluded from that.

That's true. In every human endeavor, you're going to find bad apples. Let's be sure to focus on this rather than on those who selflessly serve in religious orders.

Is there any denying that the Christian ritual practiced by certain Christian denominations known as the 'Eucharist' is a form of pseudo-cannibalism ? Why or Why not ?

.. you'd have to define "pseudo-cannibalism".

Anyone old enough to remember flying saucer penny candy? Two wafer thin somethings stuck together and it had tiny round candy balls inside that rattled? Minus the candy balls, that's the consistency of the eucharist.

I prefer a little meat with my cannibalism and after being raised catholic and ten years of catholic school, I don't care. I'm now and have been for years an atheist.

Is there any Christian on here who absolutely believes in Transubstantiation ?

That is the wine actually transforms into blood and the bread/cracker actually transforms into flesh the moment it touches the believer's lips ?

Ask any Catholic and they immediately become evasive.

That's true. In every human endeavor, you're going to find bad apples. Let's be sure to focus on this rather than on those who selflessly serve in religious orders.

So this brings up the question, do beliefs matter or does behavior matter? Does goodness come from beliefs or from the actions of individuals?

So this brings up the question, do beliefs matter or does behavior matter? Does goodness come from beliefs or from the actions of individuals?

Both.

How does goodness come from beliefs? How does what I believe or what you believe bring goodness into the world? If someone believes in transubstantiation how does that bring goodness into the world? Or any other religious belief for that matter?

How does goodness come from beliefs? How does what I believe or what you believe bring goodness into the world? If someone believes in transubstantiation how does that bring goodness into the world? Or any other religious belief for that matter?

I think you already have all the answers.

Why don't you answer my questions? Explain how beliefs bring goodness. Explain how any beliefs are inherently good.

All beliefs are not inherently good...no one ever said they were...think Hitler, Stalin, ISIS, the list ges on...belief in the One True God is inherently good because the believer tries to bring his thinking in line with God's, instead of relying on his own thinking...

"The fear of Jehovah means the hating of bad.
I hate self-exaltation and pride and the evil way and perverse speech." Proverbs 8:13

"Let your love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is wicked; cling to what is good." Romans 12:9

"But the wisdom from above is first of all pure, then peaceable, reasonable, ready to obey, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial, not hypocritical." James 3:17

Why don't you answer my questions? Explain how beliefs bring goodness. Explain how any beliefs are inherently good.

Actions are the key, not beliefs. One does not need to believe in a god in order to be a decent human being.

Back
Top Bottom