• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The End of the Manual Transmission

Gaius46:

Noooooooooo! All the cars I have ever owned have had manual transmissions! You cannot negotiate deep snow and ice as well with automatics. This is clearly a scheme by car manufacturers to depopulate Canada. I will rage, rage against the dying of the light-touch! I hate change for change's sake.

Very respectfully from a man you have just depressed.
Evilroddy.
Worse than anything, I get into my wife's car once in a while, and I'm driving, I come to a stop sign my right hand goes to the middle and my left foot goes to the floor, and I suddenly remember her Kia is automatic.

My wife has always wanted a
Nissan Cube and a 2009 with a 6sp just came for sale in our neighborhood. Body has a couple of small dings but it is otherwise in good shape. Can't really go wrong for $3000. Add another manual to the stable.
Yeah...but they're so ugly.

I mean, dude, a decent size SUV for 3k? Can't beat it. And it's not using Nissans legendary terrible CVT trans?

God but they're ugly, though.

This is really quite sad. I've owned only manual transmission cars and motorcycles for the past 20-25 years. There is nothing like the feeling of being in complete control that a stick shift gives one. You are - or should be - completely immersed in the task of driving, with all your senses. Dodge recently announced it would no longer offer the Challenger with a manual transmission so mine is one of the last and will probably be worth more over time because it's a rarity - not that I would dream of selling it.

I suppose it has to be that way. Increasingly more automation is the future and with it we will go from being drivers interacting with our machines to passengers. I suppose that's ultimately a good thing because we humans, if I'm being totally honest, suck at operating cars. But I am gonna miss that third pedal

The way I figure it, manual transmission made sense when it gave you better fuel mileage.... but with technology, it's actually the automatic transmissions that give better mileage nowadays, and with less wear and tear. If the computer can do the job better, then why not let them do it? Have at it, KITT.

The way I figure it, manual transmission made sense when it gave you better fuel mileage.... but with technology, it's actually the automatic transmissions that give better mileage nowadays, and with less wear and tear. If the computer can do the job better, then why not let them do it? Have at it, KITT.

Ahem , this is not a question of logic, Sir.

Real men don't have computers in their car.

Lol!

Ahem , this is not a question of logic, Sir.

Real men don't have computers in their car.

Lol!

*L* I don't know about that... Carroll Shelby sure didn't seem to have an issue embracing the new tech when it came online.

I figure whatever gives you an edge. Personally, I seem to find myself appreciating manual transmission inversely to the steepness of the terrain I happen to find myself in.

I learned how to drive on a stick shift, and never did so again. I know some people swear by it, but I never liked it.

Bleh i didnt like doing manual transmission. Didnt want to have to shift gears after every stop. My motorcycle doesnt have that.

Look, Freddie already explained this-

When I'm holding your wheel
Аll I hear is your gear
With my hand on your grease gun
Oooh, it's like a disease, son
I'm in love with my car
Got a feel for my automobile
Get a grip on my boy-racer rollbar
Such a thrill when your radials squeal
Told my girl I'd have to forget her
Rather buy me a new carburettor
So, she made tracks, saying
"This is the end now"
Cars don't talk back
They're just four-wheeled friends, now
When I'm holding your wheel
Аll I hear is your gear
When I'm cruisin' in overdrive
Don't have to listen
To no run-of-the-mill talk jive

I'm in love with my car..

Yeah...but they're so ugly.

I mean, dude, a decent size SUV for 3k? Can't beat it. And it's not using Nissans legendary terrible CVT trans?

God but they're ugly, though.
Lol. My wife is an artist. She loves warped stuff like the cube. To her it's so ugly it's beautiful.

But hey she's happy so life is good.

It's fun. It makes me feel more in control.
That's good enough for me.

It's fun. It makes me feel more in control.
That's good enough for me.

I'm not knocking it. Hell, if I lived somewhere where I could open up a high-performance engine, I'd probably feel the same way. I live in pickup country, though. Lots of off-road and potholes that would probably fold your Challenger in half.

Back
Top Bottom