• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The End of Retirement

If the Bush administration and the banks had not wrecked the economy most people would still have a job. During every Republican run including the Hoover depression the Republicans have left a higher rate of unemployment than what they assumed. It's a statistical fact. George W. Bush assumed an unemployment rate of 4.3%.'Course he also assumed a balanced budget, immediately cut taxes for the wealthy...not once but twice, started two wars...one totally unnecessary and doubled the national debt from $5.7 trillion to almost $12 trillion.
So I've been told. If the Obama administration actually focused like a laser on jobs and the economy, establishing respect and trust in foreign policy and the like, rather than pushing divisive social issues, I would entertain a discussion of Bush's failures. If you think you can fix the past, I urge you to get it underway.

retiring at the age of 70+ is a fools game! Me and my wife intend on moving to a less economically developed country and living like Kings till we die.

I retired in 1993 and I have. I've fished and traveled. By God I earned it. I worked in Oak Ridge around all kinds of toxicity and radiation for 41 years. My wife worked there for 43 years. We're gonna blow it out our asses till we die. We've been to Las Vegas four times in the last eight years and are trying as best we can to spend our kid's inheritance...they don't need it anyway, two of the three have masters degrees and the other is a project director for the DOE earning more than $100K per annum.

Once your kids are able bodied adults you should feel no obligation whatsoever to leave them anything. I am a strong believer in the "make the last check bounce" philosophy. :)

Yeah...the jackwads who were part of the middle class which no longer exists thanks to the last thirty years of Republicans.

I've been around this country a lot longer than most and I have seen the upper 1% take over everything and they will not be satisfied till they have their Lord/Serf society. If you can't see it you're part of it.

Well, sorry your life washed you up on the Island of Bitter Pills. Something tells me you brought that baggage along with you.

retiring at the age of 70+ is a fools game! Me and my wife intend on moving to a less economically developed country and living like Kings till we die.

Why wait till you retire? I'm moving to top a less economically developed county that suffered enough brain drain to raise salaries enough that a base salary with no experience puts you into the 1%.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the gist of this thread is 'if you don't reproduce in quantity, humanity will die out'?

Or was it, 'have kids, damn you, so they can support my Social Security retirement!' ?

Prime stuff, that. :roll:

Why wait till you retire? I'm moving to top a less economically developed county that suffered enough brain drain to raise salaries enough that a base salary with no experience puts you into the 1%.

well we want to open an ex pat bar plus got to wait till the kid is out of the house

---------------

In Latin America, maybe?

Love to move to Costa Rica but all depends on what the economies are doing in 20 years time.
--------------
Costa Rica has been an ex pat destination for decades.
Might be too expensive now.
I was looking at Belize until I found out the medical care ( I don't have any issues yet, but it's a thought ) is so bad, they recommend you go to Guatemala for medical care.
Guate-freaking-mala ???!!!.......land of the deathsquads and military juntas?
Thailand looks good to me.

--------------
Costa Rica has been an ex pat destination for decades.
Might be too expensive now.
I was looking at Belize until I found out the medical care ( I don't have any issues yet, but it's a thought ) is so bad, they recommend you go to Guatemala for medical care.
Guate-freaking-mala ???!!!.......land of the deathsquads and military juntas?
Thailand looks good to me.

Yeh my wife is all about Thailand or even Bali but I think Bali will be too expensive plus I went their a couple of years ago and its full of drunk aussies.

Yeh my wife is all about Thailand or even Bali but I think Bali will be too expensive plus I went their a couple of years ago and its full of drunk aussies.

Are there Aussies that aren't drunk? :)

---------------

In Latin America, maybe?

South Africa is a good destination really cheap, your money goes 10x as far. They also have top notch medical care especially in private clinics.

Why don't liberals want to force most American to retire in the U.S.? All those savings that you're not using to create jobs, and you're taking it all overseas. Hmm, sounds like a liberal meme against big corporations. I wonder if liberals understand their own arguments <all the time>.

South Africa is a good destination really cheap, your money goes 10x as far. They also have top notch medical care especially in private clinics.
-----------

But I've heard SA is an armed camp.
Not wise to venture outside the gates.
Maybe Oscar Pistorious' paranoia isn't unjustified?

-----------

But I've heard SA is an armed camp.
Not wise to venture outside the gates.
Maybe Oscar Pistorious' paranoia isn't unjustified?

In Cape Town it isn't, Johannesburg on the other hand where Pistorius lives is incredibly dangerous. Security in Cape Town is much better as the poilce force is much larger and better trained and most people have some sort of security that when it goes off it notifies a armed response unit. Cape Town and the province it is in the Western Cape are also ruled by the Democratic Alliance instead of the ANC which means the government actually does something. Crime in the city has already been reduced by over 90% by the DA. I also friends who live there and they say it is perfectly fine. South Africa is absolutely breathtaking and in Cape Town most homes have an amazing view of Table Mountain or the Ocean.

Retirement is an invention of the 20th century and will not long outlive it.

When everyone is a senior then nobody is. If there are no young people around to pave the roads, police the streets, weed the yards, fix the roofs, or give people a bed bath then you're going to have to do it yourself.

All over the Western world the birth rate is nose diving, more severely in some countries than in others. In Portugal the effects of the low birth rate are already being felt in terms of declining services and infrastructure. Portugal was once a great empire. Now it is a backwater. Soon it will be a graveyard.

But what else is new? Progressives work for a world in which a man may eat in idleness the bread provided by others and never be called on to fight any battle or feel obligated to do anything. Time was when people like Theodore Roosevelt likened women who opted not to have children to soldiers who ran away in battle or men who refused to support their families. Nowdays? ... one strains to imagine the outrage this sort of attitude would generate. But in the final analysis those who have nothing to contribute, nothing to die for, and nothing to do have nothing to live for, and increasingly Western populations are deciding collectively to check into a Swiss euthanasia clinic.

(Paraphrased from Mark Steyn)

Retirement isn't going to end, it's simply going to have to wait until later. And with jobs becoming increasingly less physical, and people being increasingly healthier at older ages, that will be more possible.

. South Africa is absolutely breathtaking and in Cape Town most homes have an amazing view of Table Mountain or the Ocean.
------------

Hmmm.....and you say my limited (somewhat) retirement money will go 10x as far?
I will investigate.

When everyone is a senior then nobody is. If there are no young people around to pave the roads, police the streets, weed the yards, fix the roofs, or give people a bed bath then you're going to have to do it yourself.

All over the Western world the birth rate is nose diving, more severely in some countries than in others. In Portugal the effects of the low birth rate are already being felt in terms of declining services and infrastructure. Portugal was once a great empire. Now it is a backwater. Soon it will be a graveyard.

But what else is new? Progressives work for a world in which a man may eat in idleness the bread provided by others and never be called on to fight any battle or feel obligated to do anything. Time was when people like Theodore Roosevelt likened women who opted not to have children to soldiers who ran away in battle or men who refused to support their families. Nowdays? ... one strains to imagine the outrage this sort of attitude would generate. But in the final analysis those who have nothing to contribute, nothing to die for, and nothing to do have nothing to live for, and increasingly Western populations are deciding collectively to check into a Swiss euthanasia clinic.

Yep. Retirement is a baby-boomer scam. The generation before Boomers lived large off the labor of that huge group of workers. And, now that the bulk of those workers are retiring, the money is running dry.

------------

Hmmm.....and you say my limited (somewhat) retirement money will go 10x as far?
I will investigate.

Well considering the rand is worth a tenth of a dollar but something worth a dollar here is only a rand there it goes 10x as far. You can but a multimillion rand house on the Garden Route (fancy touristy/retirement area) for only about 300,000$USD.

Yep. Retirement is a baby-boomer scam. The generation before Boomers lived large off the labor of that huge group of workers. And, now that the bulk of those workers are retiring, the money is running dry.

Only if people didn't put money away for themselves and depended on the pittance of Social Security to carry them through.

Retirement isn't going to end, it's simply going to have to wait until later. And with jobs becoming increasingly less physical, and people being increasingly healthier at older ages, that will be more possible.
-------
That's all true.
Another point would be desired quality of retirement life.
I've been taking a monetary hit for the last 5 years, and I've found that I can live comfortably on a MUCH smaller amount of money than I once thought.
When my retirement kicks in next year, I'll actually more than double the amount of money I'm living on now...WOO-HOO!!

P.S. I like your sig.

The people who do plan for a retirement, get their children to help, have the kids necessary, or whatever sacrifices are necessary to plan for this retirement thing, I have no doubt liberals will be there to demonize their behavior and demand they pay their "fair share' to everyone else who is suffering, who are stressed out, in that they have neither planed for, nor saved for, retirement. That's the only scam here.

Earn enough to live off your saved earnings, live below your means such that you can afford to do so. It's not some scam or baby boomers etc. Sure, government funded versions or public pensions, etc., those have elements of scam and insolvency, but not the person who saves and plans and executes on their own retirement plan.

Only if people didn't put money away for themselves and depended on the pittance of Social Security to carry them through.

Nonsense. Medicare is so heavily subsidized that retired people age-70 pay less for healthcare than workers who are 30.

We already don't have enough jobs for everyone between the age of 18 and 65 to have one, why in the world would we want people to work at older ages or earlier ones, or to have to work longer?

With our ever increasing technology allowing us to be more and more productive with a smaller and smaller percent of the potential work force working, we will have no need for people to work til an older age. Only the need to work out issues regarding the distribution of the fruits of our productivity.

Back
Top Bottom