• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The End of Men

With artificial insemination easier and easier to get and afford, I think we'll just be keeping some men around as sex slaves. If and when we decide to let them out of their cages.

Someone has been reading the SCUM Manifesto! :)

The End of Men - Magazine - The Atlantic

Money quote: With few exceptions, the greater the power of women, the greater the country’s economic success.

Any thoughts on where we're headed culturally?

I like to think we are moving towards more balance, where women contribute and gain from society in a way that suits then, and the same for men, and hopefully this balance would bring out the best of both genders. It should have been how things were all along, but with gender discrimination and women now feeling a need to prove themselves in a way that men understand and that gains respect in the world as it is, the fine gender status quo has been greatly damaged. Hopefully, it can be repaired and the outcome is that both genders gain equally but in their own ways, and both are equally respected.

It is true that countries will experience greater economic success as women gain more power, because women tend to have a different approach to problem solving. As it is, most economic issues are only benefitting from the more masculine imput, and what women would be doing if they had the freedom and equality to do so is not being done. Women in fincance roles are doing the same as men are, because a more female approach is not yet recognised as valid. Hopefully, it wont take a rock bottom social and economic crisis, for gender balance to be introduced.

What society has been doing is exploiting women, for the benefit of men.

Many things in society have been for the benefit of men. I'm very glad to see things starting to shift. Personally, I think a fair amount of the problems in this world stem from male egotism.

Men subsidizing women is the old system that is beginning to shift. I personally think that the article overstates the idea of women dominating, but equality is advancing fairly rapidly. The recession is helping this and I view it as one of the few good things to come out of the recession. I highly doubt men are going to become consigned to being "house husbands" or get removed permanently from the workforce, that would be economic suicide to kick out half your country's labor force. No what we're seeing is a rise in equality not female dominance.

There might be point to the female dominance thing. If things have gone so out of balance in to the male side in society, the process of bringing society back into balance will make women very important for a while.

I dont think men will be kicked out of the work force either, but I think they will not find it as easy to achieve as they have done for centuries.

Unfortunately it's the old system that they don't want to give up(monetarily), combined with new privileges.

Just wait, we'll eventually have mandatory, paid leave for new mothers.
That comes at the expense of men as well.

It is about time society put more value on motherhood, and recognised its importance. But, I think adequately recognising its importance should be more than just paid leave for new mothers.

Woo hoo!!! Now affirmative action can work for me! :2razz:

No it wont, because the status of men was not reduced to that of bonded slaves, as womens was.

I am glad that women are making progress, but the article in its entirely leaves out a few key pieces of information. One is that the U.S. is moving towards a service based economy, which means barriers to entry are mostly education and not physical ability. Men still occupy most of the positions in the physical labor force and the types of jobs that no one wants to do. The service industry created a culture of more cushy desk jobs and administrative work. Corporate offices are staffed largely by women, especially at the lower levels, while upper management are still mostly men.

I want to see their source for the claim that most managers are now women because I find that hard to believe.

Managers are not yet often women, because of the way companies are set up and the way people in them work. These things would need to change, in order to make the top jobs desirable to women. They are changing, but very slowly. Maybe that will speed up at some point in time.

I think, many are viewing this, while assuming that society wont change, which is what causes them to not understand.

Many things in society have been for the benefit of men. I'm very glad to see things starting to shift. Personally, I think a fair amount of the problems in this world stem from male egotism.

Me too. Glad to see them starting to shift that is. I want better for my daughter than the sexist crap I have seen in work places and in society.

But, I suppose discrimination against us does not really make us less than men are. It just makes us end up with less of the worlds wealth. I hope my daughter will see it like that, and it wont bug her emotionally as it does me.

Every so often, these silly feminist articles pop up in the news. There never will be an end to men. It's a feminist pipe dream, and quite childish at that. .

I dont think feminists want an end to men. I think, they want women to have the equal social and working rights as men do, and they are making good progress with it too, considering how bad things were in even the most developed countries 200 hundred years ago.

What society has been doing is exploiting women, for the benefit of men.

That's a bit of a stretch in the truth.

Have women held a lower status, yea.
Was it right, no.

Exploited, no.

It is about time society put more value on motherhood, and recognised its importance. But, I think adequately recognising its importance should be more than just paid leave for new mothers.

A female making the choice of being a parent should not be the burden of society.
It's important to some people, particularly parents.
For those that aren't parents, it's not important and it shouldn't be made important.

We women are glad that you men continue to hold onto your fantasies. It makes our job so much easier when you don't see it coming. :)

Of course they see it comming. But, they should in fact be happy about it. Balance will benefit everybody. All this 'battling' of the sexes feels good for nobody. The sooner things get fixed the better.

Me too. Glad to see them starting to shift that is. I want better for my daughter than the sexist crap I have seen in work places and in society.

But, I suppose discrimination against us does not really make us less than men are. It just makes us end up with less of the worlds wealth. I hope my daughter will see it like that, and it wont bug her emotionally as it does me.

Well, in the work force men are still unfortunately dominant (though I am very glad to see that shifting as I said before). However, in social interactions between the two sexes, men fool themselves into thinking that they are in charge when, in many ways, they are total slaves to women. I absolutely adore women who use their sexual prowess as a tool to manipulate men who are deserving of it. Of course, society frowns upon women like these because they consider it disgusting to manipulate. However, I say more power to them. If you have an advantage, take it.

I dont think feminists want an end to men. I think, they want women to have the equal social and working rights as men do, and they are making good progress with it too, considering how bad things were in even the most developed countries 200 hundred years ago.

Exactly. Feminism is about equality. Unfortunately, a fair amount of people don't look at it in any sort of depth and immediately assume that it is some sort of "other side of the coin" sexist propaganda.

It's really easy to climb to the top, when you have people carving out special exemptions for you.

This is what has been happening for men all along. Why were they not protesting against the unfairness of it? And, it was not just a quota. The exemptions were 100% in their favour. And society is still largely set up to suit them, so they should still have more chance of succeeding than women do, despite the quotas which only make things slightly more fair. If a man it not making it, then there is another reason, besides women.

It's interesting to me that the notion of female superiority or dominance is so attractive to (apparently) so many women. Perhaps that is true of both genders... but I certainly don't see the same push from the male side of things to prove, subtlely or otherwise, that men are better than women in any particular fashion.

Hell, this article comes straight out and blasts men for being sub-par on communication, sitting still, focus, etc. I would imagine that if the same approach were used 50 years ago but with the genders swapped, there would be incessant cries of bigotry... and rightfully so.

This is what has been happening for men all along. Why were they not protesting against the unfairness of it? And, it was not just a quota. The exemptions were 100% in their favour. And society is still largely set up to suit them, so they should still have more chance of succeeding than women do, despite the quotas which only make things slightly more fair. If a man it not making it, then there is another reason, besides women.

Women don't do as well in business because it does not naturally suit a lot of them in the first place.
You can't change evolution with good intentions.

Men and women aren't equal, never have been since the beginning.
Why should we now be expected to be equal when we aren't?

It's interesting to me that the notion of female superiority or dominance is so attractive to (apparently) so many women. Perhaps that is true of both genders... but I certainly don't see the same push from the male side of things to prove, subtlely or otherwise, that men are better than women in any particular fashion.

I think that it's the idea of equality more than anything. And just as with any group who is in the minority, they want their day in the sun too. It's understandable. Not that there aren't women who don't love the idea of female superiority. Just read the SCUM Manifesto by Valerie Solanas for an example of that.

Hell, this article comes straight out and blasts men for being sub-par on communication, sitting still, focus, etc. I would imagine that if the same approach were used 50 years ago but with the genders swapped, there would be incessant cries of bigotry... and rightfully so.

Yea I wish people would get over this crap.
Chicks doing dick wagging isn't very attractive.

Maybe one day we'll realize that people are naturally better at some things than others and it won't be a pissing contest of which sexual organs are better.

Women don't do as well in business because it does not naturally suit a lot of them in the first place.
You can't change evolution with good intentions.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the notion that a person having a vagina instead of a penis would make them not do well in business.

Men and women aren't equal, never have been since the beginning.
Why should we now be expected to be equal when we aren't?

They are different biologically, but I fail to see why it is such a big deal to treat them equally in a societal way. They are, after all, human beings as well. Plus, I think the argument of "Well, it's always been that way..so why change it now?" is kind of a cop-out. I think there are a fair amount of men out there who are still enjoying their ride at the top and now that it is slightly threatened they are getting defensive and essentially scared.

Back
Top Bottom