• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The ELF - Organic Transit Vehicle.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Not a car or bicycle, but a blend _ an ELF vehicle.....

4bd9cec299b92619390f6a706700bc57.jpg

Mark Stewart turns quite a few heads as he zips through the streets on his neon green ELF bike. With each pedal, his feet take turns sticking out from the bottom while a gentle motor hums in the background.

What he's driving looks like a cross between a bicycle and a car, the closest thing yet to Fred Flintstone's footmobile, only with solar panels and a futuristic shape.

It's a "green" option for today's commuters.

Needless to say, he's getting lots of questions along the way.

The ELF, or "Organic Transit Vehicle," can go for 1,800 miles on the energy equivalent of a gallon of gasoline. It does not require the insurance, repair and car maintenance costs of the average vehicle. Besides the cost of the occasional new tire, the ELF runs completely off what it costs to charge its battery.

Stewart bought the ELF from Durham-based Organic Transit, which sells them for a base price of $5,000. He said he wanted to avoid the almost $1,000 delivery charge, so he decided to fly down to pick up the bike in person and learn how to operate it before taking the long trip back home.

Stewart's ELF is only about the 40th to come off the production line. While few bike shop workers have seen the contraption, the materials, such as the tires and pedals, are items on your average bicycle.

Organic Transit CEO Rob Cotter took technology from aircrafts, boats and bicycles and incorporated them into a "green" 130-pound vehicle.....snip~

Not a car or bicycle, but a blend _ an ELF vehicle

So whatcha thinks? Looks like it could be future transportation for Major Urban Cities where there is no room to drive. Although one would have to check laws. As it like around here. It would be classified as a motorbike. Which then it isn't allowed to ride down bike trails. 5000 grand for it. :shock:

Might want to pick up a backseat and start a taxi service. :lol:

Useless for most commuters in big cities where some freeway travel is necessary. 5K is way too much.

Mark Stewart turns quite a few heads as he zips through the streets on his neon green ELF bike. With each pedal, his feet take turns sticking out from the bottom while a gentle motor hums in the background.

What he's driving looks like a cross between a bicycle and a car, the closest thing yet to Fred Flintstone's footmobile, only with solar panels and a futuristic shape.

The ELF, or "Organic Transit Vehicle," can go for 1,800 miles on the energy equivalent of a gallon of gasoline. It does not require the insurance, repair and car maintenance costs of the average vehicle. Besides the cost of the occasional new tire, the ELF runs completely off what it costs to charge its battery.

Stewart bought the ELF from Durham-based Organic Transit, which sells them for a base price of $5,000. He said he wanted to avoid the almost $1,000 delivery charge, so he decided to fly down to pick up the bike in person and learn how to operate it before taking the long trip back home.

Stewart's ELF is only about the 40th to come off the production line. While few bike shop workers have seen the contraption, the materials, such as the tires and pedals, are items on your average bicycle.

Organic Transit CEO Rob Cotter took technology from aircrafts, boats and bicycles and incorporated them into a "green" 130-pound vehicle.....snip~

So whatcha thinks? Looks like it could be future transportation for Major Urban Cities where there is no room to drive. Although one would have to check laws. As it like around here. It would be classified as a motorbike. Which then it isn't allowed to ride down bike trails. 5000 grand for it. :shock:

Pretty cool !!
If I could buy one for the price of a scooter $1000 or less,
I'd think about it.

For five thousand dollars, you can by a used car. A real car, not a silly toy like this thing.

This is just another "wonder vehicule" that will never go anywhere

Pretty cool !!
If I could buy one for the price of a scooter $1000 or less,
I'd think about it.

Heya Penn :2wave:.....yeah that price range is a bit high. :shock:

430f650699b92619390f6a7067004856.jpg

Course there is another negative aspect too.

th

No more giving handlebar rides. :2razz:

Looks like a 3 wheel bicycle with a roof, way over priced IMO.

Surprising they didn't have the pedaling recharging the battery.....although it could be worse. :lol:

Just think if ya looked under the hood and found out what the problem was. :shock:

th

I guess the purpose of this product is to appeal to those who don't find the Segway to be wastefully-overpriced enough for their tastes.

I guess the purpose of this product is to appeal to those who don't find the Segway to be wastefully-overpriced enough for their tastes.

Didn't Ford have like the Fiesta or something that was going brand new for 6500? I wouldn't pay 5 grand for that thing. Even if I just had the money to waste.

If they can figure out how to generate enough power to air condition the interior, I would be very interested in it.

If they can figure out how to generate enough power to air condition the interior, I would be very interested in it.

I can't imagine that it'd be practical to do so.

If that thing had doors to seal it well enough to be air conditioned, I think it would make a very efficient “greenhouse”, trapping a lot of heat inside. Even without considering the power source, I think an adequate air conditioning system would add too much to the weight of this vehicle, for it to remain feasible to be powered primarily by the driver pedaling it. As for power for the A/C, I think you're need considerably more power for that than to actually propel the vehicle. You'd probably have to have a small internal-combustion engine to power the A/C, and, of course, a fuel tank for that. And if you're going to go that route, you might as well also use that engine to propel the vehicle.

Whatever the point is supposed to be of this silly vehicle, I don't think you'd be able to air condition it without completely losing that point.

Actually, it may be an electric bicycle. Especially if you HAVE to pedal.

So it MAY be a "bicycle" legally.

And just for reference, you can pay that much for a high end mountain bike or hand made street bike.

Speaking as someone who lives in a dense urban environment (San Francisco) and who hasn't owned a car in several years (because they're a spectacular pain in the ass to manage, and really expensive to park), the ELF looks perfect. I may look into getting one.

Speaking as someone who lives in a dense urban environment (San Francisco) and who hasn't owned a car in several years (because they're a spectacular pain in the ass to manage, and really expensive to park), the ELF looks perfect. I may look into getting one.

Yeah, Chicago is paying boku dollar for parking, especially downtown.

Yeah, Chicago is paying boku dollar for parking, especially downtown.

I wouldn't doubt it. I think parking garages here in the financial district of SF cost more money per month than a studio apartment would in many parts of the country. And street parking in my neighborhood is about as common as unicorn sightings (possibly less so, given the prevalence of psychedelics in SF).

I wouldn't doubt it. I think parking garages here in the financial district of SF cost more money per month than a studio apartment would in many parts of the country. And street parking in my neighborhood is about as common as unicorn sightings (possibly less so, given the prevalence of psychedelics in SF).

We also got those parking meters. Which Chicago sold their soul to some company to put up their new meters for like the next 50 years or so. (exaggerated but still quite an amount of time.) That was done under Daley. Course now.....they want to re-nig on the deal as they can't afford to pay them off.

It's ridiculous with parking. Special Days when to park. Offers up for free parking. People with lots charging whatever an Hour to park here and there. Meters that soak your money. No parking in the winter on this side of the street. Or before 7 am. People fighting for parking spots. Its nuts.

Although I am starting to see those one seater cars. They are a lot smaller Almost like this size here too. China has several like that.

I wouldn't do me a lot of good in Las Vegas. I think if you lived in a smaller town like north of san francisco and any area where that was temperate, it would be a fun vehicle. It's not designed to replace automobiles, it's just a novelty car.

I bet it's a babe magnet. Hippie babes anyway.

I can't imagine that it'd be practical to do so.

If that thing had doors to seal it well enough to be air conditioned, I think it would make a very efficient “greenhouse”, trapping a lot of heat inside. Even without considering the power source, I think an adequate air conditioning system would add too much to the weight of this vehicle, for it to remain feasible to be powered primarily by the driver pedaling it. As for power for the A/C, I think you're need considerably more power for that than to actually propel the vehicle. You'd probably have to have a small internal-combustion engine to power the A/C, and, of course, a fuel tank for that. And if you're going to go that route, you might as well also use that engine to propel the vehicle.

Whatever the point is supposed to be of this silly vehicle, I don't think you'd be able to air condition it without completely losing that point.

Looks awful. Awkward to ride...you would have back pain for sure.

One salient reason why Tesla had the right idea in terms of making environmentally friendly technologies attractive is that they had to be well... attractive. No one is going to take a step back in terms of aesthetics, ease, or comfort aside from activists. This innovation is commercially worthless.

One salient reason why Tesla had the right idea in terms of making environmentally friendly technologies attractive is that they had to be well... attractive. No one is going to take a step back in terms of aesthetics, ease, or comfort aside from activists. This innovation is commercially worthless.

It isn't even innovation it is merely a recumbent tricycle with a plastic shell and a battery

Too wide for the bike lanes and too slow for the roads.

Try again.

And a really, really, really big price tag, for what it is.

Try and find something similar. It's very hard. It's called a Velomobile, and most cost $10,000 without a electric engine, let along a solar panel.

Can you build something for cheaper then the ELF? Yes. How many man hours will you spend in designing a building it? Far more then you may be able to just work at your own specialty and pay these guys for their work.

A Tandem Reverse Trike typically cost's $5,000...stock.

A smaller reverse trike(single) cost's about $3,000....a simple electric conversion to match the ELF's will cost around $1500 (Direct Drive Geared Hub Motor converted).

For some people, Less is more. There is a threshold you cross in all things to where it becomes to much, or just enough. For some people, this is great for their needs, and I think it's awesome this company from their corner.

I live next door to a new urban planned community in Lafayette, La. called River Ranch. It's part of the trend of live/work areas, where businesses and housing are coinciding with shopping areas, in an effort to reduce sprawl. A vehicle like this would be ideal for such new communities. In old fashioned city planning where work and the grocery store are far apart, and housing is just as far, no, this is not a solution. It's not meant to replace what works in old communities. It's supposed to be a tool for new communities.

It might even work in older communities when a trip to the grocery store/shopping center is less than, say, five miles, and there are lower volume side streets to roll on. I wouldn't take this thing down Kaliste Saloom Parkway and Ambassador Caffery Parkway at 5 p.m., but I'd take it on nearby Camelia Boulevard and Settler's Trace Boulevard.

Back
Top Bottom