• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Elegant Universe: a PBS treasure

Spartacus FPV

Better You = Better World
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The Elegant Universe

Its a series of videos on Einsteins string/M Theory, theres 3 hours of footage of truely interesting metaphysics in laymans terms. Its very well filmed and written, and not boring at all. A friend passed it onto me and I consider it be a treasure that some of you guys may enjoy.

How do you guys feel about string theory?

Lachean said:
The Elegant Universe

Its a series of videos on Einsteins string/M Theory, theres 3 hours of footage of truely interesting metaphysics in laymans terms. Its very well filmed and written, and not boring at all. A friend passed it onto me and I consider it be a treasure that some of you guys may enjoy.

Einstein didn't have a string theory.

its a mathematically amazing theory. however, the controversy lies in the fact that none of the theories can be scientifically proven or observed.

alphamale said:
Einstein didn't have a string theory.

True, he only wanted a theory that unified general relativity and quantum mechanics, which string theory claims to do. Some would say it was Einsteins dream

Lachean said:
The Elegant Universe

I watched that movie for my physics class....personally I didn't like it.
You had to wade through about 2 1/2 hours of redundantly repetitous information to get to the 1/2 hour of decent information.

String theory's alright i suppose....the whole 11 dimensions of space time along with the millions of unknowns kinda makes me suspicious of its credibility...
:thinking

goligoth said:
...You had to wade through about 2 1/2 hours of redundantly repetitous information...

These shows are aimed at the large mass of people who have the attention span
of a gnat. Add to that the incessant breaks for advertising in the USA, and you
get the reasons for the repetition. It's even worse when they're shown here with
no breaks - the joins are so obvious.

I have the book Elegant Universe by Brian Greene, that the show is based on. Is one of the most fascinating books I have ever read.

Caution: It will take you much longer than 3 hours to read the book, as opposed to watching the show, but well worth the read.

danarhea said:
I have the book Elegant Universe by Brian Greene, that the show is based on. Is one of the most fascinating books I have ever read.

I'll check it out....

Caution: It will take you much longer than 3 hours to read the book, as opposed to watching the show, but well worth the read.

I should hope so...you know being the most complex train of thought we have known so far...

goligoth said:
I'll check it out....

I should hope so...you know being the most complex train of thought we have known so far...

Greene does a very good job of walking laymen through the special and general theories of relativity and quantum mechanics, then takes time to point out the inconsistencies in both theories - Namely how relativity is good at explaining the large and quantum theory the small, but how both theories cannot be reconciled. One or the other has to be wrong - or both have to be wrong. It is at the point that Greene moves to string theory, and his explanation and reasoning are both eloquent and right to the point in putting together a compelling argument of how string theory could very well be the "theory of everything" we are looking for. This book is an absolute must read.

Last edited:
String theory and the equations relating the various forces in the universe seem just too complicated. E=mc2 simple, the relationship between weak and strong force, simple, electricity and magnetism, simple. Hell even wave functions are simple in contrast to string theory.
I also have a big problem with theories that can neither be observed nor tested.
This is one of those toss your hands up in the air with a big question mark over your head kind of things.

I own the DVD. :mrgreen:

It's really interesting, even though its not proven. I personally like the repitition because it helps me remember the information better.

It would be quite something if String/M Theory were proven. It'd open up a one hell of a can of worms.

It was a great PBS Special. I just rented it.

I have read a lot about this stuff...
The show sums up lots of ideas regarding the theory.

Other great readings...

Michio Kaku:
Hyperspace
Visions

Paul Davies:
About Time

Stephan Hawking:
A Brief history of Time

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/hawking/html/home.html

BodiSatva said:
It was a great PBS Special. I just rented it.

I have read a lot about this stuff...
The show sums up lots of ideas regarding the theory.

Other great readings...

Michio Kaku:
Hyperspace
Visions

Paul Davies:
About Time

Stephan Hawking:
A Brief history of Time

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/hawking/html/home.html

also by Hawkings 'The Universe in a Nutshell' was a great read.

Back
Top Bottom