• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The electrical / Utility Bill for Roommates Question ...

GoNavy

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I'm an Electrical Engineer at UA (Arizona). I'm always at school. And by always I mean probably more than 70 hours each week, with studies, labs, HW, and lectures.

I moved into a housing "unit" which was part of an apartment complex in Tucson. It was nice. My roommates were 19 and 20 and all they wanted to do is smoke weed and go to frat parties. Whatever. I was young once. But now I am in my 30's, having served in the military and now using my GI Bill. When I come home, I usually just stuff my face quickly with a $1 burrito and then pass out from exhaustion.

I never turn on the A/C. Ever. Ever. EVER !!!! I don't use the large fridge and my laundry usage is minimal. By all accounts, my electrical usage was tiny. But after being there for 47 days, my roommate taped a sign outside my door that said I owed him $187 cash - with his Mom was paying the bill to the complex. CASH !!!!!

This bothers me. GREATLY. I am not rich. I sleep on the ground. I don't wear Versace or get the latest Apple products regularly. Every cent that I have is from my military service so I look at each as something I received in exchange for the best years of my life. Blood, sweat, and tears money. So suffice to say - I take money issues VERY seriously.

After seeing that stupid sign taped outside my door, I spent over 5 HOURS on my precious Saturday morning (when I should have been studying for a midterm ... which in turn I did awful on ... which in turn kept me from getting an 'A' ... so f*&king pissed about that) researching Watt usage on common household appliances, Tucson kwh rates, and generating a reasonable "window" of how much money I should be expected to pay every month. After painstaking calculations, I calculated that I wasn't even using $25 per month, which would be about $38 for a month and a half.

First question - if you move into an apartment on the 28th of the month, and the bill is posted on the 29th - should you be expected to "chip in" for that bill? What if you move in on the 27th ... or the 26th? See where I'm going? At what point are you EXPECTED to chip in for a monthly electrical bill?

Second question - and here is the meat of the burger of this post - WHY does the "Divide the Bill Evenly" rule exist? Because people are too lazy or irresponsible to account for their actions? Or is trust such a 20th century concept that people will lie through their teeth and sleep like a baby in order to f*&k someone over on a utility bill? Because, that's not me. Let me use a metaphor:

If you are hanging out with your friends and you all go to a restaurant ... but you aren't feeling well, so you only order a $5 salad and some water ... and your friends are STARVING !!! as they continue to order filet mignon, lamb chops, lobster tail, sauvignon blanc, Don Perignon, and creme souffle ... and the final bill comes back at $210 !!!! WHY THE F*&K is it "normal" convention to split the bill ?? Why should someone who ordered a $5 salad be EXPECTED to chip in $70 !! ???

WHY is this metaphor ANY DIFFERENT from the roommate convention? What it comes down to is that responsible people pay more money for irresponsible people. Which is fine ... if you are a father or mother. But roommates ?? Yeah. Sorry.

All it is is Distribution. Communism.

I can't believe my way of thinking is criticized and ridiculed.

So, your roommates are 19 and 20? I get that you're upset but confused as to why you think they would want you to pay them a bunch of money. My advice is to figure out how to settle your bill with them and find a place of your own or with other people your age.

I would suggest you find a new place to live, your roommates suck. Unless you signed a contract saying that you would pay 1/3 of the utilities you do not have to pay anything.

I'm an Electrical Engineer at UA (Arizona). I'm always at school. And by always I mean probably more than 70 hours each week, with studies, labs, HW, and lectures.

I moved into a housing "unit" which was part of an apartment complex in Tucson. It was nice. My roommates were 19 and 20 and all they wanted to do is smoke weed and go to frat parties. Whatever. I was young once. But now I am in my 30's, having served in the military and now using my GI Bill. When I come home, I usually just stuff my face quickly with a $1 burrito and then pass out from exhaustion.

I never turn on the A/C. Ever. Ever. EVER !!!! I don't use the large fridge and my laundry usage is minimal. By all accounts, my electrical usage was tiny. But after being there for 47 days, my roommate taped a sign outside my door that said I owed him $187 cash - with his Mom was paying the bill to the complex. CASH !!!!!

This bothers me. GREATLY. I am not rich. I sleep on the ground. I don't wear Versace or get the latest Apple products regularly. Every cent that I have is from my military service so I look at each as something I received in exchange for the best years of my life. Blood, sweat, and tears money. So suffice to say - I take money issues VERY seriously.

After seeing that stupid sign taped outside my door, I spent over 5 HOURS on my precious Saturday morning (when I should have been studying for a midterm ... which in turn I did awful on ... which in turn kept me from getting an 'A' ... so f*&king pissed about that) researching Watt usage on common household appliances, Tucson kwh rates, and generating a reasonable "window" of how much money I should be expected to pay every month. After painstaking calculations, I calculated that I wasn't even using $25 per month, which would be about $38 for a month and a half.

First question - if you move into an apartment on the 28th of the month, and the bill is posted on the 29th - should you be expected to "chip in" for that bill? What if you move in on the 27th ... or the 26th? See where I'm going? At what point are you EXPECTED to chip in for a monthly electrical bill?

Second question - and here is the meat of the burger of this post - WHY does the "Divide the Bill Evenly" rule exist? Because people are too lazy or irresponsible to account for their actions? Or is trust such a 20th century concept that people will lie through their teeth and sleep like a baby in order to f*&k someone over on a utility bill? Because, that's not me. Let me use a metaphor:

If you are hanging out with your friends and you all go to a restaurant ... but you aren't feeling well, so you only order a $5 salad and some water ... and your friends are STARVING !!! as they continue to order filet mignon, lamb chops, lobster tail, sauvignon blanc, Don Perignon, and creme souffle ... and the final bill comes back at $210 !!!! WHY THE F*&K is it "normal" convention to split the bill ?? Why should someone who ordered a $5 salad be EXPECTED to chip in $70 !! ???

WHY is this metaphor ANY DIFFERENT from the roommate convention? What it comes down to is that responsible people pay more money for irresponsible people. Which is fine ... if you are a father or mother. But roommates ?? Yeah. Sorry.

First, thank you for your service.

Second, congratulations on making the very important choice to go to college and use the benefit that you earned by your service.

Third, welcome to the world of fiscal conservatism. Not the modern GOP, but Goldwater Fiscal Conservatism.

Fourth, you're screwed. Unless there's a meter on each room that allows you divide the kWH's used by each person, like a bill at a restaurant will do with food ordered, or you have a rental agreement that includes utilities, then you owe one third. Not an amount commensurate with your actual usage, but one third of the actual utility bill. You can try to negotiate, but that will only lead to something happening to your stuff when you're not around.

Fifth, get new roommates or a new place to live. GTFO, in other words.

Sixth, good luck, and thank you again for your service.

Do you have a lease / rental agreement? If yes, what does it say about utilities. If no, your screwed.

imo, I believe you should move, if you can break the lease, or if no lease, give them short notice your gone.

Thank you for your service.

- Your more tolerant to heat than me. (lived in phoenix many hears, now up on the rim). I could not image even in Tucson going without A/C.

Sorry to say, this is one of those lessons in life we all learn as time goes by. Next time, I'm sure you'll ensure you know all the details related to expenses BEFORE you move into a shared accommodation relationship. After the fact, when the bills are due, is no time to be hashing out the details.

I'd also like to thank you for your service to your country. I'd hope that you can work something out and move on to a better situation.

While doing your theoretical calculations on your usage, did you use the same level of detail to go over the bill with this guy that left the note?

That sounds high for your share, even when split evenly! I'd go over it with a fine tooth comb, and either pay by check or get a receipt when you tender the funds - a simple jotted down note dated & initialed by both of you would suffice, I suspect.

I also would not let their age and immaturity intrude into their business deals with you. If they want your money, let them show you the proper documentation (bill & split numbers) and have them accept proper payment with documentation of your payment. I wouldn't go down to their level, but make them come up to yours! Besides, you've got the money they want/need so you're in the driver's seat.

And no, in general terms bills are based upon the days in the lease (prorated), unless agreed-upon in a different manner.

I feel for you, because I hated young roommates when I was young myself (17-19), and I can't even imagine how much more I'd hate them in my 30's! Yowsa! A thirty-something ex-military EE student has to be a complete disconnect from 19-20y.o. pot smoking frat-party boys! Yowsa'^2!

Good luck!

I don't see how this could be an issue that you didn't know about til you moved in. Did you agree to pay half of the utilities? Did you ask what the typical utility bill was before moving in? If you think you can renegotiate since you don't use much electricity, then go for it, but I wouldn't be very happy if someone rented a room and then started complaining when I asked them to pay what they agreed to pay.

You pay the percentage of the month that you were living there. If you were there for 1 day of the month then you pay your half of 1/30 of that months bill. Increase for each day you lived there that month.

Even if you don't turn on the AC, you still benefit from it being on in the house. Or say the hot water heater. Even if you aren't taking a shower in the middle of the day, it's keeping the water warm for when you get home.It's basically impossible to really figure out how much electricity you are using every month. If you had two people living in a place and they added it up like you did they would each say they used much less than half just because they missed so much. Besides, if you shut everything off and left the place for an entire month, your electric bill would be more than 0 just from leaked wattage.
This is very different than the restaurant visit because the restaurant gives you an itemized receipt of food that you ate and the cost of them. It's extremely easy to split, as well as the fact that it's not a recurring thing every month that requires constant monitoring of every minute you used even a watt of electricity which is insanity.

Also, if someone asking you to chip in for the electricity bill has you so worked up that you messes with your schooling, maybe you should consider seeing a counselor over anger issues or something? At least from what I'm reading in your post it seems that this is bothering you to an extent that might seem a bit unreasonable, though clearly you might just sound more frustrated then you really are and I'm not picking it up due to the limitations of the written word.

I applaud you for your hard work and for your service to the country. Good luck resolving your issue.

You served in the military while these fluck tards were still puking up strained peas in their highchairs. You understand, and probably relish some form of disciplined studying................they don't.

Get the hell away from these partying mommies boys, and get in with some more mature people like yourself.

If you're figuring out KWh and trying to divide the bill that way you're doing WAY more work than you should. Just split it 3 ways and be done with it. As far as paying 1/3 of a full month when you had only moved in there for a day or two of that month is worth arguing.

Just remember, it's only for a little while that you have to deal with that kind of thing. After you finish school and get a job you'll see how silly sweating that stuff was.

First, thank you for your service.

Second, congratulations on making the very important choice to go to college and use the benefit that you earned by your service.

Third, welcome to the world of fiscal conservatism. Not the modern GOP, but Goldwater Fiscal Conservatism.

Fourth, you're screwed. Unless there's a meter on each room that allows you divide the kWH's used by each person, like a bill at a restaurant will do with food ordered, or you have a rental agreement that includes utilities, then you owe one third. Not an amount commensurate with your actual usage, but one third of the actual utility bill. You can try to negotiate, but that will only lead to something happening to your stuff when you're not around.

Fifth, get new roommates or a new place to live. GTFO, in other words.

Sixth, good luck, and thank you again for your service.

What a perfect and well meaning post. Outstanding, and thank you for providing the opportunity to read it. :thumbs:

That sounds high for your share, even when split evenly!

We're talking Tucson during monsoon. It's hot and muggy. My electric bill was over $300 last month and I keep the house at 80°.

We're talking Tucson during monsoon. It's hot and muggy. My electric bill was over $300 last month and I keep the house at 80°.
Yeah, but he's only got a room.

Change the dynamic of the housing arrangement by banging the mom. The risk that you could become their father may change their attitude.

Then again, go by the agreement in place and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah when one has roommates one normally splits the bill evenly with number of roommates way too much work to try and figure out each person's share. Also I'm wondering if the bill included the security deposit. At any rate I'd want a copy of the bill.

That being said this roommate situation between you and the young men ain't gonna be good for any of you. I doubt very much they're trying to screw you over but I guarantee they're picking up on your anger and condisention.

Tell them that if they want to split, fine. But you'll be cranking the AC, getting an ice chest, a flat screen TV to run 24/7, etc.

I mean, you're paying for it, may as well use it, correct?

Also, copy of the bill, or they're swindling you.

Unless you have some specific deal worked out or a way to accurately measure (not reconstruct) individual electric use, you may be screwed. Bills with housemates are split.

However, I would not pay for a full 1/3 of a month if you only lived there for a fraction of a month. You're certainly on solid ground demanding that that month's contribution be reduced to the percentage of the month you were actually there, and demanding to see the bill(s).

We're not looking forward to August's bill. It's been virtually 100 degrees every day here, and humid to boot. (We keep it at 72 because we hate money)

Figuring out your "fair share" your way is not going to cut it. A three way even split of rent and utilities each month and on time is reasonable for three sharing an apartment. Never pay in cash and never "pay back" someone not named on the lease or utility bill.

How did you manage to get a $561 monthly electric bill? That sounds ridiculous for one month.

Back
Top Bottom