• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Electoral College Will Destroy America

The electoral college is the main reason the US is a great country. The 50 states have individual governments freely elected. If you go to popular vote for president then you might as well do away with the states because everyone will be homogenized into the One State of America.

When you guys can get 38 states to agree, let us know.

The electoral college is the main reason the US is a great country. The 50 states have individual governments freely elected. If you go to popular vote for president then you might as well do away with the states because everyone will be homogenized into the One State of America.

That's their goal.

let's KEEP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

once Texas turns blue then no Republican will have a voice in Presidential elections for 50 years.

once Texas turns blue then no Republican will have a voice in Presidential elections for 50 years.

Over Davy Crockett's dead body.

The Electoral College Will Destroy America | The New York Times

And no, New York and California would not dominate a popular vote.

67e98530-1f76-11e9-9c64-c9c78a3d50c7-rimg-w526-h295-gmir.jpg

No other democratic country in the world uses a mechanism such as the EC. It is an anachronism and needs to be tossed onto the ash heap of history.

The Electoral College matters because location matters, pure and simple. I've helped cover local politics for decades and seen firsthand how population centers can starve their rural neighbors of resources. Strategies like the Electoral College are meant to put the finger on the scales toward regional interests.

My favorite example is the Great Lakes -- giant repositories of fresh drinking water. Is it in the best interest of bordering states to put Great Lakes policy up to a national popular vote? Such a system inevitably concentrates power in population centers, despite what this writer claims.

When you have a super-concentrated population that shares a regional interest that directly competes with a more sparsely populated region's interests, then it makes sense to mitigate -- however slightly -- some of the undue influence.

I guess that's why you need the wall to come down. You haven't gotten quite enough illegals in yet. You'll need to have more before you give them blanket amnesty and a Democrat registration card. There is nothing more cynical and repulsive than leftwingers on a quest for permanent power at the expense of the country.

The Electoral College matters because location matters, pure and simple. I've helped cover local politics for decades and seen firsthand how population centers can starve their rural neighbors of resources. Strategies like the Electoral College are meant to put the finger on the scales toward regional interests.

My favorite example is the Great Lakes -- giant repositories of fresh drinking water. Is it in the best interest of bordering states to put Great Lakes policy up to a national popular vote? Such a system inevitably concentrates power in population centers, despite what this writer claims.

When you have a super-concentrated population that shares a regional interest that directly competes with a more sparsely populated region's interests, then it makes sense to mitigate -- however slightly -- some of the undue influence.

This is way too logical and fact based. No argument, however rational, can compete with a maniacal thirsting for power and control of others.

Well, it would be the exact ratio of the two states population.

So if we take the ten smallest states, and each state has 2 Senators, that is 20% of the Senate. Now if they have less than five percent of the population in those 10 smallest states, that would be disproportionately a factor of four fold since that is the multiple number.

Is that correct?

The Electoral College Will Destroy America | The New York Times

And no, New York and California would not dominate a popular vote.

67e98530-1f76-11e9-9c64-c9c78a3d50c7-rimg-w526-h295-gmir.jpg

No other democratic country in the world uses a mechanism such as the EC. It is an anachronism and needs to be tossed onto the ash heap of history.

We're a union of the several states, 50 of them at this moment. We're not one huge mass direct democracy. So each state having their own say goes along with being a union of the several states. I suppose you could dissolve the union if you've a mind to. But I think that's been tried before.

I guess that's why you need the wall to come down. You haven't gotten quite enough illegals in yet.

i'm speaking of legal voters.

now that your vote never counts, i want all Republicans to never have their vote count in Texas (like they never count in Cali, NY, etc).

Over Davy Crockett's dead body.

Davey Crockett was from Tennesse, he was an adventurer that made a bad choice going to the Alamo.

Davey Crockett was from Tennesse, he was an adventurer that made a bad choice going to the Alamo.

Well that's just like your opinion man. Because you hate strong willed successful white men. He helped create the state of Texas and we need their electoral votes.

So if we take the ten smallest states, and each state has 2 Senators, that is 20% of the Senate. Now if they have less than five percent of the population in those 10 smallest states, that would be disproportionately a factor of four fold since that is the multiple number.

Is that correct?
To the average of the rest yes.

But if go by a state by state basis, Wyoming probably has 15 or 20 times the voting power. In would have to look the up.

This thread proves that their is a misconception about why the Founders created the Electoral College in the first place; I haven't read all the posts but, at least into page 3 nobody has a clue.

The reason for the EC, according to Hamillton in Federalist 68 is to:

The process of election affords a moral certainty, that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications. Talents for low intrigue, and the little arts of popularity, may alone suffice to elevate a man to the first honors in a single State; but it will require other talents, and a different kind of merit, to establish him in the esteem and confidence of the whole Union, or of so considerable a portion of it as would be necessary to make him a successful candidate for the distinguished office of President of the United States.

In other words they didn't trust that the "general populous" could resist the the influence of a man with "Talents for low intrigue, and the little arts of popularity, " and prevent such a man (Donald J. Trump) from becoming President. So they came to the compromise that the "general populous" (I'm going to call it MOB would

the people of each State shall choose a number of persons as electors

that would, "presumbably" be above the influence of such a person of "low intrigue and arts of popularity" (Donald J. Trump).

Well, we saw how that's worked out.

The upshot is that the Founders didn't trust the "MOB", and in spite of getting so much right, they got that wrong. The founders did not trust "the mob" with the sole authority to choose the "Chief Magistrate", but modern science has proven they should have had more confidence in We The People. Individuals in a mob rarely make the right choice, BUT when averaged together "the mob's" choice zeroes in on the correct choice. That's been proven in many studies, many ways; the simplest example is when a large number of people are asked to guess the number of Jelly-Beans in a jar their guesses vary wildly, but, when averaged together the average of their choices is (almost invariably) very close to correct. Before you get hung up on that simple example or Jelly-Beans read up on it, it's quite amazing.

Anyway, I believe in We The People, the Whole American Experiment proves that, as bad as it is, OUR Constitution beats hell out of the next best thing ... EVER ... in the history of the world! IF the Constitution has failings, and the Founders knew it did - hence the provision for Amendments, the one big one is they, the Founders didn't put quite enough faith in WE THE PEOPLE.

The EC has failed in it's duty and science has proven the PEOPLE are quite capable of making the right choice. AND, in acuality, States would be better reprsented by a popular vote:

The Electoral College doesn't benefit small states. What it does is even dumber.

The Electoral College doesn't benefit small states. What it does is even dumber.

Last edited:
No it doesn't. The power is only unequal because the part of Congress meant to represent population is arbitrarily capped and has been for over a hundred years.

Incorrect. Take away that cap and there is still a vast imbalance in the senate. You are talking House.

The Electoral College Will Destroy America

probably not. i think that the two tribal system will probably do that long before the EC has a chance. however, i support its repeal anyway.

probably not. i think that the two tribal system will probably do that long before the EC has a chance. however, i support its repeal anyway.

I don't know... it enables minority rule and minority rule will bring down any government.

I don't know... it enables minority rule and minority rule will bring down any government.

it definitely helps one party and hurts the other. twice in less than twenty years.

Incorrect. Take away that cap and there is still a vast imbalance in the senate. You are talking House.

You're barking up the wrong tree. The Constitution is ALL about "States Rights", before the 17th Amendment Senators were elected/appointed by their STATE, IMHO they still should be. This made/emphasized, and in actuallity, the point that the HOUSE was the representitive of the people, the Senate was the representitive of the States.<- period

The Electoral College is a puzzling system that often has people scratching their heads about how it works and why we use it. It decreases voter turnout, polarizes our country, and turns the Presidential election into a contest among a few “swing” states. More and more Americans are fed up with this antiquated system and would like to see it abolished.

The League of Women Voters believes that the direct-popular-vote method for electing the President and Vice-President is essential to representative government and that, therefore, the Electoral College should be abolished. The League has held this position since 1970 and has reaffirmed it several times, most recently in 2018.

Well that's just like your opinion man. Because you hate strong willed successful white men. He helped create the state of Texas and we need their electoral votes.

I wasn't arguing that, he gave his life for Texas' independence from Mexico; but I'll bet he thought that he ****ed up in choosing that battle. I don't hate anyone, especially AmeriCAN hero's; like Davy Crockett; but really, I D O N ' T H A T E ... ANYONE!

Not even Donald Trump. :roll:

I have little doubt that, if the situation were reversed, some republicans would be crying the same thing, and we would not hear a peep out of dems.

Popular vote could tear the country apart, because most states are conservative, but can’t overcome Cali and NY to get properly represented.

geographic regions need representation, because of different culture/lifestyles.

There are no “states” in a popular vote.

Back
Top Bottom