• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Electoral College Will Destroy America

The Electoral College is not what makes the United States a republic.

I never said it was. the US is a republic not a true democracy. We are not 1 nation but 50 individual states united together.
that is why we have things like state sovereignty and states rights.

The EC gave us those Presidents. So your argument falls short.

And in reality you have no idea how many more people may have voted in those elections, possibly for the other guy, had they felt their votes actually mattered, would actually be worth as much as votes by people who live in less populated states.

This particularly applies to Nixon, who used the EC and racial divide in the South to get elected. He had a "Southern Strategy" that relied heavily on the EC.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Had it been the popular vote the exact same Presidents would have been elected.

Each garnered the popular vote for their election.

If you wish to play the "What if" card.....

What if the questionable votes in Nixon / Kennedy had been disallowed?

What if the South didn't boycott the 1860 election?

What if...

What if....

Had it been the popular vote the exact same Presidents would have been elected.

Each garnered the popular vote for their election.

If you wish to play the "What if" card.....

What if the questionable votes in Nixon / Kennedy had been disallowed?

What if the South didn't boycott the 1860 election?

What if...

What if....

You are going off of results that came about with an EC in place. You dont know that more people may not have came out to vote (or even that fewer would have voted) if they went into the election with all potential voters knowing their vote would matter, regardless of where they lived. The EC in place changes the dynamic of the popular vote, to at least some degree.

But even if you go off of just those votes, it still shows that they won the EC and were President, so it makes the popular vote, in those cases, neutral.

That is why I prefer proportional rather than winner take all.
And I and many others prefer no EC, popular vote and/or ranked choice voting.

1) Elections are not "direct democracy." Direct democracies are those in which the citizens make policy directly; if you're discussing the mechanics by which an elected representative is chosen, you are by definition not talking about direct democracy.

2) States are not actually voting blocs, that's an illusion created by the Electoral College. Clinton got 8.7 million votes in California and 4.6 million in New York in 2016. You think those 13.3 million Americans would somehow have dictated to the other 116 million people who voted for one of the two-party candidates in 2016? How would that work? What does that even mean?

1) thank you language police.
2) if they weren't why is California run so differently than say Texas or Tennessee?

Trump, moments ago:

If you take the blue states out we’re at a level that I don’t think anybody in the world would be at...

To hear a president talk like this during a national (international, really) crisis is vile. The Electoral College really is destroying America.

Trump, moments ago:

To hear a president talk like this during a national (international, really) crisis is vile. The Electoral College really is destroying America.
the electoral college is very smart, thank God for the wisdom of our founders! Q 2024

Back
Top Bottom