• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Dune trailer has finally been released!

NWO_Spook

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

I eagerly await Denis Villeneuve's interpretation of this sci-fi classic. His Blade Runner 2049 was an exceptional film and I expect this will be of a similar high standard. Thankfully it will redeem the failure of Lynch's 1984 interpretation.

Last edited:
'That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence' ~ C. Hitchens

There is no evidence for this. I dismiss this premise.

'That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence' ~ C. Hitchens

There is no evidence for this. I dismiss this premise.

Good for you, now are you interested in this film? I'm excited by this release, as I've enjoyed the story and its social, political and religious commentary since I was a teen.

Last edited:
Looks OK. I just hope the theatres where I am opens up when it premiers, otherwise I will not be a happy man.

I eagerly await Denis Villeneuve's interpretation of this sci-fi classic. His Blade Runner 2049 was an exceptional film and I expect this will be of a similar high standard. Thankfully it will redeem the failure of Lynch's 1984 interpretation.

Back in the last century I spent a week recovering from a gut wrenching case of the flu and I read 2-3 of the books. Is this flick starting from the beginning?

I'm insanely excited for this. Lynch's film was such a let down, but Villeneuve should be the right director for it.

Back in the last century I spent a week recovering from a gut wrenching case of the flu and I read 2-3 of the books. Is this flick starting from the beginning?

Yes, but from what I've read, it will be presented in two parts about a year apart.

I'm insanely excited for this. Lynch's film was such a let down, but Villeneuve should be the right director for it.

I agree, Villenueve is a fan and thats why his Bladerunner sequel was excellent, because he was devoted to it. Lynch wasnt a fan and thats why his take wasnt that great. The same thing can be said for Verhoeven when he directed Starship Troopers.

I’m glad someone else though the Lynch version was a loser. Slow, pedantic, pretentious!

I agree, Villenueve is a fan and thats why his Bladerunner sequel was excellent, because he was devoted to it. Lynch wasnt a fan and thats why his take wasnt that great. The same thing can be said for Verhoeven when he directed Starship Troopers.

Starship Troopers was nothing remotely like the book. The only thing that was similar were the names.

Oh, has anyone seen this documentary?

Jodorwosky was supposed to direct Dune long before Lynch (and before Star Wars). His take on the material was mindblowing (Salvador Dali as the emperor, Mick Jagger as the bad guy, it would have been like a 6 hour movie, etc.), but sadly the movie fell through and it destroyed his career. It's a great what-if if he did get it made.

Oh, has anyone seen this documentary?

Jodorwosky was supposed to direct Dune long before Lynch (and before Star Wars). His take on the material was mindblowing (Salvador Dali as the emperor, Mick Jagger as the bad guy, it would have been like a 6 hour movie, etc.), but sadly the movie fell through and it destroyed his career. It's a great what-if if he did get it made.

Yes, I have seen that and I used to have a portfolio of Foss's preliminary artwork, but it was lost in a flood.

Yes, I have seen that and I used to have a portfolio of Foss's preliminary artwork, but it was lost in a flood.

Ugh thats sad. I would be devastated if it happened to me. :(

Ugh thats sad. I would be devastated if it happened to me. :(

I was! They were only prints mind, but the portfolio was rare, and it is unlikely that I'll ever see another. In reference to your earlier comment, even though I love some of the Star Wars franchise, I was shocked by how much Lucas 'borrowed' from Herbert.

Plus, Villenueve has the right style for Dune. He excels at broody, atmospheric works that don't rely on excessive dialogue or exposition. And the cast is looking excellent, I wasn't sold on Oscar Isaac as Leto at first, but seeing the trailer and stills from the movie has got me on board.

I love Vehoeven's Starship Troopers, for the exact opposite reasons I love Heinlein's novel.

I love Vehoeven's Starship Troopers

yUM9xMy.jpg

Plus, Villenueve has the right style for Dune. He excels at broody, atmospheric works that don't rely on excessive dialogue or exposition.

I cannot begin to imagine how he will interpret the landscape of Giedi Prime.

Giedi Prime - Dune Wiki - Frank Herbert, David Lynch, Sandworms

And the cast is looking excellent, I wasn't sold on Oscar Isaac as Leto at first, but seeing the trailer and stills from the movie has got me on board.

Agreed, but I have only seen him as Poe Dameron and the inventor in Ex Machina (I can't remember the character's name).

Last edited:
So... Only this year did I first watch the 1984 movie and I was... Somewhat mesmerized.

The movie was quite a big mess and I think it’s objectively bad... But the kind of, very, very general story stayed with me, I don’t know why.

But this looks... Interesting.

I have not read the books, but from what I understand it’s quite a big undertaking to tell this story and I worry that they probably still can’t do it justice in this film, but I will definitely watch it though, something about Dune 1984, bad as it was, stayed with me and I have to see if this can do better in telling this story.

Every attempt at Dune has been complete and utter crap. That said, the cast is pretty extraordinary and screams, “We’re doing it for real now...no, really.” So I’m cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:
So... Only this year did I first watch the 1984 movie and I was... Somewhat mesmerized.

The movie was quite a big mess and I think it’s objectively bad... But the kind of, very, very general story stayed with me, I don’t know why.

But this looks... Interesting.

I have not read the books, but from what I understand it’s quite a big undertaking to tell this story and I worry that they probably still can’t do it justice in this film, but I will definitely watch it though, something about Dune 1984, bad as it was, stayed with me and I have to see if this can do better in telling this story.

Watchmen was created specifically so that it couldn’t be made into a movie. CGI basically destroyed that aim. The Dune books, however, is a story that to this day waves a red carpet in front of Hollywood and says, “Try it, bitch.” To this day, Hollywood has failed. It’s such a wide-spanning and abstract idea that to adapt it to a screen positively requires disaster.

Back
Top Bottom