• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Dumbing Down of America: Who Lit the Fuse?

imyoda

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Republicans Only Contribute to the Dumbing Down of America

…………."I often engage with Stupidparty disciples on Twitter or Facebook and occasionally even on this website. Very quickly a pattern emerges. They post some thought that can usually be put on a bumper sticker. I ask for substance, some evidence of intelligent thinking. 99% of the time, in spite of thrice repeated appeals, nothing is forthcoming—they literally have nothing—no substance, no intellect and ultimately once stripped bare it can be seen that they have lost all decency, their humanity and if there is such a thing—their very soul."…………..

Remember: Ignorance is a decision………………… And is a curable condition by the affected one making a decision to change and commit to some very hard work……….

Sounds like most people I talk to, whether left or right. Way too many people have no rational reason for the things they believe, it's all emotion and no substance.

…………."I often engage with Stupidparty disciples on Twitter or Facebook and occasionally even on this website. Very quickly a pattern emerges. They post some thought that can usually be put on a bumper sticker. I ask for substance, some evidence of intelligent thinking. 99% of the time, in spite of thrice repeated appeals, nothing is forthcoming—they literally have nothing—no substance, no intellect and ultimately once stripped bare it can be seen that they have lost all decency, their humanity and if there is such a thing—their very soul."…………..

Remember: Ignorance is a decision………………… And is a curable condition by the affected one making a decision to change and commit to some very hard work……….

I think imagining that generations past did things 'right / with higher intelligence / great reason' is a fallacy that repeats itself generation to generation - and it's not at truth, but simply the false belief that 'my time was the right time - and now it's all gone wrong because it's different'.

Knowing all the efforts to keep groups of people OUT of politics (women and blacks to name just two) and to buy votes and faux support and favoritism (evidence going far before the founding of our current government state in the US) ... I'd say that things are no more corrupt and skewed now than ever before.

I think imagining that generations past did things 'right / with higher intelligence / great reason' is a fallacy that repeats itself generation to generation - and it's not at truth, but simply the false belief that 'my time was the right time - and now it's all gone wrong because it's different'.

Knowing all the efforts to keep groups of people OUT of politics (women and blacks to name just two) and to buy votes and faux support and favoritism (evidence going far before the founding of our current government state in the US) ... I'd say that things are no more corrupt and skewed now than ever before.

No what the problem is IMHO simple ignorance..........

knowing nothing.....

to have others to find the facts for you.....

and then have them think for you..........

And then being proud to freely demonstrate it.......

It is not a matter of intelligence........or a trick/plan/effort to prevent one from of exclusion..........it is the act to remain ignorant........a personal decision to remain stupid.....

That is what the posting means.......

No what the problem is IMHO simple ignorance..........

knowing nothing.....

to have others to find the facts for you.....

and then have them think for you..........

And then being proud to freely demonstrate it.......

It is not a matter of intelligence........or a trick/plan/effort to prevent one from of exclusion..........it is the act to remain ignorant........a personal decision to remain stupid.....

That is what the posting means.......

So you believe, then, that in the past when (for example) the political parties and candidates themselves were the authors, editors, researchers, and publishers of journalistic efforts such as newspapers, magazines and journals - people were better informed?

Or when a man could vote more than once purely for cutting his facial hair - things were more fair and just?

Or when politicians ACTUALLY prevented other politicians from physically engaging in voting and representing their views - that was better?

At what point were corruptions of the past 'improved on' - and at what point did things start to 'go bad'?

So you believe, then, that in the past when (for example) the political parties and candidates themselves were the authors, editors, researchers, and publishers of journalistic efforts such as newspapers, magazines and journals - people were better informed?

Or when a man could vote more than once purely for cutting his facial hair - things were more fair and just?

Or when politicians ACTUALLY prevented other politicians from physically engaging in voting and representing their views - that was better?

At what point were corruptions of the past 'improved on' - and at what point did things start to 'go bad'?

Let's try and stay focused on the issue I speak to.........

In the past folks were more knowledgeable.......... and on balance read more than one newspapers.........and listened to and watched real journalistic quality reports....... and spoke of only what the knew or wished to know as I recall ...........simply stated...........more informed..... But more importantly could think for themselves........ and stay focused on the subject being discussed......

But this of course is a memory/experience from the groups, people, teachers, elected officials, and economic group I was exposed to........

AS for the groups you mention it is unclear to me what you're asking.........

In the past folks were more knowledgeable.......... and on balance read more than one newspapers.........and listened to and watched real journalistic quality reports....... and spoke of only what the knew or wished to know as I recall ...........simply stated...........more informed..... But more importantly could think for themselves........ and stay focused on the subject being discussed......

But this of course is a memory/experience from the groups, people, teachers, elected officials, and economic group I was exposed to........

I'm trying to get you to label which time in history you're thinking of - the 'past' . . . can be hundreds of years or just a few decades. What past are you thinking of? That makes a huge difference.

I think it has to do with access to information. We used to think that more access to information would make people better informed. But we were wrong; it has the opposite effect. Why? Because if there are only 3 or 4 channels on TV then those channels have to appeal to a wide audience. When there are only 3 or 4 channels on TV and one or two newspapers in a city, then the media has to ensure that they are appealing to wide swaths of the population by being impartial and providing good, balanced information. If there's a hundred channels on tv and hundreds of news websites for people to choose from,then the strategy changes; rather than appealing to everyone, it makes more sense to carve out your niche and become the "go to" network for people of a certain political persuasion. You no longer have to be fair and balanced at that point, you can just tell them what they want to hear and make life easy for them by never challenging their views. The more you pander to your niche, the more loyal they are.

I believe that's why we are where we are. Fox News doesn't challenge their viewers with progressive perspectives and Salon and HuffPost don't challenge their readers with conservative ones. Everyone becomes more ignorant about competing views.

I'm trying to get you to label which time in history you're thinking of - the 'past' . . . can be hundreds of years or just a few decades. What past are you thinking of? That makes a huge difference.

Yes at the time it was noticed in passing.......But the dumbing down began........

First, the cost of providing news was a massive expense item for the major sources on news........ and was not an item which generated income.....

Various pressured made the news outlets looked for ways to curt costs and improve revenue........
Eyewitness news was “meant to be faster in pace than the standard newscast format (in which an anchor simply read headlines), a reporter in the field would be the "eyewitness" to a news event to the anchor in the studio and the viewer at home. Reported based upon how random folks felt about the event covered………. Journalistic standards of news reporting were set aside and the focus was sensationalism, conflict, and silliness……..

As I recall the change major chance in this type of news format began in the mid 60’s………… And was successful in turning news from an income drain to a “profit center”
SEE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyewitness_News
The news became entertainment and/or creating drama and reporting conflicts……….. And also look for its lead tragedy, a failure in society, fluff about the latest divorce of the rich and famous; or a reason to be fearful……………. Or what I call news-ertainment………..

Also around the same time there were newspaper failures caused in part the economy and loss of readers………

And also a consolidation of the group by major corporations who bought out and in some cased closed the news source to lighten the competition…. Currently we have 3-4 major news outlets controlling …. maybe 80% of the market and owned by just a few corporations or families…….. Some suggest the result of this has led to pressures to selectively reporting/ not reporting of the news……….
SEE:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration_of_media_ownership
Consolidation in Newspaper Market is a Growing Trend

And to add to this is……. the public seeking only one source of news………..and most often a source that is in tune with their world view…….. and therefore presenting only one point of view and/or misinformation
SEE:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Breaking_news_sources
News Bias Explored
https://storify.com/kateniwi/single-source-journalism

I think it has to do with access to information. We used to think that more access to information would make people better informed. But we were wrong; it has the opposite effect. Why? Because if there are only 3 or 4 channels on TV then those channels have to appeal to a wide audience. When there are only 3 or 4 channels on TV and one or two newspapers in a city, then the media has to ensure that they are appealing to wide swaths of the population by being impartial and providing good, balanced information. If there's a hundred channels on tv and hundreds of news websites for people to choose from,then the strategy changes; rather than appealing to everyone, it makes more sense to carve out your niche and become the "go to" network for people of a certain political persuasion. You no longer have to be fair and balanced at that point, you can just tell them what they want to hear and make life easy for them by never challenging their views. The more you pander to your niche, the more loyal they are.

I believe that's why we are where we are. Fox News doesn't challenge their viewers with progressive perspectives and Salon and HuffPost don't challenge their readers with conservative ones. Everyone becomes more ignorant about competing views.

Most accurate IMHO........

I confirm US news stories by reading foreign press..............and also provide an more in-depth and dispassionately written report.........With Google Translate their is no news outlet on the 'net that cannot be read...........

I don't think you can make the case that people were more knowledgeable per se, but there was a point in time where the media valued truth over spin, where they took their responsibility of informing the public seriously and weren't there just to sell ad time. That isn't the case today. So people had more access to unbiased, or at least less biased information than they do today, unless you spend a lot of time getting news from a wide variety of sources and filtering out the bias and most people don't have the time for that.

Yes at the time it was noticed in passing.......But the dumbing down began........

First, the cost of providing news was a massive expense item for the major sources on news........ and was not an item which generated income.....

Various pressured made the news outlets looked for ways to curt costs and improve revenue........
Eyewitness news was “meant to be faster in pace than the standard newscast format (in which an anchor simply read headlines), a reporter in the field would be the "eyewitness" to a news event to the anchor in the studio and the viewer at home. Reported based upon how random folks felt about the event covered………. Journalistic standards of news reporting were set aside and the focus was sensationalism, conflict, and silliness……..

As I recall the change major chance in this type of news format began in the mid 60’s………… And was successful in turning news from an income drain to a “profit center”
SEE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyewitness_News
The news became entertainment and/or creating drama and reporting conflicts……….. And also look for its lead tragedy, a failure in society, fluff about the latest divorce of the rich and famous; or a reason to be fearful……………. Or what I call news-ertainment………..

Also around the same time there were newspaper failures caused in part the economy and loss of readers………

And also a consolidation of the group by major corporations who bought out and in some cased closed the news source to lighten the competition…. Currently we have 3-4 major news outlets controlling …. maybe 80% of the market and owned by just a few corporations or families…….. Some suggest the result of this has led to pressures to selectively reporting/ not reporting of the news……….
SEE:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration_of_media_ownership
Consolidation in Newspaper Market is a Growing Trend

And to add to this is……. the public seeking only one source of news………..and most often a source that is in tune with their world view…….. and therefore presenting only one point of view and/or misinformation
SEE:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Breaking_news_sources
News Bias Explored
https://storify.com/kateniwi/single-source-journalism

Without any criticism of Aunt Spiker--I see where she is coming from--your several back and forth posts with her illustrates the basic problem

You are offering a discussion on people choosing (or not bothering--is that the same thing?) to educate themselves on the topics that they argue even as they make passionate arguments on those topics..

She is responding by arguing another issue altogether and, with questions, invites you into that different discussion.

Result: typically a thread derail.

I started a thread back in February - http://www.debatepolitics.com/education/246028-dumbing-down-america.html - lamenting the fact that the young people of today are not being taught even the most basic American and/or world history and are getting little or no education is basic economics. I was arguing that these should be mandatory subjects in highschool and college. Probably most people participating on that thread disagreed.

I am guessing most of those probably don't have much interest in researching the topics they argue on message boards. They will hunt for a quotation or some source they think affirms their point of view, but they couldn't explain it in their own words if their lives depended on it. It is enough that this party or that party sucks, this person or that person is bad, this ideology or that ideology is Hitler reincarnated, or whatever the assigned talking point is for that day or week.

Trying to find folks interested in participating in a reasoned discussion are hard to come by on message boards. But it can be done.

I agree completely, AS.

Seems to me the American public (the world public) is more informed NOW than ever before in history.

Not sure why you think not, but I'd rethink this thesis if I were you.

I don't think you can make the case that people were more knowledgeable per se, but there was a point in time where the media valued truth over spin, where they took their responsibility of informing the public seriously and weren't there just to sell ad time. That isn't the case today. So people had more access to unbiased, or at least less biased information than they do today, unless you spend a lot of time getting news from a wide variety of sources and filtering out the bias and most people don't have the time for that.

You raise a good point......and one I have not looked at...........thanks for your sharing.........

And I agree...........no other time in history has mankind has so much information/knowledge/ and what ever you can think of ..at his/her finger tips ever in the history of mankind.........

I may have made an error and have not considered a wider source of groups and people to base my observations on.........IMHO one does not a good reprehensive example of all here........

My observations of the "problem" are just my best guess and certainly not the complete answer to what I see in society......and are subject to change as more is uncovered.......

May the force be with you friend
yoda

Seems to me the American public (the world public) is more informed NOW than ever before in history.

Not sure why you think not, but I'd rethink this thesis if I were you.

I have............. see/read below

Without any criticism of Aunt Spiker--I see where she is coming from--your several back and forth posts with her illustrates the basic problem

You are offering a discussion on people choosing (or not bothering--is that the same thing?) to educate themselves on the topics that they argue even as they make passionate arguments on those topics..

She is responding by arguing another issue altogether and, with questions, invites you into that different discussion.

Result: typically a thread derail.

I started a thread back in February - http://www.debatepolitics.com/education/246028-dumbing-down-america.html - lamenting the fact that the young people of today are not being taught even the most basic American and/or world history and are getting little or no education is basic economics. I was arguing that these should be mandatory subjects in highschool and college. Probably most people participating on that thread disagreed.

I am guessing most of those probably don't have much interest in researching the topics they argue on message boards. They will hunt for a quotation or some source they think affirms their point of view, but they couldn't explain it in their own words if their lives depended on it. It is enough that this party or that party sucks, this person or that person is bad, this ideology or that ideology is Hitler reincarnated, or whatever the assigned talking point is for that day or week.

Trying to find folks interested in participating in a reasoned discussion are hard to come by on message boards. But it can be done.

I share some of the same feelings and observations.............It all may very well be the lack of interest or thirst to know something more/something new..........

I have been told........Ya gotta Wanta........

well, as illibeal liberals and Democrats completely and utterly own the educational system in America, at every level... it's really not a hard guess as to the answer of "who lit the fuse".

but all that aside, if i had a nickel for every time someone argued that " my side is smart, your side is dumb" , I'd have more nickels that I can count in my lifetime.

the thing is, the very argument the author is employing is a perfect example of dumb people saying things when they should be quiet.

one need not be an academic or intellectual to understand that political "sides" have no inherent qualities that differ from their own side ( such as undeveloped and insular political opinions)
to dumb it down for ya.. ya don't have to be a rocket surgeon to know stupid people exist on all sides in politics.

believe me " the other guys" never have a monopoly on dumb.

now, as to why the author is not getting substantive replies to his allegedly substantive arguments ( that's a laughable assumption)... it more to do with the societal habit we have of not listening to folks who you disagree with.
as any regular political forum denizen can attest to... no matter how substantive your argument is, your opponent will refuse to listen and understand it.
we are a society that loves to talk, but hates to listen.... especially when it comes to politics.

i'd wager money he has ignored the arguments presented to him, or dismissed them out of hand...( though looking for substantive arguments on twitter and facebook is pretty stupid, if ya ask me)

we the author of this article not a dullard,he'd have known this before he typed a single word.... he only had to put in a few precious moments of reflective thought and basic observation ... instead, he chose to be a partisan idiot who decries partisan idiots.

I am beginning to see your point.........And see how hard it is to gather/process truth from trash........I now have the luxury of the free time of retirement .......and I am beginning to remembering coming home dead tired and only where was I going to get the money to but the kids one pair of shoes/ one pair of sneakers top start school with............and did not give a damn of what was going on in D.C. or the Sub-Sudan.........

well, as illibeal liberals and Democrats completely and utterly own the educational system in America, at every level... it's really not a hard guess as to the answer of "who lit the fuse".

but all that aside, if i had a nickel for every time someone argued that " my side is smart, your side is dumb" , I'd have more nickels that I can count in my lifetime.

the thing is, the very argument the author is employing is a perfect example of dumb people saying things when they should be quiet.

one need not be an academic or intellectual to understand that political "sides" have no inherent qualities that differ from their own side ( such as undeveloped and insular political opinions)
to dumb it down for ya.. ya don't have to be a rocket surgeon to know stupid people exist on all sides in politics.

believe me " the other guys" never have a monopoly on dumb.

now, as to why the author is not getting substantive replies to his allegedly substantive arguments ( that's a laughable assumption)... it more to do with the societal habit we have of not listening to folks who you disagree with.
as any regular political forum denizen can attest to... no matter how substantive your argument is, your opponent will refuse to listen and understand it.
we are a society that loves to talk, but hates to listen.... especially when it comes to politics.

i'd wager money he has ignored the arguments presented to him, or dismissed them out of hand...( though looking for substantive arguments on twitter and facebook is pretty stupid, if ya ask me)

we the author of this article not a dullard,he'd have known this before he typed a single word.... he only had to put in a few precious moments of reflective thought and basic observation ... instead, he chose to be a partisan idiot who decries partisan idiots.

Reflection is good.......and partisan can be dangerous.......... and you have added a few things I need to mull over and reconsider ..........Thanks for your post

Yes, but ignorance gets increased by the very stuff in the blog you linked to. Hyper-partisan, bigoted, low intelligence garbage. Full of insults, division and hate, appealing only to those unwilling to think and reason. It's a 100% pure propaganda piece with no redeeming value other than to serve as example of the worst of hypocrisy.

You raise a good point......and one I have not looked at...........thanks for your sharing.........

And I agree...........no other time in history has mankind has so much information/knowledge/ and what ever you can think of ..at his/her finger tips ever in the history of mankind.........

I may have made an error and have not considered a wider source of groups and people to base my observations on.........IMHO one does not a good reprehensive example of all here........

My observations of the "problem" are just my best guess and certainly not the complete answer to what I see in society......and are subject to change as more is uncovered.......

I don't really remember 25-30 years ago that there were news outlets that catered to a particular political view. You had the nightly news, that was it. You had the local newspaper, that was it. It wasn't as ridiculously slanted as the news we see today. You didn't have FOX News or MSNBC catering specifically to a particular political ideology. And as I said, we had reporters that went out and uncovered stories for the sake of telling the truth. Today we have commentators, who take the news and give it a political spin. Facts don't need spin. We need to go back to just telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

I don't really remember 25-30 years ago that there were news outlets that catered to a particular political view. You had the nightly news, that was it. You had the local newspaper, that was it. It wasn't as ridiculously slanted as the news we see today. You didn't have FOX News or MSNBC catering specifically to a particular political ideology. And as I said, we had reporters that went out and uncovered stories for the sake of telling the truth. Today we have commentators, who take the news and give it a political spin. Facts don't need spin. We need to go back to just telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

oh, we were hit with bias back in the day as well... it simply wasn't anywhere near as pronounced as it is today... but then again, the average joe wasn't defined by his politics either,...today, politics is what defines people.

but the thing is, those guys back in the day had journalistic integrity.... and were trusted because of it.... regardless of their bias, they gave us something really close to the truth, if not the actual truth.
journalistic integrity is dead now... and very few ,if any, journalists are trusted.

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH.............

there is one "news outlet that claim to present the news as "Fair and Balanced"........yet has no reporters/investigators working in the field .............has not one News Bureau in any major city in the US and certainly not over-seas ..............reports only from the sources of AP wire.............which they edit/rewrite .......and then claims AP gave them credit for assisting the in presenting the news report............Yet they still tell folks several time each hour they are a source of the news ...................

When I view I consider every ting reported suspect........and the only thing that approaches real accurate news is found in the crawl

Back
Top Bottom