• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Draft and the Don't Ask, Don't Tell Policy

Naughty Nurse said:
And your evidence that a group of gay people couldn't work together without having sex?

You might feel, as you have stated in a previous post, that you straight men have no control over yourselves, but please don't judge me by your own low standards.

The average age of a U.S. navy man serving aboard ship is 19.......The juices are flowing.............I take it your a lesbian...........Are you telling me you could serve on a ship living in a berthing compartment as big as your living room, showering in close proximity, and seeing women in all stages of undress that you would not be tempted to make advances?.................Like I said there are a lot of Gay men in the Navy gettting discharged for doing just that...

Navy Pride said:
The average age of a U.S. navy man serving aboard ship is 19.......The juices are flowing.............I take it your a lesbian...........Are you telling me you could serve on a ship living in a berthing compartment as big as your living room, showering in close proximity, and seeing women in all stages of undress that you would not be tempted to make advances?.................Like I said there are a lot of Gay men in the Navy gettting discharged for doing just that...

Look at my signature. You could surround me with naked women all day, and the only thing I would be interested in are a few good recipes!

Naughty Nurse said:
Well, I'm not happy with all of my employer's policies. Your point is?

Its a little difference............Your employer is a private company based on democratic principles..........The military by its very nature is not a democracy......

Navy Pride said:
Your employer is a private company

Private health care? Now you've really insulted me! ;)

Naughty Nurse said:
Private health care? Now you've really insulted me! ;)

I am not familiar with health care in the UK........I can only speak for how it is here in the USA........

Navy Pride said:
I don't have to prove it.Its fact..........Why do you think states are rushing to pass amendments to ban gay marriage and are passing them by huge majorities even in liberal states like Oregon..........With all respect you don't live here, you have no clue how Americans feel about the gay liefestyle except what you hear or read in our far left liberal meida..........

Why would I read your "far-left liberal media"? As you said, I'm Australian - from the land of Rupert Murdoch and News Corp.

Navy Pride said:
Are you telling me you could serve on a ship living in a berthing compartment as big as your living room, showering in close proximity, and seeing women in all stages of undress that you would not be tempted to make advances?.................Like I said there are a lot of Gay men in the Navy gettting discharged for doing just that...

I'm a part-time, professional actress. When performing in on stage, more often than not the dress room is one huge, communal area, or you end up having to do quick costume changes in the wings between scenes. I've seen plenty of male performers in "all stages of undress" and I'm yet to jump a single one.

Don't want someone hitting on you? Tell them to sod off. It's pretty bloody easy.

Navy Pride said:
Its a little difference............Your employer is a private company based on democratic principles..........The military by its very nature is not a democracy......

And with that you have proved my point. If some people in the British forces are not happy with the policy of recruiting openly gay people then tough - it is not, as you point out, a democracy.

vergiss said:
Don't want someone hitting on you? Tell them to sod off. It's pretty bloody easy.

Indeed it is. Perhaps Navy is bitter because nobody ever hit on him? ;)

Can you imagine what it would be like allowing screaming flaming "out" homosexuals in the miltary?!

Attachments

• homos.jpg
    homos.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 2
The military has always been the home ,other than prisons of situational sex.
You put 2,000 guys between 18 & 24 on an aircraft carrier in the Persin gulf with no port calls and expet them to be celibate, is nuts. than you extend them for another 6 months. Though the sex might be homosexual not all those engaging in it will be.
There have been Gays in the military since there was a military.
The Navy for obvious reasons has always been the most homophobic of the services.
The Air force the least.
If the Draft is restored, a decision will have to be made. Dont ask don't tell just wouldn't work.
An interesting thing is at the same time there are straights who will claim to be Gay to get out of going or being in Iraq.There are Gays that are trying their best not to be found out so they can go to Iraq.

Deegan said:
It's a great policy, why would anyone want to discuss this with people at their place of employment? If you are talking with a friend, they already know, and would keep it private, as it should be. If you want to scream to the world you're gay, walk in a parade, but while at work, just keep it to yourself. I certainly wouldn't want to take a shower with girls at work, and I suspect the same would be true in a military situation. You have to respect others beliefs, and issues as well, no matter how close minded they may seem.

:lol: You should follow your own advice. If you had ever read the policy it states that if a straight man is caught having sex with a woman then he would bascially get a slap on the wrist and move on but if a gay man has sex with another man both would be discharged immediatley. Does that seem like equal prtoection under the law to you? Why shouldn't I be able to talk about my bf if straight men are permitted to talk about their gfs? It's ridiculous. I'm gay and I can blow someones head off as well as any straight man. Why does being openly gay make me less qualified to kill or maime someone? I'll never know.

No one deserves sexual harassment whether they be straight or gay.......I can't believe you liberals condone sexual harassment.........

Napoleon's Nightingale said:
:lol: You should follow your own advice. If you had ever read the policy it states that if a straight man is caught having sex with a woman then he would bascially get a slap on the wrist and move on but if a gay man has sex with another man both would be discharged immediatley. Does that seem like equal prtoection under the law to you? Why shouldn't I be able to talk about my bf if straight men are permitted to talk about their gfs? It's ridiculous. I'm gay and I can blow someones head off as well as any straight man. Why does being openly gay make me less qualified to kill or maime someone? I'll never know.

That is a bold faced lie.........If a straight man is caught having sex with a female he is subject to discharge........It is against the UCMJ and is a court marital offense........

It is obvious you have never served in the military or you would know that..........

Navy Pride said:
That is a bold faced lie.........If a straight man is caught having sex with a female he is subject to discharge........It is against the UCMJ and is a court marital offense........

It is obvious you have never served in the military or you would know that..........

Actually it is not. That is what the acctuall policy states..your truth only lies in the opinion of the commanding officer who decides whether or not to discharge said gay men. In fact this is all it takes to get a gay man or woman discharged:
"...homosexual acts: a statement by a member that demonstrates a propensity or intent to engage in homosexual acts, or a homosexual marriage or attempted marriage. A statement by a member that demonstrates a propensity to engage or intent to engage in homosexual acts is grounds for separation not because it reflects the member's sexual orientation, but because the statement indicates a likelihood that the member engages in or will engage in homosexual acts." (From the official Don't Ask Don't Tell Policy)
Notice that last bit? Not because of their sexual orientation but because it is a homosexual act :lol: contradictory don't you think? The policy also states that it takes more than intent to have sex to discharge a straight service member because homosexual acts are "un-nautral and immoral"

Why can't you just keep it to yourself?

This is not your run of the mill job, and these guys are not the type of people who want to know about your sexual preference. It makes them uncomfortable to think you might be eye f**king them while in the shower, I mean, the girls don't shower with the boy's now do they? These are gung ho men, and they are a special breed, even if I don't agree, I understand how this could disrupt the everyday operations in the military. Your lifestyle has a reputation, and it proceeds you in to the military, like it or not, we are not going to change the military to fit your life, you'll have to change your life to fit in to the military. This sounds unfair I know, but life is unfair, and this will not change.

Deegan said:

This is not your run of the mill job, and these guys are not the type of people who want to know about your sexual preference. It makes them uncomfortable to think you might be eye f**king them while in the shower, I mean, the girls don't shower with the boy's now do they? These are gung ho men, and they are a special breed, even if I don't agree, I understand how this could disrupt the everyday operations in the military. Your lifestyle has a reputation, and it proceeds you in to the military, like it or not, we are not going to change the military to fit your life, you'll have to change your life to fit in to the military. This sounds unfair I know, but life is unfair, and this will not change.

Ha. Hearing about them banging their gfs back home makes me uncomfertable. Besides, do you have any idea how much this policy costs the military in $ and recruitments?! The latest figure is $200 million all because the military discharged perfectly qualified gay service members to replace them with straight ones..as far as recruitments..who knows and this is all just this year. I'll ask the same question. Why can't YOU just keep it to yourself? No one's forcing them to think about what we do in the bedroom.

Last edited:
Ha. Hearing about them banging their gfs back home makes me uncomfertable. Besides, do you have any idea how much this policy costs the military in $ and recruitments?! The latest figure is $200 million all because the military discharged perfectly qualified gay service members to replace them with straight ones..as far as recruitments..who knows and this is all just this year. I'll ask the same question. Why can't YOU just keep it to yourself? No one's forcing them to think about what we do in the bedroom.

You're one percent of the population at best, I think the military has gotten on just fine thank you.;)

Deegan said:
You're one percent of the population at best, I think the military has gotten on just fine thank you.;)

Tell that to old Rummy..he's come way short of his recruitment quota again. ;)

Tell that to old Rummy..he's come way short of his recruitment quota again. ;)

If it comes to recruiting gays openly best we be short then........Truth be told that re enlistments are way up in the military...........

Navy Pride said:
If it comes to recruiting gays openly best we be short then........Truth be told that re enlistments are way up in the military...........

LOL..if thats the way you feel then don't expect me or any gay member of the military to save your butt in a battle since you'd rather not be associated with them. The bit about recruitment is utterly false. ROTC is DOWN 16% active duty is DOWN 27% and the Army alone MISSED it's goal by 42%. You're telling me thats going way up? :lol:

Deegan said:

Efforts to retain the status quo and retain some people's so called "values" will inevitably fail because social change is inevitable. Unless there is some massive gay genocide each generation will start to accept homosexuality more and more and soon policies like the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy will be ended. The KKK said things wouldn't change but thanks to many hardworking and determined civil rights activists they fought and gained acceptance. When something is unfair people will fight for it, and trust me gay rights activists will keep fighting for this policy to be ended. I think I might have said this in a previous post but this policy makes the soldiers of our armed forces seem consumed by their intolerance, insecure with their sexuality, and incompetent because they can't even do their job because there might be homosexuals along with them. Now when I was growing up many people told me that the army was only for hicks and white trash (which of course is false) but as I hear the way these soldiers are being described as people who can't even function because there are homosexuals around them I really start to question the intelligence of these soldiers, and how they can function outside of the armed forces.

js416256 said:
Efforts to retain the status quo and retain some people's so called "values" will inevitably fail because social change is inevitable. Unless there is some massive gay genocide each generation will start to accept homosexuality more and more and soon policies like the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy will be ended. The KKK said things wouldn't change but thanks to many hardworking and determined civil rights activists they fought and gained acceptance. When something is unfair people will fight for it, and trust me gay rights activists will keep fighting for this policy to be ended. I think I might have said this in a previous post but this policy makes the soldiers of our armed forces seem consumed by their intolerance, insecure with their sexuality, and incompetent because they can't even do their job because there might be homosexuals along with them. Now when I was growing up many people told me that the army was only for hicks and white trash (which of course is false) but as I hear the way these soldiers are being described as people who can't even function because there are homosexuals around them I really start to question the intelligence of these soldiers, and how they can function outside of the armed forces.

:lol: I agree with you. If a soldier is that insecure about himself and his abilities he shouldn't be given a gun anyway. Me being a gay man doesn't make someone insecure..they do that on their own.

No normal man has homosexual male friends.....leave it to a homosexual here to say that if you refuse to approve homosexuals in the military, he won't "save your butt".

Apparently it is your butt he wants to save.....

I equate a gay male serving on a Navy ship with all men to me a straight male serving on a navy ship with all women........It just would not work......

The spirit strong but the mind is weak.........Sorry

Navy Pride said:
I equate a gay male serving on a Navy ship with all men to me a straight male serving on a navy ship with all women........It just would not work......

The spirit strong but the mind is weak.........Sorry

Keep in mind that not all gay men are feminine. I'll bet you were surrounded by them if you were in the service.

Back
Top Bottom