• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The downside of soy

lizzie

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Since my late 40's, I've been on a sort of anti-soy kick, because I believe that the overall effect of soy products is negative for our health. I guess it depends on what one expects and wants, but I find myself reading labels closely, and avoiding all unfermented soy products when I can. The problem is that it is so common, that finding some products that may be wanted can be very difficult.
Case in point: I want a high-protein ready-made nutrition drink, with high calorie content, that doesn't have added soy protein isolate, because my nutritional status has been less-than-desired lately, and I frankly don't want to spend a huge amount of effort cooking when I feel so damn crappy. So far, I haven't found one. I thought about the Glucerna drinks, because I tend to have hypoglycemic episodes when I am stressed, but guess what the source of the extra protein is? You guess it- soy.
Soy is believed to interfere with sex hormone receptor site attachment, by competing with human sex hormones, and is also thought to interfere with thyroid function. These two factors alone are enough to make me avoid it. I suspect that it has contributed to the feminization of young men in our society, and possibly to the seeming increase in women's menstrual and hormonal dysfunctions.

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/negative-health-effects-of-soy.html

Apart from the phytic acid-related phenomena, there are additional factors that make soy an unhealthy choice.

Soy:

* contributes to thyroid disorder, especially in women

* promotes kidney stones

* weakens the immune system

* contributes to food allergies and digestive intolerance

Perhaps the most disturbing of soy's ill effects on health has to do with its phytoestrogens, which can mimic the effects of the female hormone, oestrogen. These phytoestrogens have been found to have adverse effects on various human tissues, and drinking only two glasses of soy milk daily for one month has enough of the chemical to alter a woman's menstrual cycle.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/022630_soy_food_phytic_acid.html#ixzz2X9tfYu1i

i generally go with rice milk. tried soy milk for a while, but rice milk is just so much better.

just checked, and the clif and balance bars i love have soy in them. i love those, though, and will give them up only when they are pried from my cold, dead, soy-poisoned fingers. if they ever stop making the cookie dough balance bar or the trail mix clif bar, you'll probably see me disappear from here until they provide internet access for the incarcerated.

Er, couldn't you just purchase some whey protein mix, and blend it with some fruit juice/milk?

Re: Men's Health article, clinical trials have shown that soy does not "feminize" men.

Four Soy Food Myths Exposed « Healthy Recipe Doctor

It seems that soy could be an issue if you have a thyroid problem. If you don't, it's probably fine. I don't think you need to be "anti-soy."

On a side note, nutritional supplements like Ensure are not a good replacement for actual food. It isn't that hard to throw some frozen vegetables, seitan and sriracha sauce into a wok.

I drink only almond, hazlenut, or rice milk, and I take rice protein. I want nothing to do with large amounts of soy.

I drink only almond, hazlenut, or rice milk, and I take rice protein. I want nothing to do with large amounts of soy.

I'm guessing you're a vegetarian of some sort? You might look in to pea protein. It's more complete than rice protein.

The only downside I see with rice/almond milk is that they only have 1 gram of protein per serving, compared to ~7 in soy milk.

Eat a big fat juicy prime rib. Go ahead, you know you want to. We won't tell on you. Honest.

She said she didn't want to cook, though?

Who the hell cooks their own prime rib? That is a restaurant only meal. Besides, it is only symbolically cooked to begin with. Smear something brown on it like coffee and it is just as done as it is when it is "cooked". That is total Cave Man food.

Who the hell cooks their own prime rib? That is a restaurant only meal. Besides, it is only symbolically cooked to begin with. Smear something brown on it like coffee and it is just as done as it is when it is "cooked". That is total Cave Man food.

Well, if she wanted to eat out at a restaurant all the time I doubt she'd be posting. It's still more prep/dishes than a bottle of something.

Well, if she wanted to eat out at a restaurant all the time I doubt she'd be posting. It's still more prep/dishes than a bottle of something.

I asked myself, "Does afr0byte have no humor gene?" and then I glanced down at your lean and answered my own question. :3oops:

I asked myself, "Does afr0byte have no humor gene?" and then I glanced down at your lean and answered my own question. :3oops:

No I do have a sense of humor. I just don't, in this particular case, see how it'd be funny to suggest she eat a prime rib? Would you care to explain why you thought it was funny?

Re: Men's Health article, clinical trials have shown that soy does not "feminize" men.

It seems that soy could be an issue if you have a thyroid problem. If you don't, it's probably fine. I don't think you need to be "anti-soy."

On a side note, nutritional supplements like Ensure are not a good replacement for actual food. It isn't that hard to throw some frozen vegetables, seitan and sriracha sauce into a wok.

Frankly, being a woman and all, I don't want the menstrual abnormalities either.

Something like 10 years ago I was taking soy protein for my fitness program. Well, I gave it up when I started having some kidney "feelings" and blood in my urine. :shock:
GMO makes the problem even worse! Never again soy protein.

Yes, I know they aren't, but they are a good supplement to the healthy food that I already eat. I'm not trying to replace my food, but trying to supplement with some protein and calories. Does that make sense? I don't want to eat a freakin 8 oz raw filet mignon, although that would probably be my best bet.

My concern is not making a thyroid problem worse, but developing one. If isoflavones elicit a response in which they can attach to thyroid hormone receptors sites, rather than actual thyroid hormone, that is a problem.

Make it a filet and we're on. ;) (and yes, I do cook my own steaks)

There is no such thing as a big filet until we start cloning Wooly Mammoths unfortunately........best one I ever had, which I had 3 of in the same sitting was at Old Ebbitt Grill in Washington DC. It is sort of across the corner from the WH complex. If you ever get a chance, it is worth it. When I win the lottery, I will treat all DP comers to one :)

I'm guessing you're a vegetarian of some sort? You might look in to pea protein. It's more complete than rice protein.

No, omnivore, I'm just lactose intolerant. I can deal with the occaisonal pizza and stuff, but if I drank milk or used whey protein long term I'd have issues.

I think I'll definitely check out the pea protein. I really hate rice protein, it tastes like ****, and this is the "neutral flavor" version. How's the pea protein taste? I want something that's relatively tasteless that I can mix into my post workout smoothies.

Thanks for the tip.

Since my late 40's, I've been on a sort of anti-soy kick, because I believe that the overall effect of soy products is negative for our health. I guess it depends on what one expects and wants, but I find myself reading labels closely, and avoiding all unfermented soy products when I can. The problem is that it is so common, that finding some products that may be wanted can be very difficult.
Case in point: I want a high-protein ready-made nutrition drink, with high calorie content, that doesn't have added soy protein isolate, because my nutritional status has been less-than-desired lately, and I frankly don't want to spend a huge amount of effort cooking when I feel so damn crappy. So far, I haven't found one. I thought about the Glucerna drinks, because I tend to have hypoglycemic episodes when I am stressed, but guess what the source of the extra protein is? You guess it- soy.
Soy is believed to interfere with sex hormone receptor site attachment, by competing with human sex hormones, and is also thought to interfere with thyroid function. These two factors alone are enough to make me avoid it. I suspect that it has contributed to the feminization of young men in our society, and possibly to the seeming increase in women's menstrual and hormonal dysfunctions.

I am anti-soy as well.

Hypogonadism and erectile dysfunction asso... [Nutrition. 2011 Jul-Aug] - PubMed - NCBI

An unusual case of gynecomastia associa... [Endocr Pract. 2008 May-Jun] - PubMed - NCBI

As a protein supplement, it is horrible (not a complete protein).

Soy is not something I had thought about in a negative light before. Thanks for the links!

I guess I'll be reading my labels even closer now..... *sigh*

Soy is not something I had thought about in a negative light before. Thanks for the links!

I guess I'll be reading my labels even closer now..... *sigh*

Well, back in my 40's when I was starting to have some pre-menopausal symptoms, I started looking into alternative treatments for symptom relief, and I took a soy supplement for a few months, then I started doing my homework, and then it scared the crap out of me, and I stopped taking what wasn't working anyway. ;) Since then, I have been reading, from time to time, articles on the effects of soy. I figure that if Japan has one of the lowest fertility rates in the world, there must be a reason. ;)

Back
Top Bottom