• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The downside of soy

Did something change? Last time I checked soy is a complete protein. Here's a quote from the FDA: "Soy protein products can be good substitutes for animal products because, unlike some other beans, soy offers a 'complete' protein profile. ... Soy protein products can replace animal-based foods—which also have complete proteins but tend to contain more fat, especially saturated fat—without requiring major adjustments elsewhere in the diet." (Soybean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The differences in leucine in combination with soya phytoestrogens found in soy diminish the bio availability of soy's amino acid profile. So while it is technically true that soy "contains" all essential amino acids, soya phytoestrogens have been shown to reduce IGF-1, thereby limiting amino acid intake.

The differences in leucine in combination with soya phytoestrogens found in soy diminish the bio availability of soy's amino acid profile. So while it is technically true that soy "contains" all essential amino acids, soya phytoestrogens have been shown to reduce IGF-1, thereby limiting amino acid intake.

Do you have a source for this IFG-1 thing?

Evening Lizzie, you should try GNC if you haven't already thought of that. :)

Since my late 40's, I've been on a sort of anti-soy kick, because I believe that the overall effect of soy products is negative for our health. I guess it depends on what one expects and wants, but I find myself reading labels closely, and avoiding all unfermented soy products when I can. The problem is that it is so common, that finding some products that may be wanted can be very difficult.
Case in point: I want a high-protein ready-made nutrition drink, with high calorie content, that doesn't have added soy protein isolate, because my nutritional status has been less-than-desired lately, and I frankly don't want to spend a huge amount of effort cooking when I feel so damn crappy. So far, I haven't found one. I thought about the Glucerna drinks, because I tend to have hypoglycemic episodes when I am stressed, but guess what the source of the extra protein is? You guess it- soy.
Soy is believed to interfere with sex hormone receptor site attachment, by competing with human sex hormones, and is also thought to interfere with thyroid function. These two factors alone are enough to make me avoid it. I suspect that it has contributed to the feminization of young men in our society, and possibly to the seeming increase in women's menstrual and hormonal dysfunctions.

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/negative-health-effects-of-soy.html

1. Large-scale industrial monoculture.
2. Generally a processed food.
3. A Top-3 GMC, internationally, especially China (which lacks western regulations).

For a full array of essential amino acids, one needs beans, greens and nuts every day.

Soy in homestead production, unprocessed and without IPR and chemical treadmills is not so bad; however, that's an insignificant acreage.

1. Large-scale industrial monoculture.
2. Generally a processed food.
3. A Top-3 GMC, internationally, especially China (which lacks western regulations).

For a full array of essential amino acids, one needs beans, greens and nuts every day.

Soy in homestead production, unprocessed and without IPR and chemical treadmills is not so bad; however, that's an insignificant acreage.

Sometimes I have no idea what you're talking about. :lol:

Since my late 40's, I've been on a sort of anti-soy kick, because I believe that the overall effect of soy products is negative for our health. I guess it depends on what one expects and wants, but I find myself reading labels closely, and avoiding all unfermented soy products when I can. The problem is that it is so common, that finding some products that may be wanted can be very difficult.
Case in point: I want a high-protein ready-made nutrition drink, with high calorie content, that doesn't have added soy protein isolate, because my nutritional status has been less-than-desired lately, and I frankly don't want to spend a huge amount of effort cooking when I feel so damn crappy. So far, I haven't found one. I thought about the Glucerna drinks, because I tend to have hypoglycemic episodes when I am stressed, but guess what the source of the extra protein is? You guess it- soy.
Soy is believed to interfere with sex hormone receptor site attachment, by competing with human sex hormones, and is also thought to interfere with thyroid function. These two factors alone are enough to make me avoid it. I suspect that it has contributed to the feminization of young men in our society, and possibly to the seeming increase in women's menstrual and hormonal dysfunctions.

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/negative-health-effects-of-soy.html

You don't eat soy but you eat sugar by the shovel full? Oy vey..

Frankly, being a woman and all, I don't want the menstrual abnormalities either.
I'm not seeing a single shred of evidence that soy causes menstrual "abnormalities." And no, anecdotes don't mean anything.

I'm not trying to replace my food, but trying to supplement with some protein and calories. Does that make sense?
Not much here is "making sense."

If you want to avoid soy, that's your business. There isn't any more reason to slag processed soy than any other processed food -- and things like Ensure are obviously highly processed.

You want non-soy protein and calories, there's plenty of options. 30 seconds on Google = beans, seitan, spirulina, quinoa, lentils, nuts.

Sometimes I have no idea what you're talking about. :lol:

Intellectual property rights and crop-accompanying fertilizers and chemicals upon which the soil and habitat become dependent:

IPR and chemical treadmills

I don't know about RabidAlpaca, but afaik most people become lactose intolerant. They're not born that way. In most mammals it's normal to stop producing lactase after weening.
Back in the bygone era when someone in the family couldn't handle cow we switched them up to goat's milk and cheese. That usually went down a lot better.

That brings up a question for those who are lactose intolerant - was breastfeeding a problem (ask your Mom)?

Here's the poop on goat's milk. And this is interesting and on topic:

Yeah it wasn't until later in life. Though I'm starting to expect human beings in general aren't designed to process cow milk. That's the same milk that's supposed to turn a baby calf into a full blown cow pretty quickly.

I'll give goat a try by itself. Thanks for the tip.

I'm starting to expect human beings in general aren't designed to process cow milk. That's the same milk that's supposed to turn a baby calf into a full blown cow pretty quickly.
Humans aren't "designed," we evolve. Groups of humans genetically developed lactose tolerance somewhere between 3,000 and 6,000 years ago. If you are lactose tolerant, consuming milk or dairy is no more problematic than any other type of food.

Yeah it wasn't until later in life. Though I'm starting to expect human beings in general aren't designed to process cow milk. That's the same milk that's supposed to turn a baby calf into a full blown cow pretty quickly.

I'll give goat a try by itself. Thanks for the tip.

Goat's milk is good, but it's expensive, compared to cow's milk. When my boys were young, we used to have a small herd of goats here, and one of the females lost her baby shortly after birth. I milked her for a few days, and I saved some of the goat's milk and put it in the fridge (in a cow's milk container)to see if the boys wouldn't notice the difference. They didn't. Iirc, goat's milk differs from cow's milk in that the cream doesn't separate if it sits for awhile. It has a reputation for being high-quality for humans.

Humans aren't "designed," we evolve. Groups of humans genetically developed lactose tolerance somewhere between 3,000 and 6,000 years ago. If you are lactose tolerant, consuming milk or dairy is no more problematic than any other type of food.

No ****ing ****. It's a phrase, get over it.

Which is why different geographic regions have populations that are inherently prone to lactose intolerance.

The problem is that all nutritional/health drinks, candy bars and such are either soy (cheaper) or whey (more expensive) based. A lot of people have problems digesting soy. Some don't like how it tastes too. However, whey is extremely high in cholestrol.

However, whey is extremely high in cholestrol.

Come on man.... Isolated whey protein is low in cholesterol as most powders have less than 5 mg per serving (2% the daily requirement based on a 2000 kcal diet).

Besides, taking whey protein while incorporating resistance training has been shown to improve good cholesterol.

The study’s purpose was to examine the effects of whey protein supplementation and resistance training on antioxidant status and cardiovascular risk factors in overweight young men. Thirty healthy male subjects (age, 23.4 ± 3.6 years; body mass index, 25–30 kg/m2) were randomly divided into three groups of 10 persons including; Experimental group 1: resistance training + whey supplement (RW); Experimental group 2: resistance training + placebo (RP), and Control group (C). Subjects in intervention groups underwent 3 resistance training sessions per week, each session with 60–70% 1RM, for 6 weeks. No significant changes in fibrinogen level, fasting blood glucose, resting systolic and diastolic blood pressures, waist to hip ratio (WHR), and body mass index were observed in any of the groups. Total antioxidant capacity (TAC), cholesterol and HDL varied significantly in the RW group compared with the pre-test. We found significant changes in both RW and RP groups for glutathione, vitamin C, LDL, and triglyceride levels. In addition, in the post-test, TAC, glutathione, and HDL levels were higher in the RW in comparison to C group. Research findings showed that although exercise can lead to antioxidant system improvement and reduce some cardiovascular risk factors among overweight subjects, the combination of resistance training and whey consumption is more effective.

Source

I'm sure I could- I've just never used any type of protein powder before.
But it's so simple! Make sure to research the different brands, I usually drink it in the morning after my workout "which is sleeping".

But it's so simple! Make sure to research the different brands, I usually drink it in the morning after my workout "which is sleeping".

Post workout protein intake is one of the best things you can do to ensure your muscles repair themselves. Whey, being extremely bio-available and fast-digesting is the optimal choice.

Back
Top Bottom