• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The DOJ has put a hold on the evidence in the trial

LOL! Nice signature there. ;)

So....when he finally does get it back, it'll sell for two mil, instead of one?

Thinking more about it (from initial reply)
- I bet they have little interest in actually reviewing all evidence, it was just a dirty way of refusing to return his gun.

The feds have now put themselves in the same position they put the state in - forced to go to trial knowing they cannot prove their case.

Has this ever happened before that the DOJ is so invested in a criminal trial?

Thinking more about it (from initial reply)
- I bet they have little interest in actually reviewing all evidence, it was just a dirty way of refusing to return his gun.

That's very, very unlikely. DoJ is going to look at all of the evidence and scour it for any shred of evidence of racism. In a nutshell it means that although the jury found no evidence of racism the DoJ doesn't accept that finding and will now continue to search until they find a reason to prosecute Zimmerman.

prosecute or persecute?

That's very, very unlikely. DoJ is going to look at all of the evidence and scour it for any shred of evidence of racism. In a nutshell it means that although the jury found no evidence of racism the DoJ doesn't accept that finding and will now continue to search until they find a reason to prosecute Zimmerman.

I find this heartening:

“As the Department first acknowledged last year, we have an open investigation into the death of Trayvon Martin. The Department of Justice’s Criminal Section of the Civil Rights Division, the United States Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Florida, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation continue to evaluate the evidence generated during the federal investigation, as well as the evidence and testimony from the state trial. Experienced federal prosecutors will determine whether the evidence reveals a prosecutable violation of any of the limited federal criminal civil rights statutes within our jurisdiction, and whether federal prosecution is appropriate in accordance with the Department’s policy governing successive federal prosecution following a state trial.

Yes, that was my first thought. But you know Obama/Holder would love any opportunity to confiscate guns.

I think folks should donate money so that Zimmerman can go buy a new gun. :)

That should piss the feds off.

Probably trying to set up a kangaroo court.

As a freshman at Columbia University in 1970, future Attorney General Eric Holder participated in a five-day occupation of an abandoned Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) headquarters with a group of black students later described by the university’s Black Students’ Organization as “armed,”

eric holder 3.jpg

Or créate evidence to get a conviction.

I bet there will be new witnesses in the federal trial that will have all kinds of new information this trial didn't have.

Racism wasn't used as evidence in the trial which is why the jury found no evidence of it. They could only weigh the evidence presented in court. But you're right, racism could be used in a federal case if the evidence shows there was a racial motive. But I didn't see any evidence that either Trayvon or Zimmerman used race as motive for their actions and I think the Feds will come to the same conclusion.

Racism wasn't used as evidence in the trial which is why the jury found no evidence of it. They could only weigh the evidence presented in court. But you're right, racism could be used in a federal case if the evidence shows there was a racial motive. But I didn't see any evidence that either Trayvon or Zimmerman used race as motive for their actions and I think the Feds will come to the same conclusion.

the fbi came to the same conclusion when investigating GZ. No evidence of GZ being a racist.

Back
Top Bottom