• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The DOJ has put a hold on the evidence in the trial

Racism wasn't used as evidence in the trial which is why the jury found no evidence of it. They could only weigh the evidence presented in court. But you're right, racism could be used in a federal case if the evidence shows there was a racial motive. But I didn't see any evidence that either Trayvon or Zimmerman used race as motive for their actions and I think the Feds will come to the same conclusion.

That would be logical but we're now into the political realm and with all the other crap that the administration is getting whacked around with they could use a good, divisive, long term problem to move some of the media coverage away from the IRS, Benghazi, NSA, etc.

Of course, racism, gun advocates and half white men are far more interesting to this administration then al queda terrorists in Libya that have yet to be arrested, finding out who profiled conservative groups at the IRS, or explaining to the world how we listen in on all their calls to America.

That would be logical but we're now into the political realm and with all the other crap that the administration is getting whacked around with they could use a good, divisive, long term problem to move some of the media coverage away from the IRS, Benghazi, NSA, etc.

Hmmm, I didn't think of it that way. <rubs chin> the political rhelm thrives on this stuff....but the DoJ probably just wants it to go away.

Hmmm, I didn't think of it that way. <rubs chin> the political rhelm thrives on this stuff....but the DoJ probably just wants it to go away.

I doubt that the DoJ really cares. Holder knows that he's done in 18 months no matter what happens.

From a political POV the decision is clear. If you investigate then you warm the hearts of your progressive base. If you don't then it simply becomes one more "failure" along with GITMO, Afghanistan and gun control.

Has this ever happened before that the DOJ is so invested in a criminal trial?

Actually, it has happened before. In the Mississippi Burning Case, the Federal government intervened in several cases that arose from it, after the State of Mississippi gave criminals a slap on the wrist for torching peoples' property and beating them up. And, of course, the Feds prosecuted the killers of the 3 civil rights workers when the State of Mississippi dragged it's feet on that case.

Author Brad Thor is offering to purchase a new gun and ammunition for George Zimmerman since Eric Holder won't return his property to him.

It seems they are holding onto the evidence including his gun for a while. Though I do not know how quick the DOJ moves or florida for that matter, I found it a bit odd that the gun was going to be returned so quickly. That has nothing to do with zimmerman, but rather the speed of crippled sloth that the court system seems to operate on. I had a paintball gun tied up for over a year after a case of mine was dismissed. Just because you made the application and request it back does not mean they hand things back to you right away. Of course, Zimmerman does deserve his gun back, and the DOJ is going to drag their feet for as long as possible looking at "charges" they would be really friggen stupid to try and file. It sucks, but unless i see something more concrete that this is being done out of malice i would say this is just the same old BS anyone has to go through when their stuff is caught up as evidence.

It seems they are holding onto the evidence including his gun for a while. Though I do not know how quick the DOJ moves or florida for that matter, I found it a bit odd that the gun was going to be returned so quickly. That has nothing to do with zimmerman, but rather the speed of crippled sloth that the court system seems to operate on. I had a paintball gun tied up for over a year after a case of mine was dismissed. Just because you made the application and request it back does not mean they hand things back to you right away. Of course, Zimmerman does deserve his gun back, and the DOJ is going to drag their feet for as long as possible looking at "charges" they would be really friggen stupid to try and file. It sucks, but unless i see something more concrete that this is being done out of malice i would say this is just the same old BS anyone has to go through when their stuff is caught up as evidence.
only until one of the new black panthers has the opportunity to collect the offered bounty

only until one of the new black panthers has the opportunity to collect the offered bounty

As far as I am aware he can buy another gun. If he can afford a lawyer to sue the news and to go to law school I think he can afford another gun. For a guy who is supposed to be broke and unable to get a job he sure seems to do a lot of things. Oyh, and since you bought that line from the right wing crazies, I have this cheap bridge to sell that you might be interested in.

As far as I am aware he can buy another gun.
i hope he does, because my fear is that he will soon need it
can you imagine the outcry if it is found that he is prevented by the government from purchasing a replacement?

If he can afford a lawyer to sue the news and to go to law school I think he can afford another gun.
anybody can afford to go to law school
the difficult part is repaying the student loan, made more difficult if one does not graduate and/or pass the bar to earn an attorney's salary

he did not have money for a defense. he would be in jail right now if he had to have relied on a public defender
but he and his family had the savvy to establish an account where supporters could contribute to his defense fund and cover his living expenses while this episode of his life was ongoing
please don't whine that he did not receive his defense at the taxpayers' expense

For a guy who is supposed to be broke and unable to get a job he sure seems to do a lot of things.
that post appears inspired by the green eyed monster
in much of America, friends and family reach out to help those in need, if they are able. unlike you, i see that as a good thing; one of middle America's virtues

Oyh, and since you bought that line from the right wing crazies, I have this cheap bridge to sell that you might be interested in.
the reality is the new black panthers did levy a bounty on zimmerman
and eric holder's 'justice' department has done nothing to suppress that threat upon zimmerman's well being
so, zimmerman does have a legitimate need for a weapon
let's just pray he does not again have to use it in self defense

i hope he does, because my fear is that he will soon need it
can you imagine the outcry if it is found that he is prevented by the government from purchasing a replacement?

You actually have a fear of that? Are you related to him? I would imagine some gun nits would whine and complain he wasn't able to kill more black people. In the end what are they going to do aside from whine and complain a lot, which seems to be the cornerstone of what everyone is already doing on both sides in regards to this. So I guess more of the same no matter how it goes.

anybody can afford to go to law school
the difficult part is repaying the student loan, made more difficult if one does not graduate and/or pass the bar to earn an attorney's salary

That is not really affording. That is borrowing.
he did not have money for a defense. he would be in jail right now if he had to have relied on a public defender
but he and his family had the savvy to establish an account where supporters could contribute to his defense fund and cover his living expenses while this episode of his life was ongoing
please don't whine that he did not receive his defense at the taxpayers' expense

Like I said, the guy isn't suffering for money considering how many gullible idiots are out there willing to send him their hard earned cash for no real reason.

that post appears inspired by the green eyed monster
in much of America, friends and family reach out to help those in need, if they are able. unlike you, i see that as a good thing; one of middle America's virtues

Do not forget the idiots who are not even his acquaintances who give him money for shooting a black kid. Still, he probably should not be crying poverty when he has people giving him so much money. Just buy another damned gun and be done with it.

the reality is the new black panthers did levy a bounty on zimmerman
and eric holder's 'justice' department has done nothing to suppress that threat upon zimmerman's well being
so, zimmerman does have a legitimate need for a weapon
let's just pray he does not again have to use it in self defense

Like I said, let me know when you want that bridge. Oh, and did you know your picture was in the dictionary next to gullible?

It's ridiculous. He should be a free man, no double jeapordy!

I completely agree. It's unbelievable that this could happen in the United States. Unless one is found guilty of the underlying charge, this should be absolutely impossible. It's a witch hunt. A way to keep the DOJ busy. If civil rights were violated? They should have to be a part of the original charge. Horrible.

You actually have a fear of that? Are you related to him? I would imagine some gun nits would whine and complain he wasn't able to kill more black people. In the end what are they going to do aside from whine and complain a lot, which seems to be the cornerstone of what everyone is already doing on both sides in regards to this. So I guess more of the same no matter how it goes.

That is not really affording. That is borrowing.

Like I said, the guy isn't suffering for money considering how many gullible idiots are out there willing to send him their hard earned cash for no real reason.

Do not forget the idiots who are not even his acquaintances who give him money for shooting a black kid. Still, he probably should not be crying poverty when he has people giving him so much money. Just buy another damned gun and be done with it.

Like I said, let me know when you want that bridge. Oh, and did you know your picture was in the dictionary next to gullible?

first. why are you emphasing TM was a "black kid"? Your post show that maybe you have some issues to get past. As MLK stated , people should be judged by their character, not by the color of their skin.

your point of not affording law school can be applied to any other field of study. IMO, from day one parents need to start a advanced learning fund for their kids. That is funding for a tech school or university.

Your gullable idiot comment about those who sent funds to GZ defense is unfounded. How about the idiots who are protesting and harming innocent peoples property? Do you condemn those actions? (to be clear, I did not send any funds to GZ).

It is a shame you cannot accept the decision of the jury. It is time for you to move on. The State had no case. If people in florida don't like the laws. Elect people in that will change them.

first. why are you emphasing TM was a "black kid"? Your post show that maybe you have some issues to get past. As MLK stated , people should be judged by their character, not by the color of their skin.

Well, it seemed important enough to have zimmerman follow him, so perhaps it might be a part of this. Is there another reason to send zimmertman money aside from being happy about him killing a black kid? OK, maybe someone sent him some money just because he killed a child and did not care what color the child was, but most of them were happy to reward him for doing what they wish they could. Oh, and just because someone wants to be a racist and protect themselves with MLK's name does not make them any less racist. Really, you have no idea what MLK was about, nor should you be speaking for him when you are so clearly unaware.
your point of not affording law school can be applied to any other field of study. IMO, from day one parents need to start a advanced learning fund for their kids. That is funding for a tech school or university.

Zimmerman is not a child anymore. 30 years old is a bit old to be sucking on your parent's teet. he should probably man up and do for himself without begging.
Your gullable idiot comment about those who sent funds to GZ defense is unfounded. How about the idiots who are protesting and harming innocent peoples property? Do you condemn those actions?

no, it is pretty well founded. Do you really think zim would return the favor? I am sure he is writing out checks right now to every wannabe white guy accused of murder to help them with their self defense court costs. Oh, and turnabout is foreplay. he gets pissed off at a black kid being in his neighborhood so he shoots him, and some black people get pissed off about that and shoot people. If you are bothered about what black people are doing maybe you should be a little less celebratory over treyvon's death and zim's verdict.
It is a shame you cannot accept the decision of the jury. It is time for you to move on. The State had no case. If people in florida don't like the laws. Elect people in that will change them.

I accept what they said. Like i even said he should get his gun back in the normal due time the courts take. He should also buy another gun because the next black guy probably will have one. Then we will see how courageous he is when confronted with equal odds. Well, we already have a sign he runs like a pansy unless he has an unarmed kid to chase down. It is not like he isn't hiding like the chicken he is. maybe if you give him a tank he will come out of hiding. Not the most courageous of actions for a guy who was supposedly so right, but it is good of you to ignore that.

Well, it seemed important enough to have zimmerman follow him, so perhaps it might be a part of this. Is there another reason to send zimmertman money aside from being happy about him killing a black kid? OK, maybe someone sent him some money just because he killed a child and did not care what color the child was, but most of them were happy to reward him for doing what they wish they could. Oh, and just because someone wants to be a racist and protect themselves with MLK's name does not make them any less racist. Really, you have no idea what MLK was about, nor should you be speaking for him when you are so clearly unaware.

Zimmerman is not a child anymore. 30 years old is a bit old to be sucking on your parent's teet. he should probably man up and do for himself without begging.

no, it is pretty well founded. Do you really think zim would return the favor? I am sure he is writing out checks right now to every wannabe white guy accused of murder to help them with their self defense court costs. Oh, and turnabout is foreplay. he gets pissed off at a black kid being in his neighborhood so he shoots him, and some black people get pissed off about that and shoot people. If you are bothered about what black people are doing maybe you should be a little less celebratory over treyvon's death and zim's verdict.

I accept what they said. Like i even said he should get his gun back in the normal due time the courts take. He should also buy another gun because the next black guy probably will have one. Then we will see how courageous he is when confronted with equal odds. Well, we already have a sign he runs like a pansy unless he has an unarmed kid to chase down. It is not like he isn't hiding like the chicken he is. maybe if you give him a tank he will come out of hiding. Not the most courageous of actions for a guy who was supposedly so right, but it is good of you to ignore that.

amazing.
You are hung up on "black kid"

IMO, a 17 year old is not a kid.

So I have got to ask. Where is your outrage when a black shoots another black? Do a search, there are many news articles about that.

Your response is so ridiculious. Yep, I want every GZ type to have a tank, Heck lets get a mini nuke and clean up the streets.:mrgreen:

If anyone is ignoring facts, it is you.

Do you find the phrase "17 yr old man" to be congruent?

Imho, If I am old enough to be your dad, I might call you a kid.

your response is funny. like Bill Cosby stating is it ok for him to call his son "boy".

Back
Top Bottom