• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The DNC should apologize for manipulating major news coverage

Risky Thicket

Sewer Rat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The DNC rigged the Democratic nomination to favor Hillary Clinton, that we all know. It was accomplished in a number of ways. In fact, the nomination rigging was so successful that Hillary Clinton immediately hired Debbie Wasserman-Schultz the same day DWS was forced to resign as Chair of the DNC. Hillary has had nothing but praise for the shameful and decidedly undemocratic election rigging DWS.

And then there is what was once known as the Fourth Estate, "the Press". The Fourth Estate is critical to a functioning democracy. But America has no functioning democracy. (Refer to the first paragraph above for a recent example). The Fourth Estate no longer exists. The American Press of today functions in a variety of ways: entertainment for the masses; propaganda arm of U.S. government; propaganda branch of big business; and perpetuator of its own self interests.

The Press played a major role in making Donald Trump the GOP candidate just as the Press along with the DNC played a prominent role in marginalizing Bernie Sanders. Of course it continues today as the "Fourth Estate" manipulates information on behalf of Hillary Clinton.

Joseph Goebbels would be proud.

Over the last few weeks, FiveThirtyEight’s forecasts for who will win the presidential election transitioned from a virtual tie between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, to Clinton now taking an 81.7 percent chance of victory compared to 18.3 percent for Trump. At the end of July, polls were bouncing back and forth between Clinton and Trump, but recent polls show Clinton with leads as high as 14 points.

No policy stances have changed in either the Trump or Clinton campaigns during the past two weeks. Trump has provoked negative publicity with boorish comments, but given his entire presidential campaign so far, this isn’t out of the ordinary. The seemingly impressionable voter base that falls in line behind mainstream reporting is alarming. The media’s impact on elections shouldn’t be underestimated. It does, however, illuminates the importance of objectivity and balance from the mainstream press, which has been particularly lacking this campaign season.

The July Wikileaks release of nearly 20,000 Democratic National Committee (DNC) emails validated the concerns of Bernie Sanders supporters that the DNC helped rig the primary election for Clinton. These emails provided a glimpse into how the DNC and the mainstream media work together in providing public relations support for the Democratic establishment.

Source

Last edited:

Top Cat

He's the most tip top
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I wish someone would hack the RNC's emails. I am willing to bet my left nut that the same things was attempted on the right.
Just didn't work.

Ikari

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I wish someone would hack the RNC's emails. I am willing to bet my left nut that the same things was attempted on the right.
Just didn't work.

Gary Johnson is polling very high in the popular vote for a third party and even beating out Trump in a few demographics (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ary-johnson-and-jill-stein-with-young-people/). Do you see that on CNN or Fox News?

No, and it's because the fix is in and it's the Republocrats doing it. The right, just as much as the left, has rigged the system for their power.

ARealConservative

cookies crumble
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Just didn't work.

Rand Paul was once leading the GOP. They did everything they could to minimize his impact in the election. Cruz and Trump were supposed to eat into his base, so Jeb could take the nomination.

Removable Mind

Irremovable Intelligence
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The DNC rigged the Democratic nomination to favor Hillary Clinton, that we all know. It was accomplished in a number of ways. In fact, the nomination rigging was so successful that Hillary Clinton immediately hired Debbie Wasserman-Schultz the same day DWS was forced to resign as Chair of the DNC. Hillary has had nothing but praise for the shameful and decidedly undemocratic election rigging DWS.

And then there is what was once known as the Fourth Estate, "the Press". The Fourth Estate is critical to a functioning democracy. But America has no functioning democracy. (Refer to the first paragraph above for a recent example). The Fourth Estate no longer exists. The American Press of today functions in a variety of ways: entertainment for the masses; propaganda arm of U.S. government; propaganda branch of big business; and perpetuator of its own self interests.

The Press played a major role in making Donald Trump the GOP candidate just as the Press along with the DNC played a prominent role in marginalizing Bernie Sanders. Of course it continues today as the "Fourth Estate" manipulates information on behalf of Hillary Clinton.

Source

We seem to forget who the majority of media is owned by. 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America:

These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America - Business Insider

Snip20160809_4.jpg

These corporations aren't about journalistic integrity, truth, and justice. They are about making money. They are about controlling information that benefits the corporations that disseminate information.

I can't image any entity that would stand to lose more if true government campaign reform was actually a reality than the media. Both private and public airway networks would lose incredible amounts of revenue. If you think about it, the revenue media corporations make gives them substantial influence and power over every aspect of our lives. They probably have the strongest influence over the cost of commodities for consumers, in general. The list goes on.

Good topic, Risky. Thanks.

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Just didn't work.

Whoa! That's espionage!

bubbabgone

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Source

We sure didn't need Wikileaks to report that bon mot.
You can really get away with a lot of shizz when you have no fear of being called on it.

Mr Person

A Little Bitter
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The media used to be far more biased and openly/proudly so, even back at the time of the founding. In addition to being a great read about a great man, the Alexander Hamilton biography by Ron Chernow shows just how ugly things regularly got.

Post #5 gets to the bigger problem: it's not so much bias, as that the bias is now concentrated amongst several major players rather than spread out across a whole lot of genuinely independent publications.

I'd go further: this in turn has lent often undeserved credibility to small "independent" online publications, quite a few of which exist solely to run hit pieces against specific targets. (ie, Breitbart is slaved to electing Trump this time around; or look at sites like "Red State" or "National Review". They present themselves as news sites, but really they're just dedicated to demonizing the left).

eohrnberger

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
We seem to forget who the majority of media is owned by. 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America:

View attachment 67205454

These corporations aren't about journalistic integrity, truth, and justice. They are about making money. They are about controlling information that benefits the corporations that disseminate information.

I can't image any entity that would stand to lose more if true government campaign reform was actually a reality than the media. Both private and public airway networks would lose incredible amounts of revenue. If you think about it, the revenue media corporations make gives them substantial influence and power over every aspect of our lives. They probably have the strongest influence over the cost of commodities for consumers, in general. The list goes on.

So if the left end of the political spectrum is really serious about 'diversity', shouldn't they support the moving of some of these out of NYC and into, let's say, the 'Fly Over Country' just for the sake of diversity?

After all, the 4th estate is critical to a functioning Democracy / Republic such as we still believe ourselves to be, so it really isn't all too much to ask.

manise

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
So if the left end of the political spectrum is really serious about 'diversity', shouldn't they support the moving of some of these out of NYC and into, let's say, the 'Fly Over Country' just for the sake of diversity?

After all, the 4th estate is critical to a functioning Democracy / Republic such as we still believe ourselves to be, so it really isn't all too much to ask.
If a world travel and trade destination like NYC is good enough for the likes of Rush Limbaugh and FOX News, I don't see why MSNBC should move to Shrevesport, Louisiana.

eohrnberger

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
If a world travel and trade destination like NYC is good enough for the likes of Rush Limbaugh and FOX News, I don't see why MSNBC should move to Shrevesport, Louisiana.

Not a fan of diversity? Not a fan of diverse points of view?

I would have never guessed. :roll:

manise

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Not a fan of diversity? Not a fan of diverse points of view?

I would have never guessed. :roll:
I see MSNBC and FOX reporters getting diverse points of view from reporters who actually land and report from "fly over country." It's not their fault that a modern news organization can't make it financially in Shrevesport, LA. If they could, they would gladly take advantage of the cheaper rents and cost of living. But you're welcome to start your own international media organization in Shrevesport and prove them all wrong. Give it go.

Enlighten Me

Reaction score
Southern MO, USA, Earth, System 374655598, Galaxy
Political Leaning
Moderate
DNC apologize for manipulating "The Media"?

I could have sworn Donald got billions of dollars of free air time by saying outrageous things during the primary. Making "BREAKING NEWS" every day. Can't raise Super Pac money for the General Election so he just keeps on grabbing the headlines to get his message out.

Donald Trump should maybe apologize too then???????????

I take exception to the conspiracy that "The Media" is one big thought control machine with a 'hidden agenda'.

The media is just too diverse. Yes, some outlets ARE biased and Yes, they are true propaganda machines that do, in fact, influence public opinion. But those media outlets run the whole spectrum of political and social orientation. Just tune into a news outlet that agrees with your point of view and watch it exclusively. You will get 'radicalized'.

In my opinion, that is the mistake too many Americans make. Just watching one media outlet. Why, I think, Americans are so polarized in their thinking and politics.

One would think that if the same group of people were exposed to a variety of points of view supported with verifiable facts, that an objective consensus would be reachable.

But that is not what you get on this channel or that. You get sound bites rather than honest debate. Grab the ratings, run a teaser about the next Breaking News, and go to commercial.

Ever go to C Span? All sorts of points of view call in and the guest responds with supportable information supporting or refuting that point of view. After 30 minutes, I have pretty much made up my mind on that issue and know how to support it with factual information.

Folks! Do 15 minutes on 3 outlets on the spectrum once a day. That will pretty much cover the new cycle for the day.

Last edited:

Tigerace117

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Source

Was the Nazi reference really nessecary?

Risky Thicket

Sewer Rat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Was the Nazi reference really nessecary?

Fair question. Yes, in fact, it was. Goebbels was a master, a genius of mass manipulation. If you haven't studied Goebbels I can point you to a few books. IMHO the best defense against propaganda is objective awareness and that is not at all easy. Far too many Americans today do not have or do not practice deductive reasoning. Even for those who do practice deductive reasoning it takes effort to stay ahead of very fine tuned propaganda.

The reference to Goebbels is most relevant.

ocean515

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

View attachment 67205454

The problem with the 6 corporations meme is that it ignores the herd of elephants in the room. That is the impact of the internet of things. While broadcast media is significant, print, dying a well deserved death, it's the internet of things that spreads the disinformation and propaganda.

It there any wonder why $100's millions, if not billions, have been spent to create strict ideological websites and think tanks?

Try googling the so called "reporters" under who's byline the majority of articles are written.

eohrnberger

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Source

Yes the DNC should apologize. Further, the biased media should appologize as well, not only for being biased, which they shouldn't be, but also for failing in the obligations to a Democracy / Republic society, to at least be able to be a well informed electorate.

eohrnberger

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Fair question. Yes, in fact, it was. Goebbels was a master, a genius of mass manipulation. If you haven't studied Goebbels I can point you to a few books. IMHO the best defense against propaganda is objective awareness and that is not at all easy. Far too many Americans today do not have or do not practice deductive reasoning. Even for those who do practice deductive reasoning it takes effort to stay ahead of very fine tuned propaganda.

Sounds like the first step in a 12 step program. Need to admit to, and be aware of the problem. I'd say both are seriously lacking in the present electorate.

Tigerace117

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Yeah, but propaganda only works when the audience already agrees on some subliminal level with the idea presented in the propaganda.

Removable Mind

Irremovable Intelligence
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

These corporations don't care about "right" or "left". They're simply a means to an end. MONEY and the power to control.

Removable Mind

Irremovable Intelligence
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The problem with the 6 corporations meme is that it ignores the herd of elephants in the room. That is the impact of the internet of things. While broadcast media is significant, print, dying a well deserved death, it's the internet of things that spreads the disinformation and propaganda.

It there any wonder why $100's millions, if not billions, have been spent to create strict ideological websites and think tanks?

Try googling the so called "reporters" under who's byline the majority of articles are written.

Are you claiming that the consumers of disinformation and propaganda don't have the ability to recognize disinformation and propaganda?

Top Bottom