• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

Rocketman

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
When asked why he robbed banks, Slick Willie Sutton famously answered, “Because that’s where the money is.” Today, millions of Americans appear to have jumped onto our disability rolls for the very same reason. Today, 8.8 million Americans – nearly 6 percent of our workforce – claim they are physically incapable of working.

Add in dependents, and the figure swells to nearly 10.9 million. The number has grown every month since January 1997, when there was a small dip, and has grown faster than the number of added annually to the workforce. For the United States, this is an expensive proposition. The Social Security Administration spent $137 billion on disability last year; Medicare costs for this group tack on another $80 billion, since folks on disability automatically qualify for Medicare.

Read more at The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

When asked why he robbed banks, Slick Willie Sutton famously answered, “Because that’s where the money is.” Today, millions of Americans appear to have jumped onto our disability rolls for the very same reason. Today, 8.8 million Americans – nearly 6 percent of our workforce – claim they are physically incapable of working.

Add in dependents, and the figure swells to nearly 10.9 million. The number has grown every month since January 1997, when there was a small dip, and has grown faster than the number of added annually to the workforce. For the United States, this is an expensive proposition. The Social Security Administration spent $137 billion on disability last year; Medicare costs for this group tack on another $80 billion, since folks on disability automatically qualify for Medicare.

Read more at The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

I think it's just time we realized that some people, for whatever reason, would rather live in poverty, skim by, barely make do -- than actually work for a living. And let them have at it. We'll probably never have full employment in our country; so those people who'd rather scam the system, work out of the back of trucks, drive cabs and double-dip into SS disability? I say let them have at it. We're better off paying them to stay in the sidelines than treating whatever psychological problem they have that makes them too damned lazy to work a real job. I just hope the rich can continue paying them their benefits.

I think it's just time we realized that some people, for whatever reason, would rather live in poverty, skim by, barely make do -- than actually work for a living. And let them have at it. We'll probably never have full employment in our country; so those people who'd rather scam the system, work out of the back of trucks, drive cabs and double-dip into SS disability? I say let them have at it. We're better off paying them to stay in the sidelines than treating whatever psychological problem they have that makes them too damned lazy to work a real job. I just hope the rich can continue paying them their benefits.

I posted this today because I learned about someone that I knew was on disability because his company changed their policies and he was short of retirement age. I saw him working today, come to find out, he is allowed to make an additional 12k per year on top of the disability. Everything he owns is paid for so we are paying this guy a decent early retirement as it does not take much when everything is paid for. I called to see if that was true and it is. I was very frustrated with the whole deal but it explains to me the strategy of today's progressives.

If you think it's bad now, just wait until the CDC's decision to list obesity as a disease takes effect and the 30% of the population that's obese see a shot at free money in their future.

If you think it's bad now, just wait until the CDC's decision to list obesity as a disease takes effect and the 30% of the population that's obese see a shot at free money in their future.

And the litigation attorneys see yet another way to earn 30% of awards. Ha! The rich had better continue getting richer; they're going to have to.

That averages out to about $20K annually for each of those 10.9 million folks which is hardly "just getting by" even without considering the opportunity for "side work" to supplement that base pay. While "the rich" do pay most of the taxes that still ignores the other 43% of federal spending that exceeds what our congress critters will dare ask for in direct taxation.

And the litigation attorneys see yet another way to earn 30% of awards. Ha! The rich had better continue getting richer; they're going to have to.

Attorney fees are now capped at $5,000 for SSI disability claims.

And yet, it is all explained in the changing demographics of the US.

Attorney fees are now capped at $5,000 for SSI disability claims.

I seriously doubt it. They aren't advertising on national television for clients for $5,000 a pop. Oh, I don't doubt that's what it looks like. I just doubt that's what it is.

Hell I am one of those guys. I have fought weight most of my life. I even had lap band surgery 2 years ago and managed to drop 80 pounds. I have not had a soft drink or beer in 2 years now. My health screening is tomorrow. They check waist size, sugar, cholesterol, BP, and triglycerides. If I hit on more than two I have to call or email a counselor twice a week for 90 days. I work out every day on an elyptical and bowflex when home, elypitical when I can on the road.

Last year waist size was the only ding I got, but it is disgusting and frustrating to fight something this long and still be losing.

I seriously doubt it. They aren't advertising on national television for clients for $5,000 a pop. Oh, I don't doubt that's what it looks like. I just doubt that's what it is.

That must have recently been increased to $6,000 - it was $5,000 a couple years ago when my youngest brother got his SSDI. It used to be 25% of the initial award (applied to the back benfits from the initial filing date) but it may take from several months to 2 years to get approved through the SSDI hearing/appeals process.

How Much Will a Social Security Disability Attorney Charge? | Disability Secrets

Hell I am one of those guys. I have fought weight most of my life. I even had lap band surgery 2 years ago and managed to drop 80 pounds. I have not had a soft drink or beer in 2 years now. My health screening is tomorrow. They check waist size, sugar, cholesterol, BP, and triglycerides. If I hit on more than two I have to call or email a counselor twice a week for 90 days. I work out every day on an elyptical and bowflex when home, elypitical when I can on the road.

Last year waist size was the only ding I got, but it is disgusting and frustrating to fight something this long and still be losing.

I hear you, and God love you - as I've said on another thread previously, the food processing industry is like the tobacco industry in the 50s, pumping deadly chemicals and metabolism and brain chemical bombs into our food in the name of making it "tastier" with a longer shelf life. I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime, but I sure hope there's class action lawsuits and the government practically bankrupts the people who are making us fat.

The problem is easy to fix. Just catch a few, make them pay back every nickel and serve some jail time. I'll bet the disabled rolls will decline rapidly.

I hear you, and God love you - as I've said on another thread previously, the food processing industry is like the tobacco industry in the 50s, pumping deadly chemicals and metabolism and brain chemical bombs into our food in the name of making it "tastier" with a longer shelf life. I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime, but I sure hope there's class action lawsuits and the government practically bankrupts the people who are making us fat.

They didn't make us. When I had a very physical job back in the 80's I was the required waist size but BP and Cholesterol were out of whack. Even though I was at the right waist size it was just barely (one size). Now waist is the only thing and everything else is good. I think part of it was the steroids I took in college but can't be sure.

SheepWatchingGeorgeWBushOnTV3.jpg

I'll promptly be illegally immigrating to Mexico when that happens.

He didn't lie. He clearly shows that even after adjusting for age and sex, the % of the workforce and # of awards per issurer have doubled since 1990. If anything, he made your argument for you and for that he deserves a huge :clap:

His 1st graph still shows it nearly doubling as a % of the work force since 1990. His second graph shows that awards have nearly doubled per worker since 1990. In otherwords, his data is completely supports the OP, even as he desperately attempts to show otherwise. What a total fail. :hitsfan:

I guess you did not read. As pointed out in te article:

As Kathy points out, the number on the DI rolls has doubled since 1995 while the working-aged population has only grown by about a fifth. Sounds bad, right?

Back
Top Bottom