• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Difference in Atheists and Believers...

Daisy

"Make sure of the more important things."
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Depends on how you read it...

5560ceb366e76e2e85f0a9b284392afa.jpg

Fails at the second line. I’m an atheist and I do not believe or claim “God does not exist”.

I have no way of knowing if a god exists or not, but I do know that no theists has provided sufficient verifiable evidence for one, and until I do, I will not believe in any god.

Also, you’ll find basically no atheists who believe “people can do what they want without consequences”.

Even Christians don’t believe in “eternal consequences”. You can commit any heinous act you want as a Christian and so long as you ask for forgiveness, eternal consequences are gone.

Believers often look down on atheism as a false belief, and often have some degree of contempt for atheists. Of course atheism is not a belief, or a world-view, and therefore it should not be looked down upon.

If it weren't for believers, there would be no need for the terms atheist or atheism.

Here's my view on life: Live it to the best of one's ability doing the least amount of harm and the most amount of good that one can.

Here's my view on life: Live it to the best of one's ability doing the least amount of harm and the most amount of good that one can.

Basically Humanism.

Fail. As an atheist I live my life as if this is my only chance to make a difference, to do something that matters, to make my mark on the universe for future generations to see. I certainly don't start every day thinking "there is no god".

Today is the first day of the rest of your existence.

Live it like you mean it.

You know what is crazy? Even if I was presented definitive proof of God's existence, it would change in almost no way how I live my life. A lot of my beliefs about super natural stuff might be shaken and I would probably be more likely to believe in ghosts or something. But that's about it. My life isn't in any way based around whether a god exists or not does not exist.

Depends on how you read it.

AnAtheist View On LIfe
I will live my life according to these beliefs (Factually Wrong)
god does not exist (Factually Wrong)
It is just foolish to think that there is a God with a cosmic plan (Factually Wrong)

wow that was fast, did you try to make your post fail so quickly on purpose or are you that monumentally topically ignorant on this subject

Here let me help you with your topical ignorance so you can avoid your factually wrong mistakes in the future

Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

You're welcome

Agreed. Agnostic would be a more accurate term for his beliefs.

They aren’t mutually exclusive. One deals with beliefs. The other deals with claims of knowledge.

I’m an Agnostic Atheist.

And yes, there is a such thing as a Gnostic Atheist.

They aren’t mutually exclusive. One deals with beliefs. The other deals with claims of knowledge.

I’m an Agnostic Atheist.

Agnostic: a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

Atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

Not sure there is anything in between agnostic and atheist.

Then you are not an atheist, by dereproduction.
You don't understand the word atheist.

A + theist means a lack of theistic belief.

Just like a + sexual means a lack of a sexual means of reproduction.

Agreed. Agnostic would be a more accurate term for his beliefs.

Agreed, no point in conversing with a dishonest person...
Atheists believe or have faith that there is no god. Christians like myself believe in God. Agnostics admit they don't know one way or the other.

My everyday life rarely ever has contemplation of whether not any gods exist, so no, my life is not lived according to my non-belief.

I suppose if you mean I don't pray, yes, I live my life without prayer. Other than that, not believing in any gods has no other effect on my life.

I’m an Agnostic Atheist.

Agnostics are technically atheists because they lack theistic beliefs.

I gave you the dictionary definitions of both atheist and agnostic. Or do the dictionaries not understand?

Agnostic: a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

Atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

Not sure there is anything in between agnostic and atheist.

There isn’t anything “between them” because they aren’t mutually exclusive. If you don’t believe in a god but also don’t claim to know if a god exists or not, you are both an Agnostic and an Atheist.

It’s what I am.

I gave you the dictionary definitions of both atheist and agnostic. Or do the dictionaries not understand?
People mis use the words and the dictionary reflects common usage. Look at how the definition of "gay" has changed dramatically.

In fact the prefix "a" before the word "theist" denotes a lack of theistic belief.

Just like the prefix "a" before the word "sexual" denotes a lack of a sexual means of reproductiion.

Agnostics are technically atheists because they lack theistic beliefs.

No. That’s not true either. There are Agnostic Theists.

If you believe in a god, but doesn’t claim to know if a god actually exists or not, then you’re an Agnostic Theist.

Back
Top Bottom