• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The difference betweeen those who have gotten the vaccines and those who refuse

Not at all.

Why is that so many hospitals and healthcare facilities around the world are having a hard time getting their staffs vaccinated?
Now moving goal posts out of the country.

That seems to ignore the reason you gave, that "There are people who depend on my continued presence here."

Well, I'm getting kinda old. Had heart surgery this year in January, while the hospital was swimming in Covid cases. Made peace with the fact that there are more years behind me than in front of me, and that those remaining years are uncertain.
On the other hand, I'm not in any particular hurry to meet my Maker... and there are still quite a few folks who look to me for advice, leadership and occasional aid who'd prefer I stick around as long as possible.
It's a bit more philosophical than the thread warrants, I suppose, but there comes a point in your life where you wonder what you're still worth... and if you find there are still people who value your ongoing presence, and who would be dismayed to carry on without you, it's a great comfort but also a responsibility. Best I can explain it.
In conclusion very few decisions are all of one thing and none of another. :)

To elaborate a bit... yes, getting the vaxx helps everyone by cutting down transmission and curtailing opportunities for the virus to mutate. Yes, I wish everyone would get on with it and get the vaccine. I just don't think characterizing one decision as pure altruism and the other as pure selfishness is accurate. The reasons why people do things are often complex and multi-parted.

No.

I got the vaccine and it ISN'T about "us". It's about "me".

Yeah. I don't need such vaccines. I am effectively "immune" to coronaviruses. I have literally NEVER caught a cold or the Flu since I was 9 years old (scores of years ago), despite exposure.

I took the "one and done" shot, with NO reaction beyond the pin prick of the shot itself. I had been exposed 4 times prior, testing negative each time.

I was not afraid of exposure, nor was I worried I'd spread the disease. I am fairly sure I am not the only citizen with such immunity.

The ONLY reason I took the shot was to be free of wearing those masks.

Now the fools in charge want us to wear masks again, shot or not? Geez, the science is wonderful, isn't it?

And that is all cons care about.

Ah, the always popular tarring-with-a-broad-brush.

Probably wasted breath here, but no group of people numbering in the millions is all of one sort. "Cons" or "Libs" consist of millions of individuals with differing priorities and values even within the group.
And there's the little factoid that Republicans give far more to charity than Democrats, calling your assertion into question.

But why let facts stand in the way of a good rant, eh? :)

For those who have gotten the vaccines it is all about "us". For those who refuse to be vaccinated it is all about "me".
'Us' versus 'me', sums up the how liberals and conservatives view the world and treat fellow Americans...

To elaborate a bit... yes, getting the vaxx helps everyone by cutting down transmission and curtailing opportunities for the virus to mutate. Yes, I wish everyone would get on with it and get the vaccine. I just don't think characterizing one decision as pure altruism and the other as pure selfishness is accurate. The reasons why people do things are often complex and multi-parted.
Good to see you posting "Solomon". Sending my best your way.

Well, I'm getting kinda old. Had heart surgery this year in January, while the hospital was swimming in Covid cases. Made peace with the fact that there are more years behind me than in front of me, and that those remaining years are uncertain.
On the other hand, I'm not in any particular hurry to meet my Maker... and there are still quite a few folks who look to me for advice, leadership and occasional aid who'd prefer I stick around as long as possible.
It's a bit more philosophical than the thread warrants, I suppose, but there comes a point in your life where you wonder what you're still worth... and if you find there are still people who value your ongoing presence, and who would be dismayed to carry on without you, it's a great comfort but also a responsibility. Best I can explain it.
I'm similarly situated. I try to avoid being worth more dead than alive. Don't want anyone getting ideas. :D

Yes, I've missed your solid posting. I'm glad you are more active again too.

Referring to the topic line, there will be a demonstrable difference. The death rate from Covid-19 viral infection is, and will continue to be significantly higher among those who are unvaccinated as compared to those who are.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Back
Top Bottom