• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The delicous Linzertorte or Linzer Torte - a cake from Austria and Germany

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Do you know this delicious cake in the US also?

For me it is the second most delicious cake after the Black Forest Cherry Cake

Linzer Torte
The Linzer Torte is a cake with a short dough (a dough that is rolled out) that has a high content of nuts. It is filled with a marmelade (usually raspberry or red current) then topped with a criss-cross design made with dough strips.

The Linzer Torte is known worldwide. In Germany, it is a specialty in Baden during the Christmas holidays. Here, the cake is traditionally filled with raspberry jam. The Linzer Torte is also popular in Austria. The Austrian version uses red currant jam as the filling.

Region
Baden

History
It is not known exactly who invented the Linzer Torte. Cakes with similar ingredients existed already in the time of the Romans. The oldest recipe on record for the cake dates back to 1696 - a hand written note with ingredients. Baker Johann Konrad Vogel (1796-1883) is often accredited with inventing the Linzer Torte. Although the cake existed before his time, he began mass-producing the cake in his bakery in Linz, Austria and made the cake very popular.
Recipes
Linzer Torte

My mom makes the best Linzer-Torte and also Schwarzwälder-Kirsch-Torte.

But my favorite is strawberry cake and blueberry cake (which we call Moosbere here and the Germans call it Heidelbeere).

During summer, I mountainbike up the local mountains and pick the blueberries myself, so that my mum can make the delicious cakes.

I often pick 5-10kg with a so-called "Riffel":

24158940_XXL.jpg

While I surprisingly never made the cake myself, I made myself muffins with the blueberries in it. So, if I can make the muffins, I could also try the cake next.

But my favorite is strawberry cake and blueberry cake (which we call Moosbere here and the Germans call it Heidelbeere).
So it is!
The sad fact is also:
Heidelbeere is the South German word - Blaubeere is the North German word.
And like it is with a lot of other such cases:
Some stupid South Germans and practically all North Germans think that Heidelbeere is "dialect" - and so this word may die out in Standard German.
I hope not, though .....

Here you can see the Linzertorte :)

So it is!
The sad fact is also:
Heidelbeere is the South German word - Blaubeere is the North German word.
And like it is with a lot of other such cases:
Some stupid South Germans and practically all North Germans think that Heidelbeere is "dialect" - and so this word may die out in Standard German.
I hope not, though .....

I find it funny how there are 3 different words for 3 German-speaking regions for this berry.

And the Swiss probably have a 4th name for it … :p

I find it funny how there are 3 different words for 3 German-speaking regions for this berry.

They have indeed their own name:

Swiss-German: Heiti / Heubeeri
Austrian-German: Moosbeere
South German: Heidelbeere
North German: Blaubeere

Never had it or seen it around. Piecrust heaped with jam? I'm not feeling it.

So it is! And the Swiss name is also our name in my region - for we are also Alemannic people - like the people in Vorarlberg in Austria. :)
And so we do not really say Heidelbeere in our dialect, but Heu-Beere - shortened to "Heiwerre". :)

Swiss-German: Heiti / Heubeeri
Austrian-German: Moosbeere
South German: Heidelbeere
North German: Blaubeere
As it happens, I had just made a little verse about blue berries.
As a variation on the "Selkirk Grace".
Here it is:

Some have sherries, but no blue berries,
while some have none and want it.
But we have sherries, and sweet blue berries,
so let the Lorrrrrrrrrrrrrd be thankit!

Long live the Linzertorte! Who has ever enjoyed this kind of delicious cake? :) :love::love:

I made my first Linzer torte when I was 18. I filled it with raspberry jam, but apple filling is even better.

If I have a Linzertorte, it feels like Christmas for me! :)

about name and history - or her story:

The Linzer torte is said to be the oldest cake ever to be named after a place.[2] For a long time a recipe from 1696 in the Vienna Stadt- und Landesbibliothek was the oldest one known. In 2005, however, Waltraud Faißner, the library director of the Upper Austrian Landesmuseum and author of the book Wie mann die Linzer Dortten macht ("How to make the Linzer Torte"), found an even older Veronese recipe[clarification needed] from 1653 in Codex 35/31 in the archive of Admont Abbey.[2]

The invention of the Linzer torte is subject of numerous legends, claiming either a Viennese confectioner named Linzer (as given by Alfred Polgar) or the Franconian pastry chef Johann Konrad Vogel (1796–1883), who started mass production of the cake in Linz around 1823.

The Austrian migrant Franz Hölzlhuber claimed to have introduced the Linzer torte to Milwaukee in the 1850s

The delicous Linzertorte or Linzer Torte - a cake from Austria and Germany​

*long time no eat* :(

I made it as a dessert for Easter. oops.
That is OK as well, of course. :)

----------

The Linzertorte is specially popular around Christmas. 😍
So now is the right time to re-vive this thread. :)

Just in time for the Festive Season comes this holiday classic. Linzer Torte is a holiday classic in the Austrian, Hungarian, Swiss, German, and Tirolean traditions, often eaten at Christmas. Linzer Torte is often made like small tarts or cookies. The Linzer Torte is an Austrian Torte with a lattice design on top of the pastry. It is named after the city of Linz in Austria.

I made it as a dessert for Easter. oops.
Christmas has passed now - and Easter is nearing again. :)
So you can start thinking about your Easter dessert. :)

Back
Top Bottom