• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Debt Ceiling is the Law of the Land

Oh you mean that globalist compassionate dude? He actually tried to stem the tide of that fork up but, Congress wasn't impressed.

Thus the meltdown, bubble burst or whatever you want to call it.

BTW: chances are that will happen again but, worse.

So that's your explanation of the Bush Recession? Obama caused it by going back in time?

Well this is more creative than most tea party memes, at least.

Easy answer - fire them all and hire folks who can do the job.

I don't think you understand the sheer magnitude of transactions that we're talking about here. We're talking about millions upon millions of transactions on a daily basis. There is no computer system designed to work to "prioritize" these payments, and it certainly isn't possible to do through human capital, so in essence there's just no way to do it. Prioritization of payments, based on how the system is currently set up, just isn't possible, and it isn't possible to set up a new system in time to enact it following a default. It's just not possible.

I don't think you understand the sheer magnitude of transactions that we're talking about here. We're talking about millions upon millions of transactions on a daily basis. There is no computer system designed to work to "prioritize" these payments, and it certainly isn't possible to do through human capital, so in essence there's just no way to do it. Prioritization of payments, based on how the system is currently set up, just isn't possible, and it isn't possible to set up a new system in time to enact it following a default. It's just not possible.

Then Clownboy is right. That is a description of one of the most incompetent situations I've ever read about and, frankly, I don't believe it. It sounds like another scare tactic. If that is the case then they should delay all payments until they can reduce the size of government, fire the people at treasury and get some competence in the system. I could reduce the size of government in about a week. They can email me if they need some help.

Then Clownboy is right. That is a description of one of the most incompetent situations I've ever read about and, frankly, I don't believe it. It sounds like another scare tactic. If that is the case then they should delay all payments until they can reduce the size of government, fire the people at treasury and get some competence in the system. I could reduce the size of government in about a week. They can email me if they need some help.

You clearly have absolutely no knowledge on this topic. Do you know how the Treasury processes transactions? Do you know what systems are used? Do you know how they pass through the treasury, or where these transactions come from or are going? Do you know what the DoD Disbursing Offices are? Or what the purpose of the Bureau of Fiscal Services is and who it services? Did you know that around 100 million transactions pass through these departments every single month?

So much for the technical issues of which you're completely unaware and dismiss as unimportant to forming your own opinion. Do you understand the legal issues behind such a prioritization plan? Do you even know if it's legal? How do you know that they even have the authority to do so? Do you know what the laws are surrounding these payment systems?

And you think this stuff can be conjured up in a week or less? It sounds like you're the one being incompetent in forming your own opinion and I'm glad that you have no sway over our legal system.

You clearly have absolutely no knowledge on this topic. Do you know how the Treasury processes transactions? Do you know what systems are used? Do you know how they pass through the treasury, or where these transactions come from or are going? Do you know what the DoD Disbursing Offices are? Or what the purpose of the Bureau of Fiscal Services is and who it services? Did you know that around 100 million transactions pass through these departments every single month?

So much for the technical issues of which you're completely unaware and dismiss as unimportant to forming your own opinion. Do you understand the legal issues behind such a prioritization plan? Do you even know if it's legal? How do you know that they even have the authority to do so? Do you know what the laws are surrounding these payment systems?

And you think this stuff can be conjured up in a week or less? It sounds like you're the one being incompetent in forming your own opinion and I'm glad that you have no sway over our legal system.

Do you? Sounds like you're just making excuses for the Treasury's byzantine system for ducking their job. Very large businesses have no problem with this.

I don't give a hoot. If the government can't prioritize payments then the system is incompetent. Period. Yes.,I could easily cut the government down to size in a week. The problem is that those in power in the government wouldn't do it. The thing is a corrupt, incompetent monstrosity. Explaining that to me is immaterial.

Do you? Sounds like you're just making excuses for the Treasury's byzantine system for ducking their job. Very large businesses have no problem with this.

I don't give a hoot. If the government can't prioritize payments then the system is incompetent. Period. Yes.,I could easily cut the government down to size in a week. The problem is that those in power in the government wouldn't do it. The thing is a corrupt, incompetent monstrosity. Explaining that to me is immaterial.

look how the silly cons cling to the lying narrative their radio masters spoon fed them. their radio masters said “we can just pay the interest to avoid default” and silly cons believe it. I posted a statement from the Inspector General of the Treasury who said not only is it not feasible to only make interest payments, there is no legal basis for it and get this, that direction would have to come from congress. Once again cons prove when it comes to choosing between their ideology or integrity, they always choose their ideology.

look how the silly cons cling to the lying narrative their radio masters spoon fed them. their radio masters said “we can just pay the interest to avoid default” and silly cons believe it. I posted a statement from the Inspector General of the Treasury who said not only is it not feasible to only make interest payments, there is no legal basis for it and get this, that direction would have to come from congress. Once again cons prove when it comes to choosing between their ideology or integrity, they always choose their ideology.

Then I would say that the treasury department is a train wreck and Inspector General should be embarrassed for saying it and be fired for lying. The administration is also claiming not to be paying furloughed employees. According to the Inspector General that would be impossible. The difference between you and me is that you believe what the government tells you and I know better than to do that.

Then I would say that the treasury department is a train wreck and Inspector General should be embarrassed for saying it and be fired for lying. The administration is also claiming not to be paying furloughed employees. According to the Inspector General that would be impossible. The difference between you and me is that you believe what the government tells you and I know better than to do that.

here's a crazy idea. back up your 'narrative' that they can prioritize interest payments. Nevermind, I' don't need to see another lying conservative editorial. How you know the Inspector General is telling the truth and your radio masters are lying is that your radio masters are trying to pretend he didn't say it. I know logic is useless on your kind but I did back up my statement. You've only repeated yours.

Obama's not going to allow default.
You don't seem to understand how the system works. The Congress -- or more aptly, the Tea Party -- is in control of the debt limit, not Obama.

Although he didn't blink when we lost our AAA rating. hummm...[...]
You don't seem to follow history. The Congress -- or more aptly, the Tea Party -- caused the downgrade in the U.S. credit rating due to their last temper tantrum over the debt ceiling. I predict that even if they manage to bail out of this current mess, another downgrade will be forthcoming as a result of it.

Congress can write that check for the interest payment at any time.
Now I know that you're lost in the weeds.... Congress does not write checks, they merely authorize the funds. The Executive writes the checks... that's why it says U.S. Treasury on them, not U.S. Congress :doh

You don't seem to understand how the system works. The Congress -- or more aptly, the Tea Party -- is in control of the debt limit, not Obama.

You don't seem to follow history. The Congress -- or more aptly, the Tea Party -- caused the downgrade in the U.S. credit rating due to their last temper tantrum over the debt ceiling. I predict that even if they manage to bail out of this current mess, another downgrade will be forthcoming as a result of it.

Now I know that you're lost in the weeds.... Congress does not write checks, they merely authorize the funds. The Executive writes the checks... that's why it says U.S. Treasury on them, not U.S. Congress :doh

Whatever...if Congress had done nothing, The prick in charge was gonna use EO.

The constitution mandates that ALL US obligations must be paid. So called "prioritizing" payments is unconstitutional.

[...] The Congress -- or more aptly, the Tea Party -- caused the downgrade in the U.S. credit rating due to their last temper tantrum over the debt ceiling. I predict that even if they manage to bail out of this current mess, another downgrade will be forthcoming as a result of it. [...]

USA Today on 10-16-2013 said:
Fitch Ratings [...] the third-largest of the major debt-rating companies behind Standard & Poor's and Moody's Investors Service, put U.S. Treasury bonds on Rating Watch Negative, which is sometimes but not always a first step before a downgrade.

Fitch issues warning on U.S. credit rating

:doh . . . . .

The constitution mandates that ALL US obligations must be paid. So called "prioritizing" payments is unconstitutional.

Please. The constitution says it is illegal to pay one bill before paying another and it specifies when it must paid? Give me a break, son.

What is the point in having a debt ceiling if you raise it every year?

They should stick to it or just get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom