• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The debates I would like to see and listen to

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I would like to see every debate taped and then have monitors that fact checked every statement made by left and right and point it out to the audience as the tapes are run on TV. It would be interesting to see if the kinds of lies and half truths told by the debaters would change and we would get the real information needed to made a good choice for the office being debated. I guess though if you so hate the other side it would not matter to you as you would tell yourself that your side's lies were not as bad as their side's lies, but it would be interesting to me, how about you?

I would like to see every debate taped and then have monitors that fact checked every statement made by left and right and point it out to the audience as the tapes are run on TV. It would be interesting to see if the kinds of lies and half truths told by the debaters would change and we would get the real information needed to made a good choice for the office being debated. I guess though if you so hate the other side it would not matter to you as you would tell yourself that your side's lies were not as bad as their side's lies, but it would be interesting to me, how about you?
We should know when they're lying.

Make sure you have equal numbers of fact checkers by ideology. That way the show wouldn't be about the debate, it would be about the opinions, sniping, spin, innuendo, hyperbole and lies coming from the fact checkers.

Me? I would find that just about as interesting as watching Wallace interview someone he doesn't agree with. (In other words, not very.)

I'll pass.

Every lie by all sides should be called out.

Great idea.

But the problem is that time, attention, and especially "news" is always forward-focused. There's always something "new" and "shiny." News is short for new and shiny and new and scary.

I already know who I'm voting against.

One of the problems would be the fact that a lot of savvy politicians have learned Half-Truth-Bullshit. Those types of statements take time to evaluate.
Example: "Even Canadians send their injured citizens ACROSS the border to OUR health care hospitals!"
That's true....BUT > That only happens when the Canadian citizen is severely injured and is in a remote area along our border (but we have a hospital nearby)
and it's important to get to a doctor as soon as possible. Makes perfect sense ..and we save someone's life.
But of course, the half-lie politician never tells the rest of the story. Believe me, some of them should get Academy Awards. :)

One of the problems would be the fact that a lot of savvy politicians have learned Half-Truth-Bullshit. Those types of statements take time to evaluate.
Example: "Even Canadians send their injured citizens ACROSS the border to OUR health care hospitals!"
That's true....BUT > That only happens when the Canadian citizen is severely injured and is in a remote area along our border (but we have a hospital nearby)
and it's important to get to a doctor as soon as possible. Makes perfect sense ..and we save someone's life.
But of course, the half-lie politician never tells the rest of the story. Believe me, some of them should get Academy Awards. :)
If you have ever read a fact checker, you would find that they point that out, but it is one thing to look for. Good message.

I already know who I'm voting against.
It's sad this is where are now with elections. The candidates on both sides are generally bad, so instead of voting FOR a good candidate, we're compelled to vote AGAINST the POS in the opposing Party.

🙁

It's sad this is where are now with elections. The candidates on both sides are generally bad, so instead of voting FOR a good candidate, we're compelled to vote AGAINST the POS in the opposing Party.

🙁
It's a fundamental flaw in our system. I'm not sure that it's fixable.

🙁
What's wrong with that? People have been doing it since the very first vote.

Back
Top Bottom