• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Dark History Behind Eurovision’s Ukraine Entry

treehouse

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Jamala's somber song harks back to Soviet persecution of Crimean Tatars at the end of World War II

The camp, pop-filled bonanza that is the Eurovision Song Contest took a turn toward the serious on Thursday night, when Ukrainian jazz singer Jamala’s performed her evocative “1944” during the contest semi-finals. Performing live to millions of viewers, the 32-year-old Jamala sang: “when strangers are coming, they come to your house, they kill you all and say, ‘we’re not guilty, not guilty.'”

The tragedy, which the Ukrainian government recently recognized as genocide, dates back to the early 20th century.

Eurovision Contest Ukraine Entry: What '1944' Is About

Russian involvement in any land that does not belong Russia is doomed to such crimes; the history of Russians is full of such events on different lands and people who are not Russian.

Here is a resolution from The EP on illegal actions of Russians against Crimean Tatars in Crimea:

''JOINT MOTION FOR A RESOLUTION on the Crimean Tatars (2016/2692(RSP))''

A. whereas the Russian Federation has illegally annexed Crimea and Sevastopol and is therefore an occupying state which has violated international law, including the UN Charter, the Helsinki Final Act, the 1994 Budapest Memorandum and the 1997 Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation and Partnership between the Russian Federation and Ukraine;

C. whereas Crimean Tatar leaders, including Mustafa Dzhemilev and Rafat Chubarov, have previously been banned from entering Crimea, and are now allowed to do so but under threat of arrest – thus sharing the same fate as numerous other members of the Mejlis and Crimean Tatar activists and displaced people; whereas more than 20 000 Crimean Tatars have had to leave occupied Crimea and move to mainland Ukraine, according to data provided by the Government of Ukraine;

G. whereas on 26 April 2016 the so-called Supreme Court of Crimea ruled in favour of a request by the so-called Prosecutor-General of Crimea, Natalia Poklonskaya, accusing the Mejlis, which had been the representative body of the Crimean Tatars since its establishment in 1991 and had enjoyed full legal status since May 1999, of extremism, terrorism, human rights violations, illegal actions and acts of sabotage against the authorities;

Joint motion for a resolution on the Crimean Tatars - RC-B8-0582/2016

Cemile (Jamala) did not only win a contest, she also won to have attention of people in the world against Russian crimes on a native population that Russia exiled, killed, ''genocided''(Ukrainian resolution) in the past, and now repeats it again on the civilization of Tatars in Crimea.

A photo from Russian crimes:

Stalins-victims.jpg

https://history105.libraries.wsu.edu/spring2015/2015/01/17/the-ukrainian-crisis/

Last edited:
Eurovision Contest Ukraine Entry: What '1944' Is About

Russian involvement in any land that does not belong Russia is doomed to such crimes; the history of Russians is full of such events on different lands and people who are not Russian.

Here is a resolution from The EP on illegal actions of Russians against Crimean Tatars in Crimea:

Joint motion for a resolution on the Crimean Tatars - RC-B8-0582/2016

Cemile (Jamala) did not only win a contest, she also won to have attention of people in the world against Russian crimes on a native population that Russia exiled, killed, ''genocided''(Ukrainian resolution) in the past, and now repeats it again on the civilization of Tatars in Crimea.

A photo from Russian crimes:

View attachment 67201375

https://history105.libraries.wsu.edu/spring2015/2015/01/17/the-ukrainian-crisis/

While it was a damn tragedy;

Y'all really don't have any room to talk.

And I'm saying this as someone who really doesn't like communism.

You can find all sorts of atrocities committed by the NKVD over the years if you look for. But saying "This is the inevitable result of any Russian involvement in land that doesn't belong to Russians" is rather hypocritical.

I can only predict the reaction of some on here if it was, say, an Armenian singer singing about the Armenian genocide.

No clean hands.

While it was a damn tragedy;

Y'all really don't have any room to talk.

And I'm saying this as someone who really doesn't like communism.

You can find all sorts of atrocities committed by the NKVD over the years if you look for. But saying "This is the inevitable result of any Russian involvement in land that doesn't belong to Russians" is rather hypocritical.

I can only predict the reaction of some on here if it was, say, an Armenian singer singing about the Armenian genocide.

No clean hands.

No, it is not. Talking about Russian crimes on different nations and in different lands are not one or two events, it is more than that, so it is a habit in Russian DNA.

No, it is not, because it is happening right now when we speak; No one can change anything in the past, but we can now.

When an armenian sings about so called g-word, I would be happy to discuss it with you if there was a g-word in a thread you open; untill then, please do not change the topic and compare an event in past with the one happening right now in order to get away the reality, which is also disrespectful of Crimean Tatars who are right now subject to Russian crimes.

No, it is not. Talking about Russian crimes on different nations and in different lands are not one or two events, it is more than that, so it is a habit in Russian DNA.

No, it is not, because it is happening right now when we speak; No one can change anything in the past, but we can now.

When an armenian sings about so called g-word, I would be happy to discuss it with you if there was a g-word in a thread you open; untill then, please do not change the topic and compare an event in past with the one happening right now in order to get away the reality, which is also disrespectful of Crimean Tatars who are right now subject to Russian crimes.

So is it in the Turkish DNA too? After all, y'all have done your best to match them.

As for the other part..... Wow. "The G word"? Seriously?

They won't take away your citizenship for admitting that a genocide took place.

Actually, considering whose running Turkey, they might.

So is it in the Turkish DNA too? After all, y'all have done your best to match them.

As for the other part..... Wow. "The G word"? Seriously?

They won't take away your citizenship for admitting that a genocide took place.

Actually, considering whose running Turkey, they might.
Naw, it's much easier to jail one's own nationals.

That's why they force Kurds to remain Turkish and be the price life or death.

Talking about Russian crimes on different nations and in different lands are not one or two events, it is more than that, so it is a habit in Russian DNA.

That is, Stalin was a Georgian with a Russian DNA? Georgians - is a Russian? You they tell about themselves! : D

(About the DNA of Americans who began their existence with the genocide of Indians, I modestly keep silent ...)

Naw, it's much easier to jail one's own nationals.

That's why they force Kurds to remain Turkish and be the price life or death.

I highly doubt Turkey's reasoning for not giving Kurdish populations their own territory over the past century is because "Its Easier to Jail them"

I highly doubt Turkey's reasoning for not giving Kurdish populations their own territory over the past century is because "Its Easier to Jail them"
Maybe you need to learn to recognise sarcasm even without an emoji being attached to it. ;)

That is, Stalin was a Georgian with a Russian DNA? Georgians - is a Russian? You they tell about themselves! : D

(About the DNA of Americans who began their existence with the genocide of Indians, I modestly keep silent ...)
I wouldn't go so far as to say that this kind of ignorance (cited) is part of Turkish DNA.

But Georgians, Azeris, Chechenians etc. whole darn lot are Caucasians.

Errh............holy crap, that poses problems now as well doesn't it? :lamo

Any case, I digress. They're all the same as Russians and never mind that the Kievan Rus came into being under considerable cooperation of Vikings.

No need to confuse the confused even further ;)

Back
Top Bottom