• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The dangers of youth abstinence pledges are becoming clear

Which is why I clearly state, "Something created by God to bond a man and his wife together with a unique degree of intimacy."

You've already stated this, and you're ignoring my counterarguments.

You're wrong. Morality is no more subjective than gravity.

We break God's Law, we get sexual disease, dysfunction, broken families, abortions, misery, suffering, and death. Open your eyes to the world around you.
-------------------
You're standing at a railroad junction. A train is bearing down on 5 people chained to the track. They're going to die.

But if you throw the switch at the junction the train will veer to another track where there are only 2 chained people who will die.

What is the moral thing to do?

It's funny how STD prevalence is much lower in Western Europe where abstinence is less of a big deal
What are their promiscuity rates? How do they know where each country is in the abstinence to free sex promiscuity?

The Hidden Agenda of the Political Mind: How Self-Interest Shapes Our Opinions, And Why We Won't Admit It, by Jason Weeden and Robert Kurzban discusses ways people differ, and the effect it has on their voting behavior. One way people differ is in sexual behavior. Some people enjoy casual sex and sexual variety, and have little or no interest in getting married. The authors call these people "Freewheelers." Other people are the opposite. The authors call these people "Ring Bearers."

The authors get their data on sexual behavior and preference from the U.S. General Social Survey, combining years 2002 to 2012. There were 16, individuals in this study. According to this study:

"for those who had prior sex partners and who lived together before getting engaged, the ten-year divorce rate is over 40%; among those where virgins until around the time they married, the ten-year diverse rate is tiny, less than 15%."

The authors also write:

"39% of American adults are Freewhelers, 34% are Ring Bearers, and 27% are in the middle."

Although the authors do not point this out, plenty of evidence exists that children who are raised to adulthood by both biological parents living together in matrimony tend to have many fewer problems in life than other children.
16 was a typographical error on my part. Actually, there were 16,128 individuals in the U.S. General Social Survey.

What are their promiscuity rates? How do they know where each country is in the abstinence to free sex promiscuity?
That's a bit hard to measure but what I do know is that Western Europe has a less negative view of premarital sex when compared to the US.

And yet in every western european country except the UK, the teen pregnancy rate was less than half as high. And in the Netherlands which perhaps has the most comprehensive sex ed, the pregnancy rate is very low.

That's a bit hard to measure but what I do know is that Western Europe has a less negative view of premarital sex when compared to the US.

And yet in every western european country except the UK, the teen pregnancy rate was less than half as high. And in the Netherlands which perhaps has the most comprehensive sex ed, the pregnancy rate is very low.
There are to many variables to make a comparison. What percentage of the population in Europe are illegal immigrants? What is the marriage rate? Birth rate? The list is long.

Emerging Europe’s analysis of the data reveals a massive 55 per cent decrease in the population of the region by 2100, from 185.35 million people to just 83.25 million.

There are to many variables to make a comparison. What percentage of the population in Europe are illegal immigrants? What is the marriage rate? Birth rate? The list is long.

Emerging Europe’s analysis of the data reveals a massive 55 per cent decrease in the population of the region by 2100, from 185.35 million people to just 83.25 million.
Huge cultural differences too.

-------------------
You're standing at a railroad junction. A train is bearing down on 5 people chained to the track. They're going to die.

But if you throw the switch at the junction the train will veer to another track where there are only 2 chained people who will die.

What is the moral thing to do?
I can appreciate your desire to delve into deeper moral hypotheticals, but they really aren't on topic here.

For this thread, suffice it to say that I'm asserting premarital sex is unconditionally immoral and harmful (both to the individual and to society), and @roguenuke vehemently disagrees.

I can appreciate your desire to delve into deeper moral hypotheticals, but they really aren't on topic here.

For this thread, suffice it to say that I'm asserting premarital sex is unconditionally immoral and harmful (both to the individual and to society), and @roguenuke vehemently disagrees.
That's how it started, but if you want to say "premarital sex is unconditionally immoral," we need to define who gets to decide what is and isn't moral.

If you say, "Morality is no more subjective than gravity." You have to explain why. You have taken us down a philosophical rabbit hole whether you intended to or not.

My post was meant to shed a little light on what we here believe is moral. Thus my post is squarely on point.

That's how it started, but if you want to say "premarital sex is unconditionally immoral," we need to define who gets to decide what is and isn't moral.

If you say, "Morality is no more subjective than gravity." You have to explain why. You have taken us down a philosophical rabbit hole whether you intended to or not.

My post was meant to shed a little light on what we here believe is moral. Thus my post is squarely on point.

Is your position that who should decide if premarital sex is immoral are 11 year old girls and 12 year old boys, correct? Or is it their teachers? Or their parents?

Is your position that who should decide if premarital sex is immoral are 11 year old girls and 12 year old boys, correct? Or is it their teachers? Or their parents?
I wasn't speaking of children, just consenting adults. Could frame your question about children more clearly and try not to put words in my mouth?

Before, you were saying that comprehensive sex ed would lead to higher teen pregnancy rates and STD prevalence. Now that I proved you wrong, you say that there are too many different factors for an accurate comparison and now you're jumping to fertility rates.

Fertility rates tend to be lower in developed regions because of various factors but the point here is that Europe's low fertility rate is not abnormal.

If you really care about fertility rates, you might want other countries to do what France is doing

Back
Top Bottom