• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The dangers of pool accidents.

DDD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hi,

Exercises in pool are amongst the most rewarding they say. One uses all their muscles in this activity.

But there are also dangers related to it. I have come to be aware of the tendency to speak of accidents that occur in pools frequently here in DP. These accidents are not minor but lead people to death in yearly basis.

I for one know of two such occasions. In one the swimmer got too close to the pool lights whom had the wires exposed to water. The other involved drowning.

Other experiences and statistics are welcomed here at this appropriate place for pool related deaths. For it certainly is a health issue.

Here is one:
Since the 1980's there have been at least 147 incidents documented of suction entrapment in swimming pools, including 36 deaths. Suction entrapment occurs when a swimmer, usually a small child, is trapped by the suction forces created by the water rushing out of the drain at the bottom of the pool. In some cases swimmers have been trapped underwater until they drowned and in others they have suffered serious injuries to various parts of their bodies.
Stop Swimming Pool Suction Entrapment Accidents

I believe there have been situations where people did not have the covers to intakes install properly.

Hi,

Exercises in pool are amongst the most rewarding they say. One uses all their muscles in this activity.

But there are also dangers related to it. I have come to be aware of the tendency to speak of accidents that occur in pools frequently here in DP. These accidents are not minor but lead people to death in yearly basis.

I for one know of two such occasions. In one the swimmer got too close to the pool lights whom had the wires exposed to water. The other involved drowning.

Other experiences and statistics are welcomed here at this appropriate place for pool related deaths. For it certainly is a health issue.

I saw where someone developed an in-pool spin class on special bikes.

Spin Class in the Pool? The Real Deal on Aqua Spinning - Health News and Views - Health.com

As far as the exposed wires, pretty sure that's not possible.

As far as the exposed wires, pretty sure that's not possible.

How are you so sure for this was a rumor with a way too long of a life? People that went to the pools stopped dropping because of it for a while.

In a pool that I was in Albania the lights were away from the pool walls and the wire from the walls to the lights was still linked.

How are you so sure for this was a rumor with a way too long of a life? People that went to the pools stopped dropping because of it for a while.

In a pool that I was in Albania the lights were away from the pool walls and the wire from the walls to the lights was still linked.

Well, most pools I've been to have lights under water. If the wires were exposed, it would short out the lights.

The danger of getting caught in the suction of the drain is much more prominent. IIRC, a celeb's child nearly drowned from such an occurrence.

I'm pretty sure that Obamacare is the cause of most pool related deaths.

I'm pretty sure that Obamacare is the cause of most pool related deaths.

I think you dislike the idea because you are jealous. You may find it in you to consent to grow to like it as soon as he leaves office some miraculous way I think.

On June 29, 2007, six-year-old Abigail Taylor's parents took her to the Minneapolis Golf Club in St. Louis Park, Minnesota. Everyone was leaving the wading pool when Abigail Taylor accidentally fell on the open drain of the pool and her buttocks were sucked into the aperture. The suction dislodged a large section of her small intestine which was forcefully drawn out through the anus, a phenomenon known as transanal evisceration.

Death of Abigail Taylor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think you dislike the idea because you are jealous. You may find it in you to consent to grow to like it as soon as he leaves office some miraculous way I think.

I'm not jealous. I already have a pool, a very nice one with the color changing lights, a diving board, and three bronze dolphin fountain/statues that return the water to the pool after it has been filtered.

Oh, you're talking about Obamacare. I'm kind of neutral to it. I don't really support it, it wasn't the best way to handle our healthcare cost crises at all, and I met with my congressman to suggest a better way. But, I don't think it's the end of our economy or way of life or even the end of quality medical care in the US. I do believe that if it doesn't crash our economy and doesn't result in terrible healthcare, it may be the end of the republican party's chances at the POTUS or keeping control of the House for many years to come.

I'm not jealous. I already have a pool, a very nice one with the color changing lights, a diving board, and three bronze dolphin fountain/statues that return the water to the pool after it has been filtered.

So, what are you doing this weekend? ;)

Oh, you're talking about Obamacare. I'm kind of neutral to it. I don't really support it, it wasn't the best way to handle our healthcare cost crises at all, and I met with my congressman to suggest a better way. But, I don't think it's the end of our economy or way of life or even the end of quality medical care in the US. I do believe that if it doesn't crash our economy and doesn't result in terrible healthcare, it may be the end of the republican party's chances at the POTUS or keeping control of the House for many years to come.

I think you treating your injured and ill with more similar ways such as it is done in the rest of the world is a good thing. I am not against private clinics! They should be available also. But it was a bad idea to make every medical aid as expensive for the benefit of doctors and insurance companies. It ultimately put the weakest at the claws of ruthless profit seeking capitalists I think!

Terrible!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

The draining canal has such force and it is left open?! Why the heck do not they close the darn open drains already!!

Heaven only knows. We had a fatal suction pool accident here - trying to find the story.

Back
Top Bottom