• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Danger of Milk

Kelzie

The Almighty
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
For those of you who haven't noticed, I am a vegan :mrgreen: ...however, I will try to keep personal bias out of this and rely on facts.

"In recent writings, the research cited most often (by American writers, at least) is the Harvard Nurses Study, which investigated osteoporosis and bone loss in women. As Dr. Robert M. Kradjian of Seton Medical Center at Daly City, Calif., explains, from 1980 to 1992 the Harvard Nurses Study followed 77,761 women between ages 34 and 59 to determine the relationship between milk consumption and osteoporosis.

Dr. Kradjian and Dr. Bernard both report the bottom-line results of the study: "Those who drank three or more glasses of milk per day had no reduction in the risk of hip or arm fractures over the 12-year period, compared to women who drank little or no milk, even after adjustment for weight, menopausal status, smoking, and alcohol use." Moreover, adds Dr. Kradjian, "Fracture rates were higher for those who consumed three or more servings, compared to those who did not drink milk."

source

"Studies link dairy consumption to ovarian and breast cancer in women and prostate cancer in men. Milk, both human and cow, has naturally-occurring growth hormones that can become cancerous in adults, whose bodies are supposed to have finished their growth spurts."

source

People. Milk is meant for baby cows. Not for humans. And every animal is weaned off of milk except for humans. Why is that? At what point did drinking milk from another species become, not only normal, but "healthy"

Anyway....discuss...with science and facts please!!!

Kelzie said:
For those of you who haven't noticed, I am a vegan :mrgreen: ...however, I will try to keep personal bias out of this and rely on facts.

"In recent writings, the research cited most often (by American writers, at least) is the Harvard Nurses Study, which investigated osteoporosis and bone loss in women. As Dr. Robert M. Kradjian of Seton Medical Center at Daly City, Calif., explains, from 1980 to 1992 the Harvard Nurses Study followed 77,761 women between ages 34 and 59 to determine the relationship between milk consumption and osteoporosis.

Dr. Kradjian and Dr. Bernard both report the bottom-line results of the study: "Those who drank three or more glasses of milk per day had no reduction in the risk of hip or arm fractures over the 12-year period, compared to women who drank little or no milk, even after adjustment for weight, menopausal status, smoking, and alcohol use." Moreover, adds Dr. Kradjian, "Fracture rates were higher for those who consumed three or more servings, compared to those who did not drink milk."

source

"Studies link dairy consumption to ovarian and breast cancer in women and prostate cancer in men. Milk, both human and cow, has naturally-occurring growth hormones that can become cancerous in adults, whose bodies are supposed to have finished their growth spurts."

source

People. Milk is meant for baby cows. Not for humans. And every animal is weaned off of milk except for humans. Why is that? At what point did drinking milk from another species become, not only normal, but "healthy"

Anyway....discuss...with science and facts please!!!

Oh crap. Just like the tortoise and the hare (both delicious), I took my time coming up with a witty saying, and your bunny beat me to being the first poster.

danarhea said:
Oh crap. Just like the tortoise and the hare (both delicious), I took my time coming up with a witty saying, and your bunny beat me to being the first poster.

:2razz: That's what you get for trying to be witty. So I take it you agree that milk is the weirdest thing people consume?

Kelzie said:
:2razz: That's what you get for trying to be witty. So I take it you agree that milk is the weirdest thing people consume?

People consume weirder things than milk, but thats for another thread, and probably not in this forum either. LOL.

Seriously, I have a split position on milk. Milk is good for growing youngsters, but when people reach adulthood, milk can cause digestive problems. I dont drink milk at all, although I do eat cheese.

The main problem with milk is the processing of it, and that alone, whether one is vegan or not, should be enough of a fact to keep people away from it.

danarhea said:
People consume weirder things than milk, but thats for another thread, and probably not in this forum either. LOL.

Seriously, I have a split position on milk. Milk is good for growing youngsters, but when people reach adulthood, milk can cause digestive problems. I dont drink milk at all, although I do eat cheese.

The main problem with milk is the processing of it, and that alone, whether one is vegan or not, should be enough of a fact to keep people away from it.

On kids and milk:

"The milk industry is out to sell some milk, regardless of the facts. That's what I call bad science mixed with dishonest marketing. Granted, if children switch from drinking soft drinks to milk, they will very likely lose weight, but "milk" isn't the reason: it's the fact that they've avoided soft drinks (see related ebook on soft drinks). The same children would lose even more weight if they drank pure water instead of milk. Cow's milk isn't a weight loss substance. In fact, thanks to its homogenized fat content and difficult-to-digest proteins, it's actually something that tends to pack on the pounds."

"In fact, all the evidence about cow's milk shows it to be a nutritional disaster for the human body: it's missing essential oils necessary for brain function, it lacks critical minerals (like magnesium) needed for the human body, and worst of all, practically all human beings are allergic to cow's milk, which is why the substance causes so much asthma, chronic sinus infections, and constipation."

source

There's also a book out called the China Study. Good read. Anyway, one of the doctors studies was in the...Phillipines maybe...anyway, not important. The problem was a large number of kids were getting liver cancer. He was one of the docs that went down to investigate. Turned out that it was something in the peanut butter, but only the wealthy kids (who could afford milk) were getting cancer. Turns our casein (a milk protein) as a protein that "turns on" a large amounts of cancer, which partially explains why Americans have such a higher rate of cancers than countries with a lower milk consumption.

I'd have to disagree with drinking milk not helping bone strength, I've only broken a couple bones and these where due to actions were if they wouldn't have broken I would be like the guy from unbreakable e.g. 2 rolled ankles from f'en up on a vert ramp and a launch ramp, 3 cracked rips after hittin a corner going 90 on my motorcycle hittin sugar sand on the edge of the road, bailing and doing about five barrel rolls smack into a telephone poll, and 1 really f'd up knee after a landing on my dirtbike where I came to a dead stop as a result of a tree stump that some ass whole put on the trail. But these are the only times I've broken bones and I've had alot worse wrecks than these with the exception of the motorcycle sceeloe.

Last edited:
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
I'd have to disagree with drinking milk not helping bone strength, I've only broken a couple bones and these where due to actions were if they wouldn't have broken I would be like the guy from unbreakable e.g. 2 rolled ankles from f'en up on a vert ramp and a launch ramp, 3 cracked rips after hittin a corner going 90 on my motorcycle hittin sugar sand on the edge of the road, bailing and doing about five barrel rolls smack into a telephone poll, and 1 really f'd up knee after a landing on my dirtbike where I came to a dead stop as a result of a tree stump that some ass whole put on the trail. But these are the only times I've broken bones and I've had alot worse wrecks than these with the exception of the motorcycle sceeloe.

Well, scientists at Harvard disagree with you. Maybe you should give them a call, and let them know they were mistaken.

I have also heard of a link to arthritis from milk. Something about natural occurring antibodies in milk that cause it. I also heard of a woman who had terminal cancer and after treatment, went vegan. The cancer did not come back.

I am vegan about 95% of the time. I eat only plant-based foods usually but once in a while I crave cheese and burgers. (I am from Wisconsin where cheese is a way of life.) I always feel so much more alive and cleaner when eating only plant based foods. All my freinds wonder how I put on muscle with these eating habits. Meat and dairy are not the only sources of protein. I eat a lot of beans, nuts, and soy. I think vegan food tastes better also because there are not many places to go for vegan food. I have to cook more for myself and that is always better.

How can you possibly be a Vegan, a "strict Vegetarian" yet you're only one 95% of the time?

Milk bad? Then what are us Adult-Like people supposed to drink!?

Arch Enemy said:
How can you possibly be a Vegan, a "strict Vegetarian" yet you're only one 95% of the time?

Yuengling Black & Tan...

I will conduct more "research" this evening...

Arch Enemy said:

Because I eat only plant-based foods 95% of the time as I stated.

I never said anyone should not drink milk. That is an individual choice. Drink all the milk you want to. Drink gasoline for all I care. You're flipping out over a person's eating habits? You should become a vegan, it'll calm your nerves.

mistermain said:
Milk gives me gas.

Thanks for the info!:doh

OK everyone...DISCUSS!:rofl

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Are these the same ones who believe in global warming?

What, you mean are they part of the vast majority of scientists in the world? Probably.

Kelzie said:
What, you mean are they part of the vast majority of scientists in the world? Probably.

What vast majority of scientists?

Well...theres these guys....for starters

The warming of the Earth has been the subject of intense debate and concern for many scientists, policy-makers, and citizens for at least the past decade. Climate Change Science: An Analysis of Some Key Questions, a new report by a committee of the National Research Council, characterizes the global warming trend over the last 100 years, and examines what may be in store for the 21st century and the extent to which warming may be attributable to human activity. The committee was made up of 11 of the nation's top climate scientists, including seven members of the National Academy of Sciences, one of whom is a Nobel Prize winner.

http://www4.nationalacademies.org/onpi/webextra.nsf/web/climate?OpenDocument

And these guys....

Global warming is already under way. The evidence is vast and the urgency of taking action becomes clearer with every new scientific study. Some of the most obvious signs are visible in the Arctic, where rising temperatures and melting ice are dramatically changing the region’s unique landscapes and wildlife—as well as people’s lives and livelihoods. Across the globe, other early warning signs include melting glaciers, shifting ranges of plants and animals, and the earlier onset of spring.

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science/

And these....

An Introduction
According to the National Academy of Sciences, the Earth's surface temperature has risen by about 1 degree Fahrenheit in the past century, with accelerated warming during the past two decades. There is new and stronger evidence that most of the warming over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities. Human activities have altered the chemical composition of the atmosphere through the buildup of greenhouse gases – primarily carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide. The heat-trapping property of these gases is undisputed although uncertainties exist about exactly how earth’s climate responds to them. Go to the Emissions section for much more on greenhouse gases.

http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/Climate.html

I could go on all night but.....you get the point

tecoyah said:
Well...theres these guys....for starters

No majority noted. How many scientists are there in the world? What would constitute a majority?

A review of the research literature concerning the environmental consequences of increased levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide leads to the conclusion that increases during the 20th Century have produced no deleterious effects upon global weather, climate, or temperature. Increased carbon dioxide has, however, markedly increased plant growth rates. Predictions of harmful climatic effects due to future increases in minor greenhouse gases like CO2 are in error and do not conform to current experimental knowledge. http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p36.htm

During the past 2 years, more than 17,100 basic and applied American scientists, two-thirds with advanced degrees, have signed the Global Warming Petition. http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p357.htm

The petition states; There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth. http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p37.htm

So let's see that vast majority of scientists mentioned earlier.

I could go on all night also but, to for you to come up with more than 17,000 scientists having technical training suitable for the evaluation of the relevant research data, you have your work cut out for you already.

C.J. said:
The petition states; There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth.

Um....I did not say , nor did I in any way indicate that global warming was due to Human actions. I believe the point was that there "IS" an increase in global Temperature....which is what I was addressing. No need to increase the panty twist here. And of course some of the Biosphere will benefit from the heating....just as some will not, I fail to see the point.

Hell...even our current Administration now accepts Global Warming as a real phenomenon. If by chance you do not it really makes little difference in my mind, but the scientific community as a whole generally believe the Earth is in a warming trend, regardless of the cause.

What happened to the milk discussion?

I can't handle the lactose, so I don't drink milk. Somehow ice cream, cheese, and other milk products don't bother me, tho. I love a good vanilla malted, but it makes me sick, so that is the only thing I miss.:(
I have also read that a lot of people in other countries, particularly Africa, are not able to digest cow's milk at any age. Don't know how valid that info is.....

tecoyah said:
Um....I did not say , nor did I in any way indicate that global warming was due to Human actions.

Sure you did.

You stated; ""a new report by a committee of the National Research Council, characterizes the global warming trend over the last 100 years, and examines what may be in store for the 21st century and the extent to which warming may be attributable to human activity."

You posted a link to this.

"Global warming is caused by emissions of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases that are emitted primarily by the burning of fossil fuels and the clearing of forests." http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science/

And you posted this; There is new and stronger evidence that most of the warming over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities. Human activities have altered the chemical composition of the atmosphere through the buildup of greenhouse gases – primarily carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide. The heat-trapping property of these gases is undisputed although uncertainties exist about exactly how earth’s climate responds to them. Go to the Emissions section for much more on greenhouse gases.

Additionally the two other links you referenced (http://www4.nationalacademies.org/onpi/webextra.nsf/web/climate?OpenDocument, and http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/Climate.html) reference that global warming was due to Human actions.

tecoyah said:
Hell...even our current Administration now accepts Global Warming as a real phenomenon.

Politicians flow with what wind?

tecoyah said:
the scientific community as a whole generally believe the Earth is in a warming trend, regardless of the cause.

You are welcome to attempt to prove what you believe the scientific community as a whole generally believe.

UtahBill said:
What happened to the milk discussion?

I can't handle the lactose, so I don't drink milk. Somehow ice cream, cheese, and other milk products don't bother me, tho. I love a good vanilla malted, but it makes me sick, so that is the only thing I miss.:(
I have also read that a lot of people in other countries, particularly Africa, are not able to digest cow's milk at any age. Don't know how valid that info is.....

You're right. It's a mutation in our genes that allows Western Europeans, and therefore Americans, to drink milk.

Kelzie said:
You're right. It's a mutation in our genes that allows Western Europeans, and therefore Americans, to drink milk.

Hey its "evolution"

Back
Top Bottom