• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The damage of leaks

ecofarm

global liberation
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Since news reports in early August revealed that the United States intercepted messages between Ayman al-Zawahri, who succeeded Osama bin Laden as the head of Al Qaeda, and Nasser al-Wuhayshi, the head of the Yemen-based Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, discussing an imminent terrorist attack, analysts have detected a sharp drop in the terrorists’ use of a major communications channel that the authorities were monitoring. Since August, senior American officials have been scrambling to find new ways to surveil the electronic messages and conversations of Al Qaeda’s leaders and operatives...

The drop in message traffic after the communication intercepts contrasts with what analysts describe as a far more muted impact on counterterrorism efforts from the disclosures by Mr. Snowden of the broad capabilities of N.S.A. surveillance programs. Instead of terrorists moving away from electronic communications after those disclosures, analysts have detected terrorists mainly talking about the information that Mr. Snowden has disclosed.

Senior American officials say that Mr. Snowden’s disclosures have had a broader impact on national security in general, including counterterrorism efforts. This includes fears that Russia and China now have more technical details about the N.S.A. surveillance programs. Diplomatic ties have also been damaged, and among the results was the decision by Brazil’s president, Dilma Rousseff, to postpone a state visit to the United States in protest over revelations that the agency spied on her, her top aides and Brazil’s largest company, the oil giant Petrobras.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/30/us/qaeda-plot-leak-has-undermined-us-intelligence.html?hp&_r=0

Leakers are patriots?

And as if Brazil doesn't spy on the US, haha.

joko104

Banned
Suspended
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
^ Wow, what a worthless piece. An anonymous source with the government is the basis of that claim. It adds up to nothing at all. An anonymous source told me that article if false. I can't tell you who, but believe me it's absolutely true the article is absolutely false. :roll:

MadLib

monstrous vermin
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

ecofarm

global liberation
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Reading the messages of American citizens is unethical at best, unconstitutional at worst. I'm about as anti-terrorist as you can get, but it is the patriotic duty of Americans to reveal if their government is spying on them.

Collecting a list of phone numbers called to filter for terrorist phone number connections is hardly spying.

L0neW0lf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Yes, because terrorists didn't know that the United States monitors the "major" communications channels.

OldWorldOrder

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
They...didn't. Now they do. And now the Russians and Chinese have a treasure trove of intelligence, too.

All thanks to that "hero", Snowden.

Van Basten

Black Is Smart
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I don't feel Snowden's leaks have done anything in the grand scheme of things. I like that he revealed NSA treachery, but now we're in the midst of the most hypocritical uproar from our major European allies that want to play innocent and clueless, though it's surely for show as far as the governments go. What makes it worse is all the internet activists want to paint America as the only one doing it, which irks me to no end. Spying is the oldest past time of sovereign nations -- besides war, anyway.

But was it all worth it? That remains to be seen, the NSA needs to be chopped down a dozen notches and then some. I guess knowing that much means it was.

Top Bottom