• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Daily Show Sums Up DP, Mainstream Media, and this Mosque Business

Error 404, and this is no breaking news.

Breaking news that it destroys us yes. I'm trying to figure out the link problem though hmmm....

Here is the deal. People who want to take the leap of faith that Muslims in general want to live in peace with all other peoples, and that jihad is just a word, and that examples of intolerance by Muslims is no worse than any other religion or culture, or that this new mosque is in no way a symbol of triumph but rather a symbol of cooperation and peaceful coexistence, go right ahead. I cannot go there myself. I distrust their motives. I don't find practicing Muslims an open and welcoming culture. They seem to only tolerate what they have to tolerate to push forward their agenda whereupon they become less not more intolerant. They seem to want to dominate rather than integrate. So none of this "your a hypocrite or your as in intolerant as them" talk is gonna work on me. Nobody or no religion is perfect but there is a matter of degree here I think matters.

The whole problem with your argument is that it looks at Islam as a unitary faith and refuses to acknowledge the different groups within it. The Wahabihists are the ones who want Taliban-esque governments and like Bin Laden. Other Sunni groups range from somewhat restrictive to no less liberal than your average "mainline" Protestant church. Its like saying all Christianity are intolerant assholes and that divisions like baptist/lutheran/catholic/orthodox mean nothing. Everyone must be, secretly if nothing else, as crazy as the Westboro Baptist church. Only a fool makes more enemies than he/she has to and if you demonize all Islam then you lose any potential allies you may have within the religion.

When a group is as diverse and large as Islam, making any general claims based on the actions of a part of the religion is a horrible idea. Western Islam tends to be pro-peace and pro-human rights and that's the kind of mosque that is going up. If it was wahabihist you might have a point but it isn't, so you don't.

The whole problem with your argument is that it looks at Islam as a unitary faith and refuses to acknowledge the different groups within it. The Wahabihists are the ones who want Taliban-esque governments and like Bin Laden. Other Sunni groups range from somewhat restrictive to no less liberal than your average "mainline" Protestant church. Its like saying all Christianity are intolerant assholes and that divisions like baptist/lutheran/catholic/orthodox mean nothing. Everyone must be, secretly if nothing else, as crazy as the Westboro Baptist church. Only a fool makes more enemies than he/she has to and if you demonize all Islam then you lose any potential allies you may have within the religion.

When a group is as diverse and large as Islam, making any general claims based on the actions of a part of the religion is a horrible idea. Western Islam tends to be pro-peace and pro-human rights and that's the kind of mosque that is going up. If it was wahabihist you might have a point but it isn't, so you don't.

Sorry but I am not refusing to acknowledge anything. I've evaluated all that you put forth here but come to a different conclusion. Hopefully one day the perponderance of the evidence will remove the certain level of mistrust I have but until then I am wary.

Here is the deal. People who want to take the leap of faith that Muslims in general want to live in peace with all other peoples, and that jihad is just a word, and that examples of intolerance by Muslims is no worse than any other religion or culture, or that this new mosque is in no way a symbol of triumph but rather a symbol of cooperation and peaceful coexistence, go right ahead. I cannot go there myself. I distrust their motives. I don't find practicing Muslims an open and welcoming culture. They seem to only tolerate what they have to tolerate to push forward their agenda whereupon they become less not more intolerant. They seem to want to dominate rather than integrate. So none of this "your a hypocrite or your as in intolerant as them" talk is gonna work on me. Nobody or no religion is perfect but there is a matter of degree here I think matters.

that video so eviscerated people who have such intolerant views
please watch it again ... there is a strong message within that great humor

jambalaya what part of Columbia are you from?

Anyways that video rules, and sums up everything so far pretty well.

jambalaya what part of Columbia are you from?

Anyways that video rules, and sums up everything so far pretty well.

I live near the VA Hospital and Fort Jackson off of Garners Ferry Road if you are familiar with Columbia.

Back
Top Bottom