• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Curse of the National Debt's Never-Ending Cycle

apparently, you are unconcerned with the US economy. Not my problem.

What gave you that idea? I'm here, participating in a thread on the subject.

If you are unwilling or unable to defend your position, don't project that on me.

It's called economics
Another weak attempt to dodge. You haven't posted anything that relates to economic analysis. Run along now.

Define why @JohnfrmClevelan, or anyone else, is not concerned with the US economy the way you think he should be.
Good luck getting a coherent response. However, i can full in this void. MAGA cultists are convinced we are in the second great depression because their right-wing media site told them so.

Well, I agree with Threegoofs on this. Your post didn't address his post. You went from blaming the national debt to blaming the decline of manufacturing, without even attempting to link the two.

I'd prefer that we stick to the OP, because that's a pretty straightforward question to answer; the "national debt" is not a debt at all. The government does not truly borrow money, even though it may look that way if you don't examine what actually happens with bond issuance and deficit spending.

The government simply emits liabilities - bonds - in order to deficit spend. They could just as easily emit currency, and nobody would call it "debt." Bond issuance simply means that there is another item in the federal budget, interest, and those dollars are paid to (mostly American) bondholders - just like any other budget item. You may not agree with the wisdom of deficit spending and paying what seems like a lot of bond interest, but treating it like a real debt is simply incorrect. The "national debt" does not need to be extinguished, and it would harm the economy to do so.

As for the American economy's ability to right itself by consuming more (rather than the government deficit spending more, I suppose), there are two big problems with that. First, it requires increased private sector debt, which IS a real burden on future spending. Second, our income inequality is structural, and merely telling consumers to spend more (and increase their debt more in the process) only exacerbates the inequality problem, as ownership (the rich guys) are the main beneficiaries of increased commerce. I don't see how you change that without major government intervention.

OK, but there seems to be little (if any) difference between government creating debt (to itself) which will never be repaid and printing more money.

OK, but there seems to be little (if any) difference between government creating debt (to itself) which will never be repaid and printing more money.

There is very little difference. The central bank converts bonds to dollars to bonds as it sees fit, and bonds held by the central bank can hardly be called debt, as the interest is remitted back to Treasury. And the central bank buying up debt in return for reserves is the definition of "printing money."

As for the economy, the only difference between bonds and dollars (held by people in bank accounts) is that bonds aren't spent, and account balances can be. Treasury bonds can be considered retired dollars, as long as the national debt doesn't decrease (the net conversion of bonds to dollars would be "money printing"). So if you are one who believes that the number of dollars makes a difference to the economy, that matters.

cancel the national debt......

Do you want to extinguish all government liabilities, or simply convert all bonds to dollars (thus eliminating the "debt" part of the government's liabilities)?

So, you interest is collapsing both the economy and our monetary system.

Care to tell us how you would go about that, and more importantly why?

Something, chortle, something... gold.

Something, chortle, something... gold.

And how would you go about doing that? (You are great with the bumper sticker rhetoric, terrible at something requiring a real discussion.)

And how would you go about doing that?
How would i? I'm only pointing out the end of their rhetoric. The Ron Paul types have built up quite a fantasy around the notion of restoring the gold standard. Unfortunately, their political aspirations (Trumpism) have managed to sway the GOP into submission.

How would i? I'm only pointing out the end of their rhetoric. The Ron Paul types have built up quite a fantasy around the notion of restoring the gold standard. Unfortunately, their political aspirations (Trumpism) have managed to sway the GOP into submission.

Clearly I need more coffee, apologies sir.

actually my comment was satirical......obviously we cannot and will not cancel the debt.....the point being why do we even argue about it.......the nation simply cannot function without the flow of money......regardless of where it comes from

Back
Top Bottom