• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The COVID and Variant Threats are far from over And Masks are still a necessity with winter coming on

Razoo

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
In a Sunday night interview with CBS News host Scott Pelley, President Joe Biden declared the Covid-19 pandemic “over.” News media, fellow Democrats and even members of Biden’s own administration soon cried foul. But while the president’s assertion may irritate political media and even his own party, his observation has the inestimable virtue of being correct.

The first notes of disapproval over the president’s assessment of the pandemic’s trajectory followed within minutes of its broadcast. “Biden says 'the pandemic is over,’” Reuters reportedSunday night, “even as death toll, costs mount.”

A follow-up analysis pointed out that Biden may not believe his own rhetoric since his administration is prepared to extend the public health emergency around Covid into next year.

While the president’s assertion may irritate political media and even his own party, his observation has the inestimable virtue of being correct.

Is the pandemic really over, ABC News asked. "The pandemic is emphatically not over," University of California, San Francisco professor Peter Chin-Hong answered, pointing to roughly 400 Covid-related deaths each day — 223,000 in this year alone. "That's several-fold higher than a typical flu season,” he added.

NPR clucked its tongue at the president’s assertion, despite the “thousands of cases being detected every day” and those that go unreported because of mild symptoms or at-home tests that official statistics do not capture.

“We’re in the middle of the greatest mass-disabling event in human history,” one advocate for so-called long Covid sufferers told Time magazine. He added that a return to normalcy was “a crime against humanity.”

It was, however, The Washington Post editorial board that identified the political (and, perhaps, legal) land mine onto which the president had stumbled.

If Biden ends the public health emergency around Covid, the Post reasoned, “some 15 million will lose Medicaid coverage; the reason for a student loan repayment pause will end; the rationale for Trump-era border restrictions, still held in place by a court, will disappear.”

Gutted, too, are the legal arguments for mask mandates on airlines, vaccination requirements on federal employees, and the transfer of millions in student loan debt from borrowers to taxpayers.

Then wear a mask if you wish, wear two of it makes you feel safe

Masks in this household and our children's households are still the order of the day ...... for good reason.

New cases keep coming.

Unfortunately, it seems masks mostly protect others, not the wearer; and even here in the bay area where masks used to be almost universal, now most I see not wearing them.

Masks in this household and our children's households are still the order of the day ...... for good reason.

New cases keep coming.
Good for you that is the choice your family chooses and it should be respected just like you should respect families who make a different choice

In a Sunday night interview with CBS News host Scott Pelley, President Joe Biden declared the Covid-19 pandemic “over.” News media, fellow Democrats and even members of Biden’s own administration soon cried foul. But while the president’s assertion may irritate political media and even his own party, his observation has the inestimable virtue of being correct.

The first notes of disapproval over the president’s assessment of the pandemic’s trajectory followed within minutes of its broadcast. “Biden says 'the pandemic is over,’” Reuters reportedSunday night, “even as death toll, costs mount.”

A follow-up analysis pointed out that Biden may not believe his own rhetoric since his administration is prepared to extend the public health emergency around Covid into next year.

While the president’s assertion may irritate political media and even his own party, his observation has the inestimable virtue of being correct.

Is the pandemic really over, ABC News asked. "The pandemic is emphatically not over," University of California, San Francisco professor Peter Chin-Hong answered, pointing to roughly 400 Covid-related deaths each day — 223,000 in this year alone. "That's several-fold higher than a typical flu season,” he added.

NPR clucked its tongue at the president’s assertion, despite the “thousands of cases being detected every day” and those that go unreported because of mild symptoms or at-home tests that official statistics do not capture.

“We’re in the middle of the greatest mass-disabling event in human history,” one advocate for so-called long Covid sufferers told Time magazine. He added that a return to normalcy was “a crime against humanity.”

It was, however, The Washington Post editorial board that identified the political (and, perhaps, legal) land mine onto which the president had stumbled.

If Biden ends the public health emergency around Covid, the Post reasoned, “some 15 million will lose Medicaid coverage; the reason for a student loan repayment pause will end; the rationale for Trump-era border restrictions, still held in place by a court, will disappear.”

Gutted, too, are the legal arguments for mask mandates on airlines, vaccination requirements on federal employees, and the transfer of millions in student loan debt from borrowers to taxpayers.

People are sick and tired of your demented, anti-human fanaticism. Go live in a hole in the ground and leave the rest of us alone.

Time will tell.........

Unfortunately, it seems masks mostly protect others, not the wearer; and even here in the bay area where masks used to be almost universal, now most I see not wearing them.
They protect the wearer. I wear a mask still and have never had Covid. I've been all over the place. Who told you they don't also protect the wearer? Depending on your situation, they protect you quite a bit.
The only thing I've done differently to my friends who have all had Covid was still wearing a mask in public places.

They protect the wearer. I wear a mask still and have never had Covid. I've been all over the place. Who told you they don't also protect the wearer? Depending on your situation, they protect you quite a bit.
The only thing I've done differently to my friends who have all had Covid was still wearing a mask in public places.

The bottom line is the reports I've seen of masks mainly blocking droplets from infected wearers, while the virus is small enough to get through most masks for wearers. Even your own links suggest some of this, with mention that 'mask mandates help communities', that normal masks only protected from 6.5% of virus, of some providing near zero protection. They mention the same idea was the medical view early on.

On the other hand, they mention more protection for better masks like N95 few seem to use, or using a special technique I'd never heard of. Then again it seems like many people don't even cover their noses and mouths.

But Biden said the pandemic is over.

I'm still wearing a mask. There's probably a good chance of another wave this fall, and/or a worse variant.

People are sick and tired of your demented, anti-human fanaticism. Go live in a hole in the ground and leave the rest of us alone.

Protecting from a deadly virus isn't "anti-human fanaticism."

Biden declared the pandemic is over, so it must be over.

Do you seriously expect the 'COVID public health emergency" to remain in place for life? That is absurd; the cost is absurd. It should have all ended in July 2021.

Wear a mask if you want to and continue with regular booster shots as well. My family opts out of all.

Unfortunately, COVID is obviously here to stay for the foreseeable future and it is way past time to accept that fact and live with it.

The bottom line is the reports I've seen of masks mainly blocking droplets from infected wearers, while the virus is small enough to get through most masks for wearers. Even your own links suggest some of this, with mention that 'mask mandates help communities', that normal masks only protected from 6.5% of virus, of some providing near zero protection. They mention the same idea was the medical view early on.

On the other hand, they mention more protection for better masks like N95 few seem to use, or using a special technique I'd never heard of. Then again it seems like many people don't even cover their noses and mouths.
True, sometimes I wonder why they have them on like a mask beard. lol
I use an N95 or a K95 and wear it as intended. It's the only reason I can think of for not ever catching it. As a matter of fact, I've had no illnesses since Covid, and wearing a mask. No flu, cold, not even a sniffle. My whole family does this as well, and none of us have had anything. We spend an awful lot of time at the hospital and doctors' offices as well because my daughter has Lupus.

Maybe we're those "immune" people. lol

WE purchased a large quantity of N95 and K95 for a worst case scenario. Yes I read long ago that masks
protect across the board.

I've not had COVID thus far. I have been out and about doing a sales gig however never staying close to anyone for very long.

As this thing moved forward LL Bean masks caught my eye per their construction. And they can be washed up to 25 times. They fit best for me as in a tight yet comfortable feel. These could fit over a 95.

And we have stayed close to home since the outbreak avoiding even close friends. ZOOM is going to change that soon. Staying home has increased my expendable income though don't do much so it
adds up.

Nourishment is on the table also. As is D3, Zinc, VitaC, and multiples. Plus Green Vibrance. And recently it is out that COVID can be tied to early Alzheimer. Long COVID is scary.

It's all in one's perception.

WOW, just WOW.
This from the same people who constantly scream "my freedums my choice" yet make such ugly remarks to those who make different choices.

Are we going to do this again?

Read the comebacks on this page so far.

The same people who have for the last 3 years been screaming "my freedoms, my choices" over mask wearing are now making ugly comments to people who CHOOSE to wear masks or are promoting mask wearing.

For the record: everyone in my family still wears masks in public, despite being 4x vaccinated. But this is Canada. I don't harass non mask wearers and guess what - a non mask wearer has never harassed me.

Razoo rightly pointed out that there are still high number of daily cases of Covid and we are entering flu season, so he is "recommending" we still wear masks, but the angry and easily-triggered righties are going to go full on apoplectic when all mask mandates have been cancelled, the above is just a "recommendation".

A real grown up bunch, those righties on here are :rolleyes:

Unfortunately this is as much a take down Joe Biden thread as anything, despite it sounding like a mask wearing thread. I skipped over the Joe Biden parts and concentrated on the theme - COVID is still with us, and we should be prudent. And yes, that is also a "recommendation."

Back
Top Bottom