• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The coronavirus emerged in Italy as early as September of last year, a study shows

Lord Tammerlain

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Coronavirus emerged in Italy as early as September of last year: study (businessinsider.com)

• A study by the National Cancer Institute (INT) of the Italian city of Milan shows revealed that the coronavirus was circulating in Italy as early as September 2019, suggesting that the spread of COVID-19 from countries beyond China was much earlier than previously believed.
  • The findings, published by the INT's scientific magazine Tumori Journal, show that 11.6% of 959 healthy volunteers enrolled in a lung cancer screening trial between September 2019 and March 2020, had developed coronavirus antibodies well before February.
  • The World Health Organization has said the new coronavirus and COVID-19, the respiratory disease it causes, were unknown before the outbreak was first reported in Wuhan, in central China, in December.
snip

• A study by the National Cancer Institute (INT) of the Italian city of Milan shows revealed that the coronavirus was circulating in Italy as early as September 2019, suggesting that the spread of COVID-19 from countries beyond China was much earlier than previously believed.
  • The findings, published by the INT's scientific magazine Tumori Journal, show that 11.6% of 959 healthy volunteers enrolled in a lung cancer screening trial between September 2019 and March 2020, had developed coronavirus antibodies well before February.
  • The World Health Organization has said the new coronavirus and COVID-19, the respiratory disease it causes, were unknown before the outbreak was first reported in Wuhan, in central China, in December.

I missed this article back in November, it is certainly interesting if what is reported is true

Since no one (apparently not even the Chinese) knew about COVID-19 before November of 2019, I rather suspect that the samples weren't checked for it until well after March 2020.
Coronavirus emerged in Italy as early as September of last year: study (businessinsider.com)

I missed this article back in November, it is certainly interesting if what is reported is true
OMG, what should we do? Should we sling mud at each other or uninvite one another to our sandbox? Why not wait until all FACTS are in?

OMG, what should we do? Should we sling mud at each other or uninvite one another to our sandbox? Why not wait until all FACTS are in?
At this point it really doesn't matter where or when it first emerged-except to epidemiologists of course.

Was I slinging mud?

I posted an article that stated that Covid 19 appears to have been in Italy as far back as Sept 2019, and that info was reported by Italian scientists. No mud slung, just extra info on when Covid 19 may have appeared

They also found the Virus in Spain and France in September. Problem is that it was the start of flu season and the symptoms are similar.

The Chinese might have discovered it first, but that has more to do with sheer numbers being over the normal flu spike, than actively looking for a new virus.

It is a bit like the Spanish flu... It originated in Kansas but since Spain had the only free media at the time, the virus was reported on, where as the rest of the world was censoring media due to the war.

They also found the Virus in Spain and France in September. Problem is that it was the start of flu season and the symptoms are similar.

The Chinese might have discovered it first, but that has more to do with sheer numbers being over the normal flu spike, than actively looking for a new virus.

It is a bit like the Spanish flu... It originated in Kansas but since Spain had the only free media at the time, the virus was reported on, where as the rest of the world was censoring media due to the war.

:LOL:

My wife had her worst illness back in November 2019, and right now believes it was Covid 19, she had the flu shot that year

My wife had her worst illness back in November 2019, and right now believes it was Covid 19, she had the flu shot that year

Same, had the worst "flu" like illness in early December 2019... had most of the symptoms (did not lose my sense of taste or smell), and it knocked me out for 2 to 3 weeks after the fever left.

Yea irony eh? Was also one of the only countries not involved in WW1, hence the media was "free". The US media was heavily controlled at the time (like in WW2), as was the British, German and French media.

Yea irony eh? Was also one of the only countries not involved in WW1, hence the media was "free". The US media was heavily controlled at the time (like in WW2), as was the British, German and French media.

Spain had the only free media at the time, the virus was reported on, where as the rest of the world was censoring media due to the war.

I am sure an absolutist monarchy had "free press". Just as the government after had "free press". And the rest of the world was engaged in WWI?

Might want to consult a history book on that. I am pretty sure most of Asia, South and central America and Africa sat that one out.

Spain had the only free media at the time, the virus was reported on, where as the rest of the world was censoring media due to the war.

I am sure an absolutist monarchy had "free press". Just as the government after had "free press". And the rest of the world was engaged in WWI?

Might want to consult a history book on that. I am pretty sure most of Asia, South and central America and Africa sat that one out.

Sigh...

1) The US, UK, French, German, Austrian-Hungarian and other countries involved directly or indirectly in WW1 had massive media censorship. So 10s of thousands of soldiers getting "the flu" and being out of action was censored away. Populations getting the "flu" was also censored away in the beginning. At some point, even the censors could not keep it out of the media because of the massive spread. By that time, however, it was already called the Spanish flu.
2) Spain was neutral.. its political form is irrelevant. The press was far more free in reporting, and hence it reported about this strange new illness. That is why it was called the Spanish flu, and not the US flu or Kansas flu.... where it most likely originated.
3) The far east did not get hit seriously by this flu until very late 1918 to early 1919, and by that time the it was already called the Spanish flu.

Maybe you should look at history books a bit more..

What an incredibly "unAmerican attitude".

The currently approved mode of American political thinking is to wait until you hear the first thing that could possibly be interpreted so as to support what you want reality to be and then to refuse to listen to anything after that point in time since you "already know the truth".

Actually he happens to be correct, a bit overstated, but correct nonetheless.

Wartime censorship precluded reporting on "The 1918 Flu" in the US, UK, and the battlefields. Spain was neutral and its press was free to report on it. which it did, and it was from those reports that the name "Spanish Flu" developed.

Back
Top Bottom