• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Constitutional Right to Bear Arms Has Outlived Its Usefulness

well the Bannite movement has several components (just as the democrat Party has lots of sheep, some elites, and some libertines who don't like the bible thumpers, and the GOP has libertarians, pro business types, and the social control freaks), and many are the WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING hysterics like the Million mad mothers or the Everytown for Hysteria etc. But the Democrat schemers in office-its all about killing off a group that is very effective in keeping Democrats out of office
The problem as I see it is that while we know Hillary is a bannite we also know she is a politician that will work with the Repubs in a give and take scenario meaning it is doubtful she would actually fight for the Aussie plan she said she like. Trump on the other hand says he would protect 2nd A rights yet he supported bioth the AR ban and longer waiting periods, after all he is nothing more than a Democrat, he is a BS Artist and as such is not to be trusted. We could have trusted Cruz to protect those rights but that boat has sailed and we are stuck with the current nasty choices. Do you now know why it is I keep yammering on about people getting prepared, I think either way there is going to be a fight. Get what you want and need NOW and then deal with it if it comes to a fight later. Don't forget those extra HC mags, those $15 -35 mags were selling for over $100 last ban. I am in ammo buying mode, just got a second ammo safe to store it and also have some stashed here and there to ensure a healthy supply is always available for us just in case. Hope for the Best, Prepare for the Worst.

Well just to give an example to the contrary. Why are some 17 times more children killed in gun accidents in the home than in all the rest of the developed world combined Were they criminals too ?

Cry me a river!

Cry me a river!

Because they are essentially disarmed. There's not a lot of auto fatalities in the Federated States of Micronesia having only 1.9/100k, but of course, they only have 37 cars per 1000 residents.

I remember years ago comparing handgun deaths between the US and Canada per handgun. That is, instead of looking at per population capita, it was per handgun capita. It was actually higher in Canada. I suspect that may still hold true and, per gun, there are probably more fatalities in other countries.

The problem is not someone repealing the 2nd A, they know that they cannot win there. But what they can do is ban large numbers of specific types of firearms based on nothing more than their own propaganda or make it so difficult and/or expensive to buy them or the ammunition that many will never be able to exercise their Rights the Founders tried to ensure.

Aint that the honest truth gun control does not care how it removes guns from citizens hands, expense, inconvenience, qualification, verification, tests or laws are all the same designed to make people helpless and unwilling to fight or object unarmed. Cowered by governments ability to punish them for bad thoughts.

Because they are essentially disarmed. There's not a lot of auto fatalities in the Federated States of Micronesia having only 1.9/100k, but of course, they only have 37 cars per 1000 residents.

I remember years ago comparing handgun deaths between the US and Canada per handgun. That is, instead of looking at per population capita, it was per handgun capita. It was actually higher in Canada. I suspect that may still hold true and, per gun, there are probably more fatalities in other countries.

Excellent point and one we should remember.

Since gun controls holds that it is guns that cause this it is obvious one must divided the claimed result by the claimed cause. The number of citizens has nothing to do with it. I'm pretty sure that will reveal some interesting results.

Excellent point and one we should remember.

Since gun controls holds that it is guns that cause this it is obvious one must divided the claimed result by the claimed cause. The number of citizens has nothing to do with it. I'm pretty sure that will reveal some interesting results.
It looks like part of my post got cut off. My apologies, but it continued to link a source for autos per 1k residents, 37 if I recall correctly for micronesia.

I did an analysis years ago, comparing handgun homicides between the US and Canada. Per handgun, Canada was higher.

It looks like part of my post got cut off. My apologies, but it continued to link a source for autos per 1k residents, 37 if I recall correctly for micronesia.

I did an analysis years ago, comparing handgun homicides between the US and Canada. Per handgun, Canada was higher.

I'm reasonably confident a similar comparison with the US and UK would show the same.In the case if the UK handguns are the normal chosen criminal weapon and that would have to be divided by zero ;-) So 10 "gun deaths"/ Zero is considerably worse than the USA.

It seems a much more reasonable way of determining if this "gun crime" invention of gun control is valid or not.

I'm reasonably confident a similar comparison with the US and UK would show the same.In the case if the UK handguns are the normal chosen criminal weapon and that would have to be divided by zero ;-) So 10 "gun deaths"/ Zero is considerably worse than the USA.
It seems a much more reasonable way of determining if this "gun crime" invention of gun control is valid or not.

I've tried finding/recreating my previous work in the matter, but was unable. I remember relying on some very detailed government reports with Gun Fatalities broken down by weapon as well as by type (homicide, suicide, accident, etc). Quick and dirty, though, there's the numbers listed on Wiki:

Firearm-related death rate per 100,000 population per year
Number of guns per capita by country

Note that this is only total firearms, not divided by type. My methodology was to first eliminate countries that didn't have values in both tables. Then, it was a simple matter of dividing the values in the first table by the second, and normalizing to per 100k guns so as to not have to deal with decimals going to 4 or 5 places. The results are in the following post due to character limits.

Sorted by the Unintentional Fatality column, per 100k firearms:

CountryUnintentionalUndetermined
Kuwait 0.000 0.000
United Kingdom 0.000 0.303
Austria 0.033 0.132
Germany 0.033 0.264
Norway 0.064 0.000
Finland 0.069 0.069
Australia 0.092 0.092
Belgium 0.116 0.814
France 0.128 1.314
South Africa 0.157 0.866
United States 0.160 0.071
Canada 0.162 0.065
Sweden 0.190 0.032
Serbia 0.201 0.416
Latvia 0.211 1.421
Switzerland 0.219 0.153
New Zealand 0.221 0.000
Croatia 0.230 0.092
Netherlands 0.256 0.256
Greece 0.267 0.000
Panama 0.276 0.553
Cyprus 0.330 0.330
Denmark 0.333 0.167
Portugal 0.353 1.412
Hungary 0.364 0.364
Slovenia 0.370 0.370
Spain 0.481 0.000
Argentina 0.490 25.196
Czech Republic 0.552 0.798
Azerbaijan 0.571 unavailable
Israel 0.685 3.562
Costa Rica 0.707 2.424
Chile 0.748 0.374
Italy 0.756 0.168
South Korea 0.909 0.909
India 0.952 unavailable
Moldova 1.127 1.127
Belarus 1.233 unavailable
Luxembourg 1.438 2.549
Venezuela 1.589 182.056
Estonia 1.630 3.261
Japan 1.667 1.667
Paraguay 1.765 3.059
Colombia 1.864 17.458
Nicaragua 2.078 5.974
Honduras 2.097 unavailable
Brazil 2.250 0.125
Poland 2.308 7.692
Taiwan 2.391 0.870
El Salvador 2.586 unavailable
Mexico 2.667 3.067
Bulgaria 3.710 1.613
Singapore 4.000 0.000
Slovakia 4.699 2.892
Peru 4.947 1.649
Romania 5.714 0.000
Uruguay 6.289 0.189
Guatemala 10.153 21.450
Georgia 13.699 5.479
Kyrgyzstan 31.111 14.444

I included the "Undetermined" column since many of the countries that have very low in the "unintentional" category have a surprisingly large undetermined. Frankly, I'm skeptical of Kuwait's numbers for both, but I guess if only the elites have firearms, there are no accidents or undetermined cases. Shrug.

I've tried finding/recreating my previous work in the matter, but was unable. I remember relying on some very detailed government reports with Gun Fatalities broken down by weapon as well as by type (homicide, suicide, accident, etc). Quick and dirty, though, there's the numbers listed on Wiki:

Firearm-related death rate per 100,000 population per year
Number of guns per capita by country

Note that this is only total firearms, not divided by type. My methodology was to first eliminate countries that didn't have values in both tables. Then, it was a simple matter of dividing the values in the first table by the second, and normalizing to per 100k guns so as to not have to deal with decimals going to 4 or 5 places. The results are in the following post due to character limits.

Nice work and an interesting result much like I expected. UK is naturally skewed as crimes are not committed using rifles or shotguns and the legal handgun ownership rate is zero. Japan as another example would be similar. This approach is far more sound than a citizen rate which is totally bogus.

I included the "Undetermined" column since many of the countries that have very low in the "unintentional" category have a surprisingly large undetermined. Frankly, I'm skeptical of Kuwait's numbers for both, but I guess if only the elites have firearms, there are no accidents or undetermined cases. Shrug.

See
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1chqUZHuY6cXYrRYkuE0uwXisGaYvr7durZHJhpLGycs/edit#gid=0

Comparing murder rates and gun ownership across countries - Crime Prevention Research CenterCrime Prevention Research Center

Gun Ownership, Suicide and Homicide: An International Perspective ? GunPolicy.org

Back
Top Bottom