• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The constitution and other laws that are over two hundred years old.

Yes, they'll probably have a Constitutional convention within a decade or so.

Many states have voted to call for one.
Don't hold your breath. There has only been one Constitutional Convention, from May until September in 1787.

The US Constitution was last updated in 1992. The document has been updated a total of 27 times since it was originally ratified in 1789. Furthermore, there are more than 50 proposed updates to the US Constitution currently pending in this session of Congress. This is basic civics that any grade school child should already know.

Well, I didn't know the years, the number of updates and the number of updates pending. But then again, I'm not a grade school child.

But I agree that the Constitution has a built-in way of remaining current, so I don't see any need for a complete overhaul (gosh, it sounds like I'm talking to my auto mechanic).

One of the caveats for equal opportunity is that the individual has to have the knowledge, skills and attitude to take advantage of it. Strong values, ethics and social skills are a good foundation.
Where should individuals learn those values, ethics and skills? I notice education is missing from your prescription. Is this the job of parents or teachers? Or is there another way? A church for example or a different organisation like the Boy Scouts?

Where should individuals learn those values, ethics and skills? I notice education is missing from your prescription. Is this the job of parents or teachers? Or is there another way? A church for example or a different organisation like the Boy Scouts?
I'd say at home, school, churches, mentors, society in general would be good initial teachers. Particularly parents. Without parental buy-in the road just gets humongously steep.

Back
Top Bottom