• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Company That Donald Trump Keeps

Oh no - The Washington Post does not like Trump's selection of economic advisors. I guess that makes it official - Trump is doomed. ;)

I thought it most revealing to learn Trump's most trusted mentor, long time lawyer and friend was Roy Cohn.

Yes. *that* Roy Cohn.

Kind of sad. The working class, Blue Collar Republican base has been screwed and lied to by the establishment GOP for decades. So now they latch onto Trump the billionaire, and his billionaire advisers hoping and praying they won't be lied to again.

But they will be. Trump's a con man who only worries about Mr. Trump and his own money. He don't give a s%^t about the Middle Class. He never has, and never will. Neither do his billionaire advisers.

Kind of sad. The working class, Blue Collar Republican base has been screwed and lied to by the establishment GOP for decades. So now they latch onto Trump the billionaire, and his billionaire advisers hoping and praying they won't be lied to again.

But they will be. Trump's a con man who only worries about Mr. Trump and his own money. He don't give a s%^t about the Middle Class. He never has, and never will. Neither do his billionaire advisers.

And they will all cheer being lied to!

And they will all cheer being lied to!

Probably. I never understood why Blue Collar, Middle Class Republicans always, ALWAYS defend trickle down, and carry the rich's water when it comes to economic policies. The working Middle Class Republicans have been cutting their own throats for decades.

But even today, look at any thread in this forum about economics and the Republican MC people here defends every policy that benefits the rich and the Corps., but hurts the MC. It's the MC pocketbook that's being hurt, it's the MC services like public schools and hospitals that are being cut. But they still defend those failed policies that only benefit the rich.

Maybe some day they'll wake up, but I'm not optimistic.

Probably. I never understood why Blue Collar, Middle Class Republicans always, ALWAYS defend trickle down, and carry the rich's water when it comes to economic policies. The working Middle Class Republicans have been cutting their own throats for decades.

But even today, look at any thread in this forum about economics and the Republican MC people here defends every policy that benefits the rich and the Corps., but hurts the MC. It's the MC pocketbook that's being hurt, it's the MC services like public schools and hospitals that are being cut. But they still defend those failed policies that only benefit the rich.

Maybe some day they'll wake up, but I'm not optimistic.

First let me state for the record. There is only ONE class. The American class. That is it. The only difference between us is the amount of money in our pockets.

Now to the reason republicans vote for conservative economic principle.
Because more than a few are in business for themselves. If you take a look at the sources of employment for each state, the Trucking industry employs the most people in almost every state but a couple. Even California. Trucking by and large is small to medium sized business. People who work for or have a small business understand business problems intimately. Very intimately. That's why they want to be taxed less and regulated less.

Oh no - The Washington Post does not like Trump's selection of economic advisors. I guess that makes it official - Trump is doomed. ;)

Hm. Let me see here. He's said he might not defend our NATO allies, he's had "aid Ukraine against Russian aggression" REMOVED from the GOP platform, he's actually asked Russia to find and release the emails of our former Secretary of State in such a way that would influence our national election, his campaign manager (Manafort) was a campaign adviser for the Russia-backed Ukrainian presidential candidate...and yes, he's got very close ties to Russian oligarchs.

But Trump supporters wonder what the big deal is?

Of course, if Hillary had even half the above issues (not to mention his many other outrageous actions and statements), the Right would rightly be calling for her head. But since Trump has that (R) instead of a (D) behind his name, that makes it quite alright for him to get away with all the above....

Of course the Post doesn't like his choice of advisors.

The Washington Post has been anti-Trump basically since day one.

It's no surprise. With The Post and Bob Woodward, and his battalion of "journalists" crusade against Trump, it simply shows how much political journalism has changed over the decades.

Can Progressives say "moderate"?

Hm. Let me see here. He's said he might not defend our NATO allies, he's had "aid Ukraine against Russian aggression" REMOVED from the GOP platform, he's actually asked Russia to find and release the emails of our former Secretary of State in such a way that would influence our national election, his campaign manager (Manafort) was a campaign adviser for the Russia-backed Ukrainian presidential candidate...and yes, he's got very close ties to Russian oligarchs.

But Trump supporters wonder what the big deal is?

Of course, if Hillary had even half the above issues (not to mention his many other outrageous actions and statements), the Right would rightly be calling for her head. But since Trump has that (R) instead of a (D) behind his name, that makes it quite alright for him to get away with all the above....

Are you serious?

You do follow the news, the media, correct? And anywhere, at anytime (especially somewhere like CNN or MSNBC) have you seen or read anything negative about Hitlery?

It is nothing but attacks on Trump, day in and day out. In the meantime, Hitlery is promoted like the angel the Liberal media makes her out to be.

Please stop whining; as soon as the Olympics are over there is more time to bash on Trump.

First let me state for the record. There is only ONE class. The American class. That is it. The only difference between us is the amount of money in our pockets.

Because more than a few are in business for themselves. If you take a look at the sources of employment for each state, the Trucking industry employs the most people in almost every state but a couple. Even California. Trucking by and large is small to medium sized business. People who work for or have a small business understand business problems intimately. Very intimately. That's why they want to be taxed less and regulated less.
Unless speaking metaphorically, this is simply not true.

"American" designates citizenship, while "class" designates socio-economic standing (amongst other things).

Look, I think I can appreciate your sentiments here, just like I enjoy taking-in an idealistically soaring Obama "One America" speech - but even he sees there's class divisions.

The tax, entitlement, social welfare, and various other needs & desires in relationship to government will be very different for that of a welfare mother on the Southside of Chicago vs a hedge-fund manager in the Hamptons.

It would be nice in a Utopian world to think we're all of one class, but we're not. Maybe (or maybe not) we should strive for this (I argue not), but the political reality is these two individuals above will very likely have very different policy desires and requirements. Simply polling & comparing those two zip-codes will tell you this!

Because more than a few are in business for themselves.

I heard that as a reason for YEARS. And personally I've it to be a bunch of BS. Most of the hard core republicans I know are older, retired men who never ever been in business and who are now on a fixed income, either a pension or SS. They not in business, or never have been and have no chance of being 'rich' like the people who they constantly defend. Yet they defend the same old failed GOP economic policies that hurt them and help the rich.

Unless speaking metaphorically, this is simply not true.

"American" designates citizenship, while "class" designates socio-economic standing (amongst other things).

Look, I think I can appreciate your sentiments here, just like I enjoy taking-in an idealistically soaring Obama "One America" speech - but even he sees there's class divisions.

The tax, entitlement, social welfare, and various other needs & desires in relationship to government will be very different for that of a welfare mother on the Southside of Chicago vs a hedge-fund manager in the Hamptons.

It would be nice in a Utopian world to think we're all of one class, but we're not. Maybe (or maybe not) we should strive for this (I argue not), but the political reality is these two individuals above will very likely have very different policy desires and requirements. Simply polling & comparing those two zip-codes will tell you this!

You do know that the term class is meant to divide and separate people? Class as a concept does NOT apply to the US because we have no classes per say. Class refers to the "noble" gentry and the ordinary people in Europe. The privileged and the unprivileged. We aren't Europe no matter how much some idiots think we should be.

I said before I will say it again there is only ONE difference between Americans, that is the money in their pockets and any American can change that difference. You look at class in terms of government services. Our government should be serving us all EQUALLY. Government uses class to divide people and turn them against each other wittingly or not. That's why I hate that term.

You are correct that the two in your example as of now think they need different policies. Here's the thing, government policies that favor one over the other is hurting them both. Its the government and its policies hurting the welfare mother by keeping them in poverty. Its the government and its policies jeopardizing the hedge fund guys profits.

I heard that as a reason for YEARS. And personally I've it to be a bunch of BS. Most of the hard core republicans I know are older, retired men who never ever been in business and who are now on a fixed income, either a pension or SS. They not in business, or never have been and have no chance of being 'rich' like the people who they constantly defend. Yet they defend the same old failed GOP economic policies that hurt them and help the rich.

Who you know is not the totality of the universe A). B) I provided you with some insight with why Republicans vote the way they do which is they are in business for themselves. I provided you with a very valid example as it is the business I am in and that I currently run. Most states major employment comes from the logistics and transportation sector primarily trucking. Most of the trucking capacity is owned by small and medium sized business most drivers work for these small and medium sized business. Truckers more than most are very intimately aware of exactly how abusive the government regulation is and how much we are taxed. Many republicans and Americans in general own and run small business. You see those franchise fast food places or the carpet cleaning or any number of franchised business's and they are almost all owned and run by a small business owner. Most of the business you see is small business. Those people tend to vote for republicans for good reason. Because they are all very intimately familiar with being taxed and regulated excessively. The TEA party stands for Taxed Enough Already. Why do you think there is a schism in the Republican party right now? Because people are tired of the lip service, and having to BOATIA. (Bend Over And Take It Again) derivative of BOHICA, relative to FUBAR and SNAFU.

Who you know is not the totality of the universe A). B) I provided you with some insight with why Republicans vote the way they do which is they are in business for themselves. I provided you with a very valid example as it is the business I am in and that I currently run. Most states major employment comes from the logistics and transportation sector primarily trucking. Most of the trucking capacity is owned by small and medium sized business most drivers work for these small and medium sized business. Truckers more than most are very intimately aware of exactly how abusive the government regulation is and how much we are taxed. Many republicans and Americans in general own and run small business. You see those franchise fast food places or the carpet cleaning or any number of franchised business's and they are almost all owned and run by a small business owner. Most of the business you see is small business. Those people tend to vote for republicans for good reason. Because they are all very intimately familiar with being taxed and regulated excessively. The TEA party stands for Taxed Enough Already. Why do you think there is a schism in the Republican party right now? Because people are tired of the lip service, and having to BOATIA. (Bend Over And Take It Again) derivative of BOHICA, relative to FUBAR and SNAFU.

Yeah well we'll just agree to disagree. But I do agree with your point about lip service.

IMO that's 1 of the big push backs the GOP is seeing now with Trump. I don't believe Trump will do a damn thing to help the Middle Class or workers or small businesses. He's a billionaire, his business practices and bankruptcies have screwed dozens of small businesses.

But he is saying he will, and I think many MC Republicans believe him because they've been lied to for so long by the GOP. The GOP's been in the pocket of big corps and big business for years now. Trade agreement. Tax breaks for big corps, helping to move jobs overseas, and on and on. Neither party has been a friend to small business.

But again Im very sure Trump lying to small business owners, just like the GOP has been for decades.

Yeah well we'll just agree to disagree. But I do agree with your point about lip service.

IMO that's 1 of the big push backs the GOP is seeing now with Trump. I don't believe Trump will do a damn thing to help the Middle Class or workers or small businesses. He's a billionaire, his business practices and bankruptcies have screwed dozens of small businesses.

But he is saying he will, and I think many MC Republicans believe him because they've been lied to for so long by the GOP. The GOP's been in the pocket of big corps and big business for years now. Trade agreement. Tax breaks for big corps, helping to move jobs overseas, and on and on. Neither party has been a friend to small business.

But again Im very sure Trump lying to small business owners, just like the GOP has been for decades.

Of course the GOP has made it a practice to get the middle class to vote against their own best interests. They use social issues that they really don't care about as a wedge to get the poor to vote to remain poor. Of course these social issues are not really addressed and there is the reason for Trump. Politically correct has become the buzz word for social change so anyone that fights that meme is going to bring back 1950's America back. Trump really does not care about SSM or abortion either of course but you won't hear that from his supporters, they think they have finally found the man who will fulfill the promises that they have been hearing for 40 years or more. They are wrong again. I have to laugh when I hear the Evangelists are supporting the womanizer Trump who throws away wives like old razor blades but they are. Remember that Trump made his political bed trying to put the black President in his"place" and that is what has stuck in the minds of his supporters.

Last edited:
Are you serious?

You do follow the news, the media, correct? And anywhere, at anytime (especially somewhere like CNN or MSNBC) have you seen or read anything negative about Hitlery?

It is nothing but attacks on Trump, day in and day out. In the meantime, Hitlery is promoted like the angel the Liberal media makes her out to be.

Please stop whining; as soon as the Olympics are over there is more time to bash on Trump.

Um, 'Scuse you, but there's been plenty in the media that's negative about Hillary...but nothing - NOTHING - that she's done comes close to what Trump's done. If you were half as objective as you seem to think, you'd know that. For instance, how much bad press did Hillary get due to Benghazi? Many months' worth...even after it became clear after EIGHT freaking investigations, most of which were chaired by the gotta-hang-Hillary House GOP, found ZERO wrongdoing by Hillary.

Eight freaking federal investigations (over a longer period of time than the 9/11 Commission!), all of which found ZERO wrongdoing on her part, but if you ask conservatives, almost every one of you will declare that she was guilty as sin. Can you think of a single scandal involving Republicans that went this far? Not even Watergate or Iran-Contra did! She was subjected to what's effectively octuple jeopardy, ZERO wrongdoing was found...yet y'all still think she was guilty.

In other words, Trump's got NOTHING on her when it comes to being hung out to dry by the media. Trump hasn't even faced a FRACTION of what either of the Clintons have faced...or do you not remember the six-years-long witch hunt against Bill, and the only thing y'all could get was that he lied about a blowjob? Come on!

Simpleχity;1066171681 said:
The Company That Donald Trump Keeps

Russian oligarchs and Atlantic City mobsters.

Donald Trump’s new team of billionaire advisers could threaten his populist message

Trump's team is filled with hedge fund managers, bankers, and real estate speculators who have no connection with 'middle-class' Americana.

I'm firmly in the #NeverTrump camp, but what kind of advisors was he expected to pick to help him prepare (if he won) to preside over the world's largest economy....pizza makers? McDonald's managers? landscapers? Who did people think he was friends with (besides Bill & Hillary Clinton)? Are people stupid enough to believe "I'm with her" Hillary has dinner parties with the local butcher shop owner, or a guy who climbs telephone poles for Verizon, or an accountant at IBM?

There's no story here.

No, Trump is doomed for dozens of other reasons...

Back
Top Bottom