• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The coming sunspot max & SWLing with the novel 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)'

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Sunspots reach a gradual maximum every 11 years or so & this stimulates our ionosphere, which becomes highly ionized so that it acts as a 'mirror' reflector for terrestrial radio signals up to a maximum.

The next cycle, #25, max occurs July 2025.

So what else is new? It was a lot of fun during the last cycle & I heard a lot of interesting stuff that you usually can't hear: taxi dispatchers in Rio, Japanese hams after dark (early morning in Japan), rocket launchings at White Sands, Ft Hood Range Control, tanks doing training maneuvers, and a lot more.

I found it hard to believe that a small metal box called the SDRplay RSP2pro could do so much as a radio receiver & yet cost so little. See https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/getting-started-with-the-sdrplay-rsp2-and-sdruno

The little radio takes advantage of advanced digital technology that eliminates the need for large components like filters & transformers. It receives all modes (AM, FM, etc). Everything is controlled by the computer software called SDRuno.

The radio is controlled from your computer. The screen displays frequency information, a panoramic frequency display and a 'waterfall' spectrum analysis display. It will scan a section of spectrum defined by the frequency limits, & stop scanning for a programmed interval.

The wideband antenna that I'm visualizing would be a 90-foot long loop of low-loss coaxial cable hidden above the drop ceiling in my basement office area. I have the coax. This should work as 'skip' signals reflect off the ionosphere at steep downward angles.

See https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-017027

Last edited:
Sunspots reach a gradual maximum every 11 years or so & this stimulates our ionosphere, which becomes highly ionized so that it acts as a 'mirror' reflector for terrestrial radio signals up to a maximum.

The next cycle, #25, max occurs July 2025.

So what else is new? It was a lot of fun during the last cycle & I heard a lot of interesting stuff that you usually can't hear: taxi dispatchers in Rio, Japanese hams after dark (early morning in Japan), rocket launchings at White Sands, Ft Hood Range Control, tanks doing training maneuvers, and a lot more.

I found it hard to believe that a small metal box called the SDRplay RSP2pro could do so much as a radio receiver & yet cost so little. See https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/getting-started-with-the-sdrplay-rsp2-and-sdruno

The little radio takes advantage of advanced digital technology that eliminates the need for large components like filters & transformers. It receives all modes (AM, FM, etc). Everything is controlled by the computer software called SDRuno.

The radio is controlled from your computer. The screen displays frequency information, a panoramic frequency display and a 'waterfall' spectrum analysis display. It will scan a section of spectrum defined by the frequency limits, & stop scanning for a programmed interval.

The wideband antenna that I'm visualizing would be a 90-foot long loop of low-loss coaxial cable hidden above the drop ceiling in my basement office area. I have the coax. This should work as 'skip' signals reflect off the ionosphere at steep downward angles.

See https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-017027

I just ordered my SDR & an active wideband antenna to go with it along with a few miscellaneous cables, adapters & power supplies. Ham Radio Outlet in Delaware was very helpful in making sure I ordered the correct items. The SDR is an SDRplay RSPdx (see https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-017027) & an MFJ-1022 active antenna. All items were in stock & will ship today, so I was told to expect it tomorrow.

I just ordered my SDR & an active wideband antenna to go with it along with a few miscellaneous cables, adapters & power supplies. Ham Radio Outlet in Delaware was very helpful in making sure I ordered the correct items. The SDR is an SDRplay RSPdx (see https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-017027) & an MFJ-1022 active antenna. All items were in stock & will ship today, so I was told to expect it tomorrow.
This radio worked fined the first night. With my MFJ active antenna in my basement, I was able to listen to one of my favorite Madonna songs, My Prayer, from an FM broadcast located 30 miles away. Unfortunately, it stopped working the following day & became junk. I returned it but got hit with a 15% restocking charge.

I've ordered several SDR receivers, one arriving today plugs into your Android table & converts it to a wideband radio receiver with a spectrum display. The 3 others are for using a USB port on your regular computer to control a wideband radio. receiver. Here's the eBay listing for this gadget:

USB-Based RTL-SDR Radio Tuner RF Spectrum Analyzer For Android Devices
( 324355162521 )
The others are:
100KHz-1.7GHz RTL-SDR HF SSB Full Band Radio USB Tuner Receiver RTL2832U+R820T2 (listing #254774093396)

RTL-SDR Blog V3 RTL2832 1PPM TCXO HF BiasT SMA Software Defined Radio + Antennas (listing #283144516411)

These SDR receivers all cost around $30-40, so I'm buying several for comparison. Problem is that they come from China, so lots of time.

Haven't powered up my ancient Grundig G3 in many years, I'll dust it off and feed it some fresh batteries. Maybe even my stone age Hallicrafters S-120. This little gadget looks interesting. Probably best if it were set up some distance from the computer?

Haven't powered up my ancient Grundig G3 in many years, I'll dust it off and feed it some fresh batteries. Maybe even my stone age Hallicrafters S-120. This little gadget looks interesting. Probably best if it were set up some distance from the computer?

Common wisdom about setting up a station is to wrap the receiver's power cord around an inexpensive ferrite. Eliminates most interference that might get picked up by that cord, which acts like an antenna.

We have about 4.5 years before the sunspot max (July 2025) but signals that are not commonly heard will be heard both now, during & after the max.

I'll post reviews of the SDR receivers that I've ordered. For $30 you can't go wrong on the receiver. What is next most important is your antenna. My main interest is in the 29-88 MHz band, which overs the ham 10-meter band as well as the military tactical band of 30-88 MHz. This is known as wideband. I've studied these designs & sell a CD containing wideband antenna patents in my eBay store. The simplest is the bicone. I'd build one myself but I lack the tools & metal-working experience in order to make a decent antenna. While expensive, I've narrowed down my options to the AH Systems SAS-540 bicone on an ATU-514 plastic tripod. (See attached pix for antenna). It comes in 3 parts: the two radiator elements & the central support which contains a balun to get 50 ohm impedance.SAS-540 together.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom