• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The COLA Fro 2017 Will Be .02%!!!!!

rhinefire

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
After a no increase in social security in 2016 the "Increase for 2017 is .02%. Now the average S.S. check I believe is $1300/month and that comes out to $2.60/month. What an insult to all retired people. Vote independent in November.

After a no increase in social security in 2016 the "Increase for 2017 is .02%. Now the average S.S. check I believe is $1300/month and that comes out to $2.60/month. What an insult to all retired people. Vote independent in November.

How is that an insult?

The gimme gimme gimme mentality of Conservatives.

Gotta love it.

The gimme gimme gimme mentality of Conservatives.

Gotta love it.
I supposes others understand your astute ability to identify it as such.

Where did you get that idea? COLA for 2017 won't be determined until October 18th.

It is nice to see how well we have taken care of our elderly. I guess bringing in millions of people to work for less than minimum wage and not pay taxes is a solution to the problem. Oh and for all you people on SS remember nothing has gone up in price in the last 8 years so you don't need any increases.

Just our elected officials need more money to live on. You know how hard it is to get buy on 100 grand a year.:lamo:lamo:lamo

Where did you get that idea? COLA for 2017 won't be determined until October 18th.

The OP is correct. I read about it roughly a month ago.

The OP is correct. I read about it roughly a month ago.

I did a quick look..it's only a projection. COLA is determined by change in the 3rd quarter average of the CPI-W. In 2014, it was 234.242. In 2015,it was 233.278, so no increase for 2016.

We have zero information on 3rd quarter 2016, which will need to be higher than 234.242
June was 235.308

I did a quick look..it's only a projection. COLA is determined by change in the 3rd quarter average of the CPI-W. In 2014, it was 234.242. In 2015,it was 233.278, so no increase for 2016.

We have zero information on 3rd quarter 2016, which will need to be higher than 234.242
June was 235.308

I think you are correct. This was an intermediate assumption but I doubt it changes much from the 02 figure.

http://www.aarp.org/work/social-security/info-2016/social-security-annual-report-ea.html#slide1

June was 235.308

I think you are correct. This was an intermediate assumption but I doubt it changes much from the 02 figure.

Social Security COLA Projected for 2017 - AARP

Funny how liberals want the minimum wage to be adjusted by inflation but are against the SSA COLA.

Huh? No one is against SSA COLA being g adjusted for inflation.

I'm talking about the complaints about the size of the increase being an insult or not big enough. A COLA is a COLA. If it's big then it is big. If it is small then it is small.

It is nice to see how well we have taken care of our elderly. I guess bringing in millions of people to work for less than minimum wage and not pay taxes is a solution to the problem. Oh and for all you people on SS remember nothing has gone up in price in the last 8 years so you don't need any increases.

Just our elected officials need more money to live on. You know how hard it is to get buy on 100 grand a year.:lamo:lamo:lamo

There are makers and takers.

Not sure why you want to reward the looters and not pay the people who work for a living.

Those libruls- always wanting the moochers to get more stuff without working for it.

I'm talking about the complaints about the size of the increase being an insult or not big enough. A COLA is a COLA. If it's big then it is big. If it is small then it is small.

But you were claiming "liberals" want a COLA for minimum wage but are opposed to a COLA to SSN.

But you were claiming "liberals" want a COLA for minimum wage but are opposed to a COLA to SSN.

I just worded it badly. I am claiming that liberals are all for indexing the minimum wage to inflation but are now complaining about the amount of the COLA adjustment not being enough, even though it is indexed to inflation.

I just worded it badly. I am claiming that liberals are all for indexing the minimum wage to inflation but are now complaining about the amount of the COLA adjustment not being enough, even though it is indexed to inflation.

The liberals in your head are certainly making a racket today.

oh, well, I don't disagree with that, then

oh, well, I don't disagree with that, then

You should — the OP is from a conservative. Where are the liberals complaining that a SS COLA is too big?

If MR doesn't like something, he says it's caused by liiiiiiiibruls.

You should — the OP is from a conservative. Where are the liberals complaining that a SS COLA is too big?

If MR doesn't like something, he says it's caused by liiiiiiiibruls.
and you blame conservatives. He never said liberals complained that SS COLA is too big. He said the opposite: that liberals think it's not enough.

Oh, and I find the suggestion that I should disagree with someone solely based on their politics offensive.

Last edited:

They've had 40+ years to save and lived through the greatest flow of wealth in American history. The baby boomer generation has access to untold wealth the likes of which has never been seen. Who's fault is it that they pissed it away?

Good, we need to slow down the growth of SS entitlements. They're going to be the end of us if we don't.

He said the opposite: that liberals think it's not enough.

What liberals claimed it wasn't enough in this thread?

Back
Top Bottom