• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Closing of the Collegiate Mind

mbig

onomatopoeic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Left wing academia has been quashing debate on many subjects...
and accompanied by their shout-em-down progeny.
I was particularly incensed by what happened to Ayaan Hirsi Ali at Brandeis.
(slightly longer excerpt than usual due to WSJ being subscription)

Opponents of free speech have chalked up many campus victories lately as ideological conformity marches on.
RUTH R. WISSE
Wall Street Journal
May 11, 2014
Ruth Wisse: The Closing of the Collegiate Mind - WSJ.com

There was a time when people looking for intellectual debate turned away from politics to the university. Political backrooms bred slogans and bagmen; universities fostered educated discussion. But when students in the 1960s began occupying university property like the thugs of regimes America was fighting abroad, the venues gradually reversed. Open debate is now protected only in the polity: In universities, muggers prevail.

Assaults on intellectual and political freedom have been making headlines. Pressure from faculty egged on by Muslim groups induced Brandeis University last month not to grant Ayaan Hirsi Ali, the proponent of women's rights under Islam, an intended honorary degree at its convocation. This was a replay of 1994, when Brandeis faculty demanded that trustees rescind their decision to award an honorary degree to Jeane Kirkpatrick, former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. In each case, a faculty cabal joined by (let us charitably say) ignorant students promoted the value of repression over the values of America's liberal democracy.

Opponents of free speech have lately chalked up many such victories: New York City Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly prevented from speaking at Brown University in November; a lecture by Charles Murray canceled by Azusa Pacific University in April; Condoleezza Rice, former secretary of state and national-security adviser under the George W. Bush administration, harassed earlier this month into declining the invitation by Rutgers University to address this year's convocation.

Most painful to me was the Harvard scene several years ago when the Committee on Degrees in Social Studies, celebrating its 50th anniversary, accepted a donation in honor of its former head tutor Martin Peretz, whose contributions to the university include the chair in Yiddish I have been privileged to hold. His enemies on campus generated a "party against Marty" that forced him to walk a gauntlet of jeering students for having allegedly offended Islam, while putting others on notice that they had best not be perceived guilty of association with him.

Universities have not only failed to stand up to those who limit debate, they have played a part in encouraging them. The modish commitment to so-called diversity replaces the ideal of guaranteed equal treatment of individuals with guaranteed group preferences in hiring and curricular offerings.

Females and members of visible minorities are given handicaps (as in golf). Courses are devised to inculcate in students the core lesson that (in the words of one recent graduate, writing online at the Huffington Post) "harmful structural inequalities persist on the basis of class, race, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity in the U.S." On too many campuses, as in a funhouse mirror, ideological commitment to diversity has brought about its opposite: ideological hegemony, which is much more harmful to the life of the mind than the alleged structural inequalities that social engineering set out to correct.
[..........]
Because conservative students do not take over buildings or drown others out with their shouting, instructors feel free to mock conservatives in the classroom, and administrators pay scant attention when their posters are torn down or their sensibilities offended. As a tenured professor who does not decline the label "conservative," I benefit from this imbalance by getting to know some of the feistiest students on campus.

But these students need and deserve every encouragement from outside their closed and claustrophobic environs. As one of them put it to me, "There's more faculty interest in climate control than in the Western canon." Multiculturalism guarantees that courses on Islam highlight all the good that can be said of Muhammad and the Quran, but there is no comparable academic commitment to reinvigorating the foundational teachings of American liberal democracy or to strengthening the legacy bequeathed to us by "dead white males."

So far the university culture has not been able to destroy the two-party system" [.......]

In short, let the university become as contentious as Congress. In Nigeria, Islamists think nothing of seizing hundreds of schoolgirls for the crime of aspiring to an education. Here in the United States, the educated class thinks nothing of denying an honorary degree to a fearless Muslim woman who at peril of her life, and in the name of liberal democracy, has insisted on exposing such outrages to the light.
The struggle for freedom is universal; would that our universities were on its side.

Last edited:
Diversity is okay...unless the person with the diverse view or lifestyle is conservative. That must not be tolerated anywhere.

It's something to consider, but what is also to consider is that the academy has been an ideological battleground for the past century. Depending on the time and place it has been seen as the haven for conformity of any viewpoint on the spectrum. Prior to the Second World War, it would not have been out of the ordinary to consider the university to be the haven for the political status-quo (meaning both contemporary liberalism or conservatism). During the 1950s, there was plenty of debate about whether or not academic freedom protected Communist or fellow-traveling faculty.

The thing is that this article could have been written in the 1980s or 1990s. This both speaks to the very real perception that radical Leftism has taken over the university as well as make us wonder if the crisis is entirely consequential or real.

That being said, the article's author made intentional references to Allan Bloom's Closing of the American Mind. Other authors well-worth digging into for similar discussion at that point in time: Roger Kimball, Dinesh D'Souza, Harold Bloom, Peter Shaw, and E.D. Hirsch.

Last edited:
The collegiate mind is still open, it justs depends on ones perspective.
Satanists slated to perform

The Harvard Extension Cultural Studies Club is planning to hold a black mass
The club says the event will be a 'historical reenactment' with 'historical context and background'
It will be preceded by a lecture on the origins of the black mass
The Catholic church has voiced strong opposition to the planned event
The reservation-only event will be held Monday night at the Queen’s Head Pub at Harvard’s Memorial Hall

Last edited:
A lot of liberals are angry about the silencing of Hirsi Ali. But let's not kid ourselves. She has plenty of places to speak elsewhere in academia, and plenty of left-leaning outlets who will welcome her.

Well if you read up on Peretz and Hirsi ali they are both rather extremist bigots.

Peretz was not protested by just Islamic groups but latino and black groups as well. He engages in the same sort of close minded bigotry we see on here a lot. Blanket statements as if ALL Muslims thought the same as the most extreme. Would be like saying all in the GOP are as extreme as the TPs.

Hirsi ali lied repeatedly about her past, what she went through and where she lived. Far from being a political refugee from Somalia she was fleeing an arranged marriage in Kenya. Her insight into Muslim life is as limited as many Europeans with one MAJOR exception- her GRANDMOTHER, not male relative, had her circumcised. That was her big push until 9-11, a very personal battle on female mutilation.

I see Ms Hirsi as the Anne Coulter of Denmark, stays in the spotlight by being controversial rather than working toward any deeper understanding.

I understand why CONs would object to their 'heroes' being denied speaking engagements on University/College campuses, however students have Constitutional Rights as well. I don't see the CONs who were denied doing anything more than making a pro forma speech and picking up an Honorary degree, they certainly are not engaging in any sort of meaningful or frank discussion.

A lot of liberals are angry about the silencing of Hirsi Ali. But let's not kid ourselves. She has plenty of places to speak elsewhere in academia, and plenty of left-leaning outlets who will welcome her.

True enough. But the point is that she was silenced and that this is a genuine embarrassment to the the Academy.

I bet you don't see that kind of crap prevalent in technical universities where people are too focused on learning engineering, physics, chemistry, biology and all other useful sciences.

Where do you find that crap prevalent? In the people learn "gender studies" or "feminist history" or what they'll wanna put in "feminist biology". Or those liberal art students or the ones who waste their time learning "black studies" or any number of other useless courses that are put there for the mentally impaired and confused. Waste tens of thousands of dollars to learn something nobody will employ you. And what will you do because you are unemployable? You'll go into politics, where all the cretins go who can't get a job in the real world. Become a professional politician or an "activist" like that idiot Suey Parks with the cancelcolbert.

True enough. But the point is that she was silenced and that this is a genuine embarrassment to the the Academy.

Yeah, but this crap is being used to condemn the entirety of academia. All the nonsense about liberals crushing conservative ideas out of higher education is just a conspiracy theory and needs to be corrected by actual facts.

I see Ms Hirsi as the Anne Coulter of Denmark, stays in the spotlight by being controversial rather than working toward any deeper understanding.
Umm
She never lived in 'Denmark'.
Coors again tonight?

Notquiteright said:
I understand why CONs would object to their 'heroes' being denied speaking engagements on University/College campuses, however students have Constitutional Rights as well. I don't see the CONs who were denied doing anything more than making a pro forma speech and picking up an Honorary degree, they certainly are not engaging in any sort of meaningful or frank discussion.
Students have a right to protest: Universities the Obligation to educate them with Both sides of the issues.
Students don't decide the courses or the teachers either, tho they do get indoctrinated with the Same point of view by most, thus they then protest what those very liberal teachers don't like.
The Circle... game... is complete.

Last edited:
Umm
She never lived in 'Denmark'.
Coors again tonight?

Students have a right to protest: Universities the Obligation to educate them with Both sides of the issues.
Students don't decide the courses or the teachers either, tho they do get indoctrinated with the Same point of view by most, thus they then protest what those very liberal teachers don't like.

My bad, she was Dutch... and you do the CON deflect- she lied repeatedly about her past to gain citizenship. (kinda missing the real point and substituting a strawman) She never was in the Somali mess, she wasn't brutalized by Muslim men but her own GrandMOTHER. Pretty much a fraud- not someone I'd endorse to speak on a subject- can't trust anything she says without extensive research or biase.

I agree with students can protest, Schools have an obligation to educate. Howsomever honorariums and canned speeches do little of that :roll:

Funny thing about CONs, for the most part they have left teaching and then complained who was left teaching... :doh

But I understand the extreme right sees many, to include fellow CONs, as 'liberal' and see any deviation from the CON story as bearing false witness...

Howsomeever having frauds and bigots give canned speeches isn't going to address what CONs see as a problem...

And I drink Miller Lite, but never on the weeknights... :peace

Forgot to add- many CONs have passed through 'liberal' schools and somehow managed to keep their inner CON- I be thinking your idea of how biased the education is in a major University actually. just another in a rather long list of CON whines and complaints....

Last edited:

I don't think you know what you are talking about. Just more right wing whining because someone stood up to bigotry

My bad, she was Dutch... and you do the CON deflect- she lied repeatedly about her past to gain citizenship. (kinda missing the real point and substituting a strawman) She never was in the Somali mess, she wasn't brutalized by Muslim men but her own GrandMOTHER. Pretty much a fraud- not someone I'd endorse to speak on a subject- can't trust anything she says without extensive research or biase.

I agree with students can protest, Schools have an obligation to educate. Howsomever honorariums and canned speeches do little of that :roll:
Funny thing about CONs, for the most part they have left teaching and then complained who was left teaching... :doh
But I understand the extreme right sees many, to include fellow CONs, as 'liberal' and see any deviation from the CON story as bearing false witness...
Howsomeever having frauds and bigots give canned speeches isn't going to address what CONs see as a problem...
And I drink Miller Lite, but never on the weeknights... :peace
Forgot to add- many CONs have passed through 'liberal' schools and somehow managed to keep their inner CON- I be thinking your idea of how biased the education is in a major University actually. just another in a rather long list of CON whines and complaints....
You sought only to Focus on ONE example, Ali, never responding to the examples like, Condoleeza Rice, Raymond Kelley, Charles Murray, etc.
The point is made with or without Ali alone.
That goes for yours and many other fallacious replies seeking to deflect the issue to just Ali 's applications.

BTW, I am generally PROgressive, but in my case that includes openness to all views. That used to be a generally Left/ACLU position. No more.
That's THE point.

And speaking of CONs... what's with the juvenile/baiting emotiCON posts board-wide? Try faking some mature/coherent posting.

sababa said:
I don't think you know what you are talking about. Just more right wing whining because someone stood up to bigotry
Any CONtent? Never, just political hackery.
At our last encounter, I Showed who DOES know what he's talking about.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/gener...one-nation-under-allah-26.html#post1063248104
You wisely took a powder (as you always should) because you just have an undefendable politics-as-fashion view and are clueLESS on all factual matters.

Last edited:
You sought only to Focus on ONE example, Ali, never responding to the examples like, Condoleeza Rice, Raymond Kelley, Charles Murray, etc.
The point is made with or without Ali alone. That goes for yours and many other fallacious replies seeking to deflect the issue to just Ali 's applications. BTW, I am generally PROgressive, but in my case that includes openness to all views. That used to be a generally Left/ACLU position. No more. That's THE point. And speaking of CONs... what's with the juvenile/baiting emotiCON posts board-wide? Try faking some mature/coherent posting.

Ahhh the CON whine and trying to get personal when debating- yet CONs accuse others of that. :doh

(CON if the first three letters of CONservative, I used to use GOP but both a moderate GOP and radical right CON told me GOP covers too much ground to be a direct substitute for CONservative. So I use CON- feel free to use PRO or LIB, works for me)

I did address the 'others'- I said the honorarium and canned speech that accompanies such dog and pony shows does little for 'educating' and far more for ego stroking/rewriting history. It wasn't that difficult to follow and Ms Hirsi was one of two addressed in the OP. The other fella mentioned in the OP whine piece seems to have been 'attacked' by far more than Muslim student groups- he seems to have offended many.

IF these 'others' held a seminar where questions could be asked, an exchange rather than a monologue accepting some award... THEN I'd say bring 'em on...

But as I noted, the 'liberal' agenda doesn't seem to deter very CONservative graduates somehow keeping to the right of the political spectrum- (I think the effects of any bias are overstated)

I bet you don't see that kind of crap prevalent in technical universities where people are too focused on learning engineering, physics, chemistry, biology and all other useful sciences.

Where do you find that crap prevalent? In the people learn "gender studies" or "feminist history" or what they'll wanna put in "feminist biology". Or those liberal art students or the ones who waste their time learning "black studies" or any number of other useless courses that are put there for the mentally impaired and confused. Waste tens of thousands of dollars to learn something nobody will employ you. And what will you do because you are unemployable? You'll go into politics, where all the cretins go who can't get a job in the real world. Become a professional politician or an "activist" like that idiot Suey Parks with the cancelcolbert.

Yeah...they are probably too busy furthering the global warming conspiracy.

That goes for yours and many other fallacious replies seeking to deflect the issue to just Ali 's applications.

BTW, I am generally PROgressive, but in my case that includes openness to all views. That used to be a generally Left/ACLU position. No more.
That's THE point.

And speaking of CONs... what's with the juvenile/baiting emotiCON posts board-wide? Try faking some mature/coherent posting.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/gener...one-nation-under-allah-26.html#post1063248104
You wisely took a powder (as you always should) because you just have an undefendable politics-as-fashion view and are clueLESS on all factual matters.

nice cut and paste too bad you never understood the body of work

Left wing academia has been quashing debate on many subjects...
and accompanied by their shout-em-down progeny.
I was particularly incensed by what happened to Ayaan Hirsi Ali at Brandeis.
(slightly longer excerpt than usual due to WSJ being subscription)

Opponents of free speech have chalked up many campus victories lately as ideological conformity marches on.
RUTH R. WISSE
Wall Street Journal
May 11, 2014
Ruth Wisse: The Closing of the Collegiate Mind - WSJ.com

not sure what you mean by chalked up victories. almost every court in america has ruled that these free speach zones are unconstitutional and in some trials the school has had to pay the students that sued.

if anything the anti-free speach crowd is losing all over the place.

nice cut and paste too bad you never understood the body of work
It was well beyond a cut and paste.
I prefaced with a brief history to show the Crucial Context of the verses. (Muhammed's battles/travel, victory, and 'abrogation') Something 99% here (and you) certainly Don't know. Only then can one understand the body of the work.
You gratuitously/noxiously last-word this string with Zero content; as always.

Last edited:

That's THE point.

You are still wrong........missed the point of what I said and quote mined.......it must really suck to have to pretend you win a debate from ignorance.

All the nonsense about liberals crushing conservative ideas out of higher education is just a conspiracy theory and needs to be corrected by actual facts.

Did you see the Smith College petition demanding that the invitation to Christine Lagarde, head of the IMF, to be Smith's 2014 Commencement Speaker be withdrawn? Here's an excerpt:

The IMF has been a primary culprit in the failed developmental policies implanted in some of the world’s poorest countries. This has led directly to the strengthening of imperialist :shock: and patriarchal systems that oppress and abuse women worldwide.

Petition Reconsider the Smith College 2014 Commencement Speaker

Imperialist? Really? Other than from the lips of left-wing crackpots and fellow travelers like Noam Chomsky, I hadn't heard that word since Yuri Andropov was Secretary General of the Communist Party of the USSR. Next thing you know these kids will be sporting Che berets, at least until they decide to go establishment and become investment bankers or run for POTUS. The protest has been described as a statement of "only" 500 students, but I think in a college with a student body of 2,600 that's significant. So what I want to know is where are they getting this crap from if not from Smith faculty? They certainly aren't getting it from Fox News.

Did you see the Smith College petition demanding that the invitation to Christine Lagarde, head of the IMF, to be Smith's 2014 Commencement Speaker be withdrawn? Here's an excerpt:

Imperialist? Really? Other than from the lips of left-wing crackpots and fellow travelers like Noam Chomsky, I hadn't heard that word since Yuri Andropov was Secretary General of the Communist Party of the USSR. Next thing you know these kids will be sporting Che berets, at least until they decide to go establishment and become investment bankers or run for POTUS. The protest has been described as a statement of "only" 500 students, but I think in a college with a student body of 2,600 that's significant. So what I want to know is where are they getting this crap from if not from Smith faculty? They certainly aren't getting it from Fox News.

And these students have clearly heard these conservative ideas and know enough about them to criticize them. That's where this whole conservative persecution complex falls apart. No one is keeping ideas from being considered. They're just rejecting the bad ideas. Sucks for you that the American political right is composed almost entirely of bad ideas, I guess.

And these students have clearly heard these conservative ideas and know enough about them to criticize them. That's where this whole conservative persecution complex falls apart. No one is keeping ideas from being considered. They're just rejecting the bad ideas. Sucks for you that the American political right is composed almost entirely of bad ideas, I guess.

Well, before they put their imprimatur on a word like "imperialist," these rich brats need to get up to speed on the history of the word by studying the people who used it to describe current (at the time) Western governments but who collectively killed more people on this planet than all of the "imperialists" in history.

Back
Top Bottom