• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Clinton Legacy

Mr. D said:
(1.) The first attack on the Twin Towers (WTC) in 1993 was only 38 days after Clinton took office. Now remember, the terrorists that did that were quickly caught and are in prison today. (2.) A plot was thwarted to kill the Pope. (3.) A plot was thwarted to blow up 12 U.S. airliners. 4.) A plot was thwarted to attack the FBI building. (5.) A plot was thwarted to attack the Israeli Embassy in D.C.. (6.) A plot was thwarted to attack the L.A. airport. (7.) A plot was thwarted to attack the Boston airport. (8.) A plot was thwarted to attack the Lincoln and Holland tunnels. (9.) A plot was thwarted to attack the George Washington Bridge. (10.) A plot was thwarted to truck bomb he U.S. Embassy in Tirana, Albania

Stinger said:
That's a lot of "twarting" isn't it. Seems the terrorist were quite active in trying to hit us, how about the attacks we didn't "twart" because the terrorist were still operational?
Sting, the larger issue is not what was thrarted but what did Clinton do to stop us from HAVING to thwart...

If someone swings at you 65 times, it's not good enough to say you successfully ducked 65 times...

At some point, you have to to stop that someone from swinging at you AT ALL...Grab their arms...subdue them..."He Whom Shall Not Be Blamed" would rather not get his shiny polls dirty, so he did nothing...

Now those same people swinging(that were "thwarted" so much) gained the advantage by being allowed to keep swinging...The only way to stop from being hit is to knock your opponent out...This was not done...

Now the opponent increased in strength so much so that the next President has to deal with the previous one's lack of ability to deliver the knockout punch...

At a time when it would've been so much easier to do...

cnredd said:
At a time when it would've been so much easier to do...

Yeah, Reagan really dropped the ball.

Iriemon said:
Yeah, Reagan really dropped the ball.
I have previously blamed all Presidents going back to Carter...

If this were "The Last Five Presidents' Legacy" thread, I migh have mentioned it...

But if you look at the title, you'll notice why I'm narrowing it down...

Ivan The Terrible said:
Iriemon,

Anything to say to Stinger?

Sorry, I get a little bored when things devolve into an opinionated ******* match about how bad or good one thing is versus another. Is there a particular issue or post you are referring to?

Iriemon,

Stinger said:
I responded with the facts and your retort was that I was obessed wiht Clinton for responding to YOUR post about Clinton in a thread ABOUT CLinton. In fact you seem more obsessed by a factor of 8 to 5. You failed to refute anything I said and in fact got severals things flat out wrong. And then when caught had to engage in name-calling. Suggest you learn the facts about the issue before commenting on them.

You asked he answered and then you went into hiding. I simply wanted to know if you concede the debate or not.

Ivan The Terrible said:
Iriemon,

Stinger said:

You asked he answered and then you went into hiding. I simply wanted to know if you concede the debate or not.

The debate on what? His opinion about Clinton's affair? His opinion is that it was the greatest crises in American government since the civil war. My opinion was that it was a fairly minor thing in the scheme of what is important to the country that the Republicans used for political advantage. We have a difference in opinion. What more is there to say?

Iriemon,

The debate on what? His opinion about Clinton's affair? His opinion is that it was the greatest crises in American government since the civil war. My opinion was that it was a fairly minor thing in the scheme of what is important to the country that the Republicans used for political advantage. We have a difference in opinion. What more is there to say?

I see no statement to that effect.

Which in itself was lie, he submitted Lewinsky's affidavit as truthful when he knew it was not, that alone was perjury and obstruction of justice. Judge Wright's order that he give truthful testimony to ANY sexual contact was perfectly clear and his excuse was summarily rejected by her in her contempt of court ruling.

The big deal was that he broke the law. Do you deny this? Bold added by Your Master.

Ivan The Terrible said:
Iriemon,

I see no statement to that effect.

Apologies for the hyperbole.

The big deal was that he broke the law. Do you deny this? Bold added by Your Master.

Your master? Megalomaniac complex there?

Do I deny he broke the law or do I deny it is a big deal? As to the former, he was not convicted, and I did not study the evidence enough as to Lewinsky's affidavit to form a conclusion. His statement "they did not have "sexual relations" as he understood that term to be used by the Jones lawyers" may have been non-responsive, but is not false if he did understand the term "sexual relations" to mean sexual intercourse. You may have a different opinion, but he was testifying based on his understanding.

As far as it being a big deal, I'm not sure why the president's affair was anybody's business but his, his families, and hers. I'm not sure why he was asked questions about Lewinsky in the grand jury, wasn't that a matter involving Paula Jones?

Whatever. The guy had an affair, and like every other person in the world who had an affair, he tried to hide it from his wife (can you blame him?). Was it the best example of upright character? No, but on the other hand, IMO it is not at the top of the list of things I think are more important. Intellegence, knowledge of facts, economics and history, statemanship skills, political skills, speaking skills, dipolmatic skills and ability to run things competently are more important attributes to me.

Lying is bad, but how bad it is depends upon what you are lying about. Fibbing about an affair is not up there in the worst lies book for me. It would certainly be much worse IMO, for example, to lie about the reasons for taking the country to war.

cnredd said:
Sting, the larger issue is not what was thrarted but what did Clinton do to stop us from HAVING to thwart...

I agree and that was my point, and you can't "twart" everything, at some point they will succeed, and at what cost.

Iriemon said:
Sorry, I get a little bored when things devolve into an opinionated ******* match about how bad or good one thing is versus another. Is there a particular issue or post you are referring to?

Well this is a forum about political opionion but I do use facts to back up my opinion, facts you are free to try and refute.

Iriemon said:
The debate on what? His opinion about Clinton's affair? His opinion is that it was the greatest crises in American government since the civil war.

Hmmmmm, resorting to baseless lies is a sure sign one has lost the arguement.

My opinion was that it was a fairly minor thing in the scheme of what is important to the country that the Republicans used for political advantage. We have a difference in opinion. What more is there to say?

Then debate it but do it with the facts. I have pointed out how this most certainly WASN't a minor thing but telling you what was actually involved. You have since been very silent.

Stinger said:
Hmmmmm, resorting to baseless lies is a sure sign one has lost the arguement.

My great apologies. I agree this was not a major event -- just overblown by Republicans desparate to discredit a popular Democratic president.

Then debate it but do it with the facts. I have pointed out how this most certainly WASN't a minor thing but telling you what was actually involved. You have since been very silent.

I have pointed out how it WAS a minor thing by pointing out what what was involved and what was not.

You want to tell us your opinion again so you can feel like you have "won"?

The point was to challenge the far right's myth that Clinton did nothing to combat terrorism. Was it enough? Obviously not! Has Bush stopped terrorism? Obviously not!

Maybe it's time for ridiculous myths about Clinton to die a silly death. He got caught in a well designed trap with Monica because of a personality weakness, but he knew more about the world and being a president than Bush could even comtemplate!

I spent a few months from one end of Europe to the other. Americans are loved as a people and Clinton is tremendously respected, while Bush is considered an ignorant and dangerous cowboy fronting for the corporations and Neocons.

Iriemon said:
Do I deny he broke the law or do I deny it is a big deal? As to the former, he was not convicted,

ROFL what a dodge. The fact is he was "convicted" when he was held in contempt of court. He later plea bargined. The question however was did he break the law NOT whether he was "convicted". If you don't believe he broke the law then explain the premise of that conclusion.

and I did not study the evidence enough as to Lewinsky's affidavit to form a conclusion.

Conclusion as to what? It is irrefuteable that he affidavit was false, was perjurious. Clinton knew that when he submitted it. By doing so he set her up for a term in a federal prison. And you say he's a nice guy.

His statement "they did not have "sexual relations" as he understood that term to be used by the Jones lawyers" may have been non-responsive, but is not false if he did understand the term "sexual relations" to mean sexual intercourse.

I have totally debunked that positionm, including citing Judge Wrights ruling, You have offered NOTHING in rebuttle. It is a phoney claim. In order for him to believe that he would have to believe that while she had a sexual realtion with him he did not have one with her. That is patently absurd. You are not allowed to created your own definitions in a courtroom. Besides he testified they were never alone and Judge Wright specifically sited that as a false statement under oath, you can't get around that one even with tortured definitions.

You may have a different opinion, but he was testifying based on his understanding.

He was testifying in an attempt to lie under oath.

As far as it being a big deal, I'm not sure why the president's affair was anybody's business but his, his families, and hers.

I've already explained that to you in detail, why do you pretend otherwise.

I'm not sure why he was asked questions about Lewinsky in the grand jury, wasn't that a matter involving Paula Jones?

You really are ignorant of the matter aren't you yet you make claims about my statements as if you do know about it. The Grand Jury was about his perjury and obstruction of justice by lying about his affair with a subordinate employee and submitting a false affidavit.

Whatever. The guy had an affair, and like every other person in the world who had an affair, he tried to hide it from his wife (can you blame him?).

Well if you or I are facing a federal civil rights lawsuit we don't have that luxury do we. The law REQUIRES you to give such testimony, a law which Clinton signed addiontional statutes to to require you or me to have to give truthful testimony to, and he choose to break that law.

IMO it is not at the top of the list of things I think are more important.Intellegence, knowledge of facts, economics and history, statemanship skills, political skills, speaking skills, dipolmatic skills and ability to run things competently are more important attributes to me.

How about upholding your oath of office and obeying the law like you and I are required to.

Lying is bad, but how bad it is depends upon what you are lying about. Fibbing about an affair is not up there in the worst lies book for me. It would certainly be much worse IMO, for example, to lie about the reasons for taking the country to war.

Well if you ever lie about an affair before a judge you just try and make that arguement as the judge sentences you to prison. But what you are actually saying is that women who are sexually harassed in the workplace do not have a right to a fair trial, that the employers who harass them have the right to lie under oath to get out of it. And if we start allowing people to lie in court because they might be embarrassed then we may as well shut down the courts.

That's the ground you have choosen to defend.

Stinger said:
ROFL what a dodge. The fact is he was "convicted" when he was held in contempt of court. He later plea bargined. The question however was did he break the law NOT whether he was "convicted". If you don't believe he broke the law then explain the premise of that conclusion.

Conclusion as to what? It is irrefuteable that he affidavit was false, was perjurious. Clinton knew that when he submitted it. By doing so he set her up for a term in a federal prison. And you say he's a nice guy.

I have totally debunked that positionm, including citing Judge Wrights ruling, You have offered NOTHING in rebuttle. It is a phoney claim. In order for him to believe that he would have to believe that while she had a sexual realtion with him he did not have one with her. That is patently absurd. You are not allowed to created your own definitions in a courtroom. Besides he testified they were never alone and Judge Wright specifically sited that as a false statement under oath, you can't get around that one even with tortured definitions.

He was testifying in an attempt to lie under oath.

I've already explained that to you in detail, why do you pretend otherwise.

You really are ignorant of the matter aren't you yet you make claims about my statements as if you do know about it. The Grand Jury was about his perjury and obstruction of justice by lying about his affair with a subordinate employee and submitting a false affidavit.

Well if you or I are facing a federal civil rights lawsuit we don't have that luxury do we. The law REQUIRES you to give such testimony, a law which Clinton signed addiontional statutes to to require you or me to have to give truthful testimony to, and he choose to break that law.

How about upholding your oath of office and obeying the law like you and I are required to.

Well if you ever lie about an affair before a judge you just try and make that arguement as the judge sentences you to prison. But what you are actually saying is that women who are sexually harassed in the workplace do not have a right to a fair trial, that the employers who harass them have the right to lie under oath to get out of it. And if we start allowing people to lie in court because they might be embarrassed then we may as well shut down the courts.

That's the ground you have choosen to defend.

And your point is?

Stinger, the most important thing I have discovered when debating Democrats/Liberals is how quickly they are to say how breaking laws is no big thing, specifically when it involves one of their own number. Most never even get to this stage, however, as their fefusal to acknowledge that Clinton committed two felonies, one for perjury and the other for witness tampering. Almost NO Democrat will look further, at the treason Clinton committed by selling the Chinese missile technology, or any of the other Clinton Scandals.

The Democratic Party extremists are always so rweady and willing to excuse criminal and treasonous behavior; howver, as we have seen with Feingold the last several days when he introduced legislation calling for Bush to be Censured for using a LEGAL program, Republicans are offered no such quarter! Pelosi even said it herself, caught in her own ambush on ethics violations for taking trips paid for by lobbyists, "You have to trea Democrats differently that Republicans because THEY are the criminals."

The worst are the delusional Clinton-apologists like Mr. D:
He got caught in a well designed trap....

Please! The man is a pathelogical lying sexual predator who sexually harrassed women throughout his public office, dating back to his time as Governor! The Lewinski affair wasn't even the one that sunk him - it was the sexuall harrassment case from years earlier that he found himself on the stand for, lying under oath, witness tampering, and breaking his oath of office....none of which, as you can see by the posts in his defense, are of any consequence! Breaking laws are erfectly fine...for Democrats, which is EXACTLY what guys like D and Iriemon and every other Clinton/Dem-apologist has been saying for years now! THAT is the truly scary part!

easyt65 said:
Stinger, the most important thing I have discovered when debating Democrats/Liberals is how quickly they are to say how breaking laws is no big thing, specifically when it involves one of their own number. Most never even get to this stage, however, as their fefusal to acknowledge that Clinton committed two felonies, one for perjury and the other for witness tampering. ...

Well, at least we got you off that saying "he was convicted" thing. I was begging to think it was pathological.

Willoughby said:
so there is the answer to why lots of people around the world think that americans are self-focused

Correct. Except for the UK, the U.S. has had to do the heavy lifting in the war against the Iraqi transnational imperialists, the afghan theocrats, the international islamofascists, before that the chinese/north vietnamese in vietnam, before that the cold war with the soviets, before that the north koreans, chinese, and russians in the korean war, and before that the war in the pacific against the japanese. We're used to taking on the tyrants of the world, while euros sit in their cafe, sip their demi-tasse, munch their croissant, and criticize from the sidelines. When you almost always fight alone, you have to be very self-focussed.

easyt65 said:
The worst are the delusional Clinton-apologists like Mr. D:
He got caught in a well designed trap....
Why would I say, He got caught in a well designed trap?

Let's look at the background leading up to the trap! He was the first president to have millions of dollars spent on an INQUISITION launched at him by far right political opponents that did not have the purpose of investigating a specific charge, but rather continuing with out end "with no success" as a rambling politically driven witch hunt from unproven charge to charge to charge until the following occurred:

(1.) A young groupie type woman with questionable motives approached the president, (2.) a sexual affair occurred, (3.) the young woman carefully protected and saved DNA evidence so the affair could not be denied, (4.) the young woman reported the affair to a well know Republican operative, (5.) the Republican operative reported the affair to Ken Lay's ongoing INQUISITION finally providing the long sought after information necessary to cripple the presidency, (6.) the DNA evidence was withheld until the president lied about the affair, then it was made known trapping him in a lie,(7.) the young woman becomes famous, goes on TV talk shows, etc. and makes a fortune! JUST A CONVENIENT COINCIDENCE FOR HIS OPPONENTS? WHAT A JOKE!

Meanwhile members of the opposition party in congress are found to have had affairs and fathered illegitimate children, even in one case with a black servant girl, but little is made of it! The double standard continues!

There was and is today a right wing, well funded machine that supported the INQUISTION of Clinton and still supports Karl Rove's "dirty tricks" today! It was used even in smearing a Republican war hero like Senator John McCain! All coincidence! Right! Denial ain't just a river in Egypt!

Last edited:
Mr. D said:
Why would I say, He got caught in a well designed trap?

Let's look at the background leading up to the trap! He was the first president to have millions of dollars spent on an INQUISITION launched at him by far right political opponents that did not have the purpose of investigating a specific charge, but rather continuing with out end "with no success" as a rambling politically driven witch hunt from unproven charge to charge to charge until the following occurred
Looks like we revise history to what we feel...

Take it up with Rutgers...

On January 15, Starr obtained approval from Attorney General Janet Reno, who in turn sought and received an order from the United States Court of Appeals, to expand the scope of the Whitewater probe into the new allegations. On the following day, a meeting between Ms. Lewinsky and Ms. Tripp at a hotel was secretly recorded pursuant to a court order, with federal agents then confronting Ms. Lewinsky at the end of the meeting with charges of her perjury and demanding that she cooperate in providing evidence against the President. Ms. Lewinsky initially declined to cooperate, and told the FBI and other investigators that much of what she had told Ms. Tripp was not true.
Got that?...Unless you wanna say the "Vast Right-wing Conspiracy" somehow got to Reno, your allegations fall flat...

Iriemon said:
I am not. I was never quite as obsessed about it as you Puritans.

So his big lie about his extramarital affair was that he said "they did not have "sexual relations" as he understood that term to be used by the Jones lawyers."

Whoop de doo.

Whoop de doo, nothing. William Jefferson Clinton raised his right hand and vowed to "tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth". Regardless of WHAT he needed to tell the truth about, he chose to lie, and in front of a grand jury, or any jury, a lie is STILL perjury.

Iriemon said:
Well, at least we got you off that saying "he was convicted" thing. I was begging to think it was pathological.

He was convicted, of perjury and obstruction of justice. Arkansas just gave him back is license to practice law, or did that story conveniently slip past you?

debate_junkie said:
Whoop de doo, nothing. William Jefferson Clinton raised his right hand and vowed to "tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth". Regardless of WHAT he needed to tell the truth about, he chose to lie, and in front of a grand jury, or any jury, a lie is STILL perjury.

Forget it, it's like I said, the Democratic Party Die hards make every excuse in the book why it is OK for Democrats to break the law! Whoop-de-doo, so what a Dem President acted above the law in committing felonies of perjury and witness tampering, an act of breaking his oath of office to defend the Constitution! Defending the Constitutionisn't REALLY that big of a deal, is it?!! (Of course if defending someone's constitutional rights is so important, as per the Democrat's claim against Bush's legal wire tapping program, then why was it OK for Clinton to attempt to strip an American citizen of HER Constitutional rights? I would ask 'who gets to decide when it is OK to do so and when it is not', but I already know the answer to that - DEMOCRATS!)

So what if a President engages in a little Sexual Harrassment of women - BIG DEAL! Who cares if he makes a little money by selling the Chinese military the missing missile technology piece they have been missing necessary to strike the United Staes with its nukes?! Whoop-de-doo!

Clinton was a dog...plain and simple, didnt much care for him then, dont much care for him now. But, in the grand scheme of things I gotta say....its likely he will seem a saint when compared to Bush after everything comes out. Its very easy to beat up Clinton, partly because he is out of office and thus cant control information flow anymore. It will be very bad for Bush when he loses control of what is released under confidentiality laws in several years.

Back
Top Bottom