• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Christian Domestic Discipline movement

tererun

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Fopr those who do not want to read the URL below Christian Domestic Discipline, or CDD, is a practice where a wife and husband agree to allow the husband to discipline the wife if she violates certain rules. They seem to define the rules as the 4 Ds; Disobedience, Disrespect, Dishonesty, or Dangerous. The site focuses on the physical discipline of spanking in a non-sexual manner. They do also suggest non-violent methods like writing bible verses for couples who chose a non-physical path. When i started reading about this i was pretty much neutral on this whole idea as long as the wife was willing to deal with it at the time. It doesn't seem terribly harmless as long as the wife has a choice to revoke consent as any other free person would. If she wants to keep on getting spanked to make her marriage better that is her business.

Home

now here is the part where the speak of how consent is given in the relationship.

Nonconsensual Consent

If you do not want to read this part basically is says that the wife gives consent when she is calm and reasonable and not in the position to be disciplined and that consent is not ever revoked. Reading through this site you will see great encouragement for the man to ignore his wife's revocation of consent because no means yes and she really wants to be punished in her heart and the man should decide what is best for her without her input because that is his job. Of course this does not go along with the law, which may even ban consensual discipline of a physical nature. I am really talking the physical here as if she is writing bible verses and she does it then that is her action with her body so it remains her submission. Marriage does not convey a legal right to abuse a spouse anymore, and this has a very large potential to get someone arrested for going to far. It actually seems to encourage the breaking of the law, and has no mention of any potential legal ramifications for physical discipline after consent is revoked.

Then there becomes another legal issue. by enshrining discipline through religion does it become legal to circumvent the law based on the separation of church and state and the idea the state cannot intervene in religious matters. Of course, that is a weak argument I would never rely on in court as laws certainly do restrict religious condoned activities which cause harm to other creatures. You cannot use religion to condone the keeping of slaves or multiple wives, though your religion may specifically permit such activities under it's dogma. Also, the site does note that the bible neither endorses or condemns disciplining a wife. Still it could be very easily claimed this is a religious practice as many sects of christianity add their own ideas into their practices.

So what do you think legally? This is the law and order group after all. Is this encouragement of a felony? Is this practice legal once consent is revoked or even with consent for that matter? Does the government have business stepping in here for physical and perhaps mental abuse under domestic violence laws, or does the separation of church and state prevent it?

I would say it's legal up to the point where she revokes her consent and he continues. An individual's free will can not be revoked by the spouse. As soon as she stops wanting to play along, it's over.

Fopr those who do not want to read the URL below Christian Domestic Discipline, or CDD, is a practice where a wife and husband agree to allow the husband to discipline the wife if she violates certain rules. They seem to define the rules as the 4 Ds; Disobedience, Disrespect, Dishonesty, or Dangerous. The site focuses on the physical discipline of spanking in a non-sexual manner. They do also suggest non-violent methods like writing bible verses for couples who chose a non-physical path. When i started reading about this i was pretty much neutral on this whole idea as long as the wife was willing to deal with it at the time. It doesn't seem terribly harmless as long as the wife has a choice to revoke consent as any other free person would. If she wants to keep on getting spanked to make her marriage better that is her business.

Home

now here is the part where the speak of how consent is given in the relationship.

Nonconsensual Consent

If you do not want to read this part basically is says that the wife gives consent when she is calm and reasonable and not in the position to be disciplined and that consent is not ever revoked. Reading through this site you will see great encouragement for the man to ignore his wife's revocation of consent because no means yes and she really wants to be punished in her heart and the man should decide what is best for her without her input because that is his job. Of course this does not go along with the law, which may even ban consensual discipline of a physical nature. I am really talking the physical here as if she is writing bible verses and she does it then that is her action with her body so it remains her submission. Marriage does not convey a legal right to abuse a spouse anymore, and this has a very large potential to get someone arrested for going to far. It actually seems to encourage the breaking of the law, and has no mention of any potential legal ramifications for physical discipline after consent is revoked.

Then there becomes another legal issue. by enshrining discipline through religion does it become legal to circumvent the law based on the separation of church and state and the idea the state cannot intervene in religious matters. Of course, that is a weak argument I would never rely on in court as laws certainly do restrict religious condoned activities which cause harm to other creatures. You cannot use religion to condone the keeping of slaves or multiple wives, though your religion may specifically permit such activities under it's dogma. Also, the site does note that the bible neither endorses or condemns disciplining a wife. Still it could be very easily claimed this is a religious practice as many sects of christianity add their own ideas into their practices.

So what do you think legally? This is the law and order group after all. Is this encouragement of a felony? Is this practice legal once consent is revoked or even with consent for that matter? Does the government have business stepping in here for physical and perhaps mental abuse under domestic violence laws, or does the separation of church and state prevent it?

I don't really care how other people conduct their marriages. If a woman wants to agree to this, that's her business. But I think anyone who buys into the idea of 'nonconsensual consent' and thinks that makes it okay for him to hit his wife when she says no is begging for legal trouble.

Personally, it seems like domestic violence to me, but as long as the wife is okay with it, it's not my business.

I would say it's legal up to the point where she revokes her consent and he continues. An individual's free will can not be revoked by the spouse. As soon as she stops wanting to play along, it's over.

Or it's rape.

...They should just call it BDSM and have it done with.

The site is written in British English, and may not be an American site at all. If so, American common law may not apply.

In any case, this is hardly a mainstream practice so its importance as a topic is dubious.

Back
Top Bottom