• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The case for polygamy (Why shouldn’t marriage equality apply to them, too?)

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
By Matt Lewis
06/27/2013

Discussing the Supreme Court’s decision on gay marriage recently, Sen. Rand Paul joked about bestiality. This was unwise. If Paul wanted to make the slippery slope argument, the case for polygamy is much more compelling — and realistic.

This is not some straw man argument. As BuzzFeed’s McKay Coppins pointed out, polygamists are, in fact, celebrating the court’s decision. And they have every reason to do so. After all, why shouldn’t marriage equality apply to them, too?

The arguments are essentially the same. For example, Sen. Al Franken recently issued a statement saying, “Our country is starting to understand that it’s not about what a family looks like: it’s about their love and commitment to one another.” Polygamists couldn’t agree more.

I mean, who are we to say that two or three or even four consenting adults — who want to make a lifelong commitment to love one another — shouldn’t be allowed to do so?

What’s magical about the number two?

{snip}
There are practical reasons, too. It’s harder and harder these days to make ends meet. As a man, I can only imagine how much more efficient it would be to have one wife in the workforce and another wife at home with the kids.....

[Excerpt]

Read more:
The case for polygamy | The Daily Caller

Then there are those who love their pets so much they'd prefer to married them. Why should homosexuals only have the rights to the SCOTUS decision?

In my opinion, the major issue with polygamy is an administrative one. Do you have a limit to the amount of people involved, what about legal forms, divorce, etc. personally, I don't have a problem with the actual polygamy I jut thing administratively it would be a nightmare.

In my opinion, the major issue with polygamy is an administrative one. Do you have a limit to the amount of people involved, what about legal forms, divorce, etc. personally, I don't have a problem with the actual polygamy I jut thing administratively it would be a nightmare.

Let's put it this way. The Obama Progressive SCOTUS has opened this can of worms.
Don't forget there is a large contingent of Muslims within America along with LDS groups who also believe in polygamy. Then there are those who are married to heterosexuals that also have same sex partners they wish to wed while keeping their original partners. What's to stop such unions?

Polygamists hope Supreme Court rulings will pave way to decriminalization(Marrying pigs comes next)​

By Jessica Chasmar
6/27/13

Polygamists nationwide are cheering the Supreme Court’s rulings on Wednesday, which paved the way for gay marriage in California and federal recognition for married same-sex couples.

“I was very glad,” polygamist Anne Wilde told Buzzfeed on Wednesday. “The nuclear family, with a dad and a mom and two or three kids, is not the majority anymore. Now it’s grandparents taking care of kids, single parents, gay parents. I think people are more and more understanding that as consenting adults, we should be able to raise a family however we choose.”

Joe Darger, a Utah-based polygamist who has three wives, told Buzzfeed that the court “has taken a step in correcting some inequality, and that’s certainly something that’s going to trickle down and impact us.”

Anita Wagner Illig, head of the group Practical Polyamory, told U.S. News & World Report that the Supreme Court had set a welcome precedent.

“We polyamorists are grateful to our brothers and sisters for blazing the marriage equality trail,” she said. “I would absolutely want to seek multi-partner marriage — it would eliminate a common challenge polyamorists face when two [people] are legally married and others in their group relationships aren’t part of that marriage.”

(Excerpt)

Read more:
Polygamists hope Supreme Court rulings on gays will pave way to decriminalization - Washington Times

Hey how many women is a man allowed to marry now. Can George marry Sally and still marry Jim, or his pet ewe?

Last edited:
There is no reason (religious or secular) to keep polygamy illegal.

To assume inter-species marriage would come next ignores the fact that animals cannot give consent to a contract.

Back
Top Bottom