• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

the capitals of the 9 states of Austria - which names do you know well - whether you have been there or not?

I know well ....

• Eisenstadt - Burgenland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Klagenfurt - Carinthia (Kärnten)

• Sankt Pölten - Lower Austria (Nieder-Österreich)

• Salzburg - Salzburg

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Graz - Styria (Steiermark)

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Innsbruck - Tyrol (Tirol)

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Linz - Upper Austria (Ober-Österreich)

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Vienna - Vienna (Wien)

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Bregenz - Vorarlberg

• Bozen/Bolzano - South Tyrol ( Süd-Tirol or Alto Adige)

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
the capitals of the 9 states of Austria - which names do you know well - whether you have been there or not?

And I am adding a 10th region, that should also be a Bundesland of Austria :)

I know well:

Salzburg
Innsbruck
Vienna
Bregenz
Bozen (and also Brixen and Meran in Süd-Tirol) :)

I have been to Innsbruck and Vienna. I want to visit Salzburg but haven't yet. I have heard of Linz but know nothing about it.

Innsbruck, ich muss dich lassen - Heinrich Isaac​

This song I knew long before I ever came to Innsbruck :)

I have been to Innsbruck and Vienna. I want to visit Salzburg but haven't yet. I have heard of Linz but know nothing about it.
I have been to Innsbruck and Vienna - but I have by-passed Linz on the motorway.
I know the very tasty Linzer Torte, though. :)

This is the Linzer Torte or Linzertorte:

The Linzer torte is a traditional Austrian pastry, a form of shortbread topped with fruit preserves and sliced nuts with a lattice design on top.[1] It is named after the city of Linz, Austria.

Linzer torte is a very short, crumbly pastry made of flour, unsalted butter, egg yolks, lemon zest, cinnamon and lemon juice, and ground nuts, usually hazelnuts, but even walnuts or almonds are used, covered with a filling of redcurrant, raspberry, or apricot preserves. Unlike most tortes, it is typically single layered like a pie or tart. It is covered by a lattice of thin dough strips placed atop the fruit. The pastry is brushed with lightly beaten egg whites, baked, and garnished with nuts.

Linzer torte is a holiday treat in the Austrian, Czech, Swiss, German, and Tirolean traditions, often eaten at Christmas. Some North American bakeries offer Linzer torte as small tarts or as cookies.

Here is "Innsbruck, ich muss dich lassen ...." in English:

Innsbruck, I must leave you;
I will go my way
to foreign land(s).
My joy has been taken away from me,
that I cannot achieve
while being abroad.

I must now bear great sorrow
that I can only share
with my dearest lover.
Oh love, hold poor me
(and) in your heart compassion
that I must be away.

My consolation: above all other women,
I will forever be yours,
always faithful, in true honor.
And now, may God protect you,
keep you in perfect virtue,
until I shall return.

Innsbruck, ich muss dich lassen​

The King's Singers

3 out of 3 now say: Salzburg, Innsbruck, Vienna :)

Salzburg off the beaten path | DW English​

I studied for a year in Vienna when I was a junior in college. I know pretty much every square inch of that beautiful country.

Now:

3 x Vienna
0 x Eisenstadt

Nobody ever was in that region?

• Bozen/Bolzano - South Tyrol ( Süd-Tirol or Alto Adige)​

Bolzano is in Italy — so no one confuses Sud Tirol as being part of Austria.
Think of it as Alto Adige.

And I am adding a 10th region, that should also be a Bundesland of Austria :)
I play EU4, alot. It covers the period from 1444 to 1821. The Holy Roman Empire is a big part of the game, so I am pretty familiar with all of those, by one name or another. I do think of Vienna as Wien tho.

HRE.jpg

I play EU4, alot. It covers the period from 1444 to 1821. The Holy Roman Empire is a big part of the game, so I am pretty familiar with all of those, by one name or another. I do think of Vienna as Wien tho.

View attachment 67435085
Great map! :)

And Austria-Hungary was a world power once upon a time. Those were the days. :)

Back
Top Bottom