• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Bush Smear Attack on Louisiana Governor

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
And that is exactly what it is. Bush and Company claim that the Federal government could not step in unless asked by the state of Louisiana to do so, then proceed to crucify the governor, saying she did nothing, and laid much of the blame on her.

Fact is, Governor Landrieux requested Federal help on August 28, and asked on that day that Louisiana be declared a disaster area. The requested help did not come. Another day, another Bush lie, and more of the same sleaze that made this administration famous.

Document is here, in pdf format.

Fact is, Governor Landrieux requested Federal help on August 28

The fact is the governor is Blanco not Landreaux. If you lived here you would know they couldnt lead a blind man out of a lighted box.

Blanco should be thrown out of office for gross malfeasance. Her dithering surely cost hundreds, if not thousands of lives lost needlessly. The mayor was in over his head and Bush didn't lead properly, but the bulk of the blame truly belongs with Blanco.

Missouri Mule said:
Blanco should be thrown out of office for gross malfeasance. Her dithering surely cost hundreds, if not thousands of lives lost needlessly. The mayor was in over his head and Bush didn't lead properly, but the bulk of the blame truly belongs with Blanco.

I disagree slightly....

If someone is going to place blame, it should work the "closest" outward...The mayor should take the most criticism(buses for one), followed by the Gov., then the Federal organization responsible(in this case, FEMA), followed by the President...

If the Mayor did his job properly, the Governor wouldn't of had to lift a finger...If the mayor was "in over his head" like you say, it's HIS responsibility to call on the Governor for assistance...Let me know when that happens...Today, he declared a "state of emergency" for the city...only 10 days after the fact...That's all you need to know...

This goes back to the Constitutional powers...This is the United STATES...

It is NOT the job of the Federal Government to delve into state's issues...The Feds can NOT barge in and take over their responsibility...This is more of a "city" issue than a "state" one...and it's more of a "state" issue than a "Federal" one...

Last edited:
The fact is Bush asked the governor to declare new orleans a disaster area 2 days before the hurricane hit. But the governor refused. Why? I dont know. Now the funny thing is people try to put this in a racial issue. Well isnt the majority of government leaders down there black? And isnt louisiana governed by democrats for the last 60 years? I think its suffice to say that the people who are the most racist are there own people since they left them out to dry(or get very wet in this case).

Someone just sent me a "Move-on" petition trying to pin all the blame on Bush and FEMA. I don't know what the facts are and have heard differing opinions. I believe that Brown ought to be bounced immediately for any number of reasons but the story doesn't begin or end with him. Let's get the facts.

I WANT impeachment proceedings to begin against Bush. I want to know precisely what he said to Blanco and what her response was. Maybe there are some tapes or transcripts. Let's hear them. Let the chips fall where they may. If anyone has an impeachment petition, please PM and I'll sign on the dotted line.

Now is the time to assign blame. The "calvary" has indeed arrived. Now let's get the facts. I have no horse in this race. Impeach away.

SKILMATIC said:
The fact is Bush asked the governor to declare new orleans a disaster area 2 days before the hurricane hit. But the governor refused. Why? I dont know. Now the funny thing is people try to put this in a racial issue. Well isnt the majority of government leaders down there black? And isnt louisiana governed by democrats for the last 60 years? I think its suffice to say that the people who are the most racist are there own people since they left them out to dry(or get very wet in this case).

I don't think that any reasonable person can claim this doesn't have a racial component. It is both a class and racial issue, regardless of whether or not we want to admit it or not. This is certainly one of the biggest messes and scandals in American history. Heads should roll and soon.

SKILMATIC said:

Louisiana is that it is not like other states. I lived for two years in the SW corner. Race relations ARE strained. There IS still a LOT of racism, from both sides. And, Democrats in Louisiana are not like they are in, for example, Pennsylvania (excepting New Orleans itself). Kathleen Blanco is a moderate Democrat, the only sort of Democrat electable there, and Louisiana is a very unique place.

I don't know enough about how the respective governments responded to this crisis, but it seems its severity took EVERYONE by surprise and no one seemed prepared to address what happened as quickly as the situation demanded. That said, it does seem that four days was about three days too much time to get a significant amount of supplies and manpower in there.

IMO, I think one of Louisiana's most obvious failings in this situation doesn't even involve the hurricane. It's how it has failed New Orleans for decades by not curbing the violence that goes on in some of its neighborhoods. Letting thugs and criminals take control of its streets. That I do feel has been enabled largely due to indifference because of race. Who hasn't been told not to leave certain streets when they visit New Orleans? It's like a tradition now - part of its folklore. So naturally when disaster strikes and society becomes disabled - its this same criminal element who will assume authority. That's the only obvious disgrace I see in this situation.

SKILMATIC said:

Yeah.....fact is that the hurricane was a perfect excuse for an anti-Bush feeding frenzy.....especially that whining blonde on CNN.

Here is an interview with Landrieu

Transcript: Louisiana Sens. on FOX
Sunday, September 11, 2005

The following is a transcribed excerpt of "FOX News Sunday," Sept. 11, 2005.

WALLACE: With the continuing human drama, we turn now to Louisiana's two Senators, Democrat Mary Landrieu and Republican David Vitter, who's been visiting with thousands of evacuees and joins us now from outside the Astrodome in Houston. And Senators, thank you both for being with us today.

WALLACE: I think it's fair to say that both of you have been very tough on the federal response in the first days after Katrina hit.

Senator Vitter, you gave FEMA an "F" and then, you have this to say — and let's put it up on the screen: The agency "has been completely dysfunctional, completely overwhelmed."

Senator Landrieu, speaking on the Senate floor on Thursday, you were even tougher. Let's look.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

LANDRIEU: And I intend to find out why the federal — particularly the response of FEMA — was so incompetent and insulting to the people of our states.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

WALLACE: Senator Landrieu, I want to ask you — and I'll ask you both, but let me start with you — about the local response.

Was it incompetent and insulting for Mayor Ray Nagin to order a mandatory evacuation, but then to leave buses — and we have a picture of them — hundreds of buses idle, so that they could be flooded, instead of using them to get people out.

LANDRIEU: Well, Chris, I was there, as you know, through the whole ordeal with state and local officials, and was right there with Louisiana Democrats and Republicans, city council members, police chiefs, mayors, the governors, and could watch what Haley Barbour was doing and Governor Riley in Alabama.

I am not going to level criticism at the local level. These people did...

WALLACE: But I'd like you to answer, if you could, this one specific question.

LANDRIEU: Well, I will. I will answer it. I am not going to level criticism at local and state officials. Mayor Nagin and most mayors in this country have a hard time getting their people to work on a sunny day, let alone getting them out of the city in front of a hurricane. And it's because this administration and administrations before them do not understand the difficulties that mayors — whether they are in Orlando, Miami, or New Orleans — face.

LANDRIEU: In other words, this administration did not believe in mass transit. They won't even get people to work on a sunny day, let alone getting them out...

WALLACE: But Senator, there were hundreds of buses sitting in that parking lot. Can I just ask the question?

LANDRIEU: You can, but let me finish, if I could, please.

WALLACE: Well, look in the picture here. There were hundreds of buses in parking lots. The city and the state.

LANDRIEU: That is underwater. Those...

WALLACE: It wasn't underwater before the...

LANDRIEU: Those buses were underwater. Those buses...

WALLACE: They weren't underwater on Saturday; they weren't underwater on Sunday.

LANDRIEU: We had two catastrophes. We had a hurricane and then we had a levee break. When the levee broke, not only did New Orleans go underwater, but St. Bernard when underwater and St. Tammany Parish went underwater.

WALLACE: But they weren't underwater on Sunday.

LANDRIEU: And Plaquemines went underwater. And because the mayor evacuated the city, we had the best evacuation between Haley Barbour and Kathleen Blanco of any evacuation I've seen. I'm 50 years old; I've never seen one any better.

WALLACE: But there were a hundred thousand people left in the city.

LANDRIEU: They did a hundred thousand people left in the city because this federal government won't support cities to evacuate people, whether it's from earthquakes, tornadoes, or hurricanes. And that's the truth.

And that will come out in the hearing.

WALLACE: Let me bring David Vitter in. Was it incompetent and...

WALLACE: If I might ask you another question, sir. Was it competent and insulting for the Louisiana Department of Homeland Security — I'm talking about the state, not the feds — to tell the Red Cross and the Salvation Army that they couldn't go into the city in the middle of the first week, when they said they were ready to go; they had the provisions to go; and it was the state that kept them out.

And so, I think we, in the hearings that will come — we need to ask a lot of pointed and tough questions to a lot of different people, certainly including the feds and certainly including FEMA, but including many, many others to get a true understanding of all that went wrong and what we need to do differently.

WALLACE: Senator Vitter, do you think it was — and I'll get you in this in a moment, Senator Landrieu — do you think it was incompetent and insulting for Governor Blanco not to bring in the federal guard — or, the National Guard, rather — into the city of New Orleans in force until Friday of that first week?

VITTER: Yes.

WALLACE: Senator Landrieu?

LANDRIEU: Can I...

WALLACE: Yes or no?

LANDRIEU: Well, let me add something about our Guard and Reserve: we have 3,000 Guards men coming back from Iraq after they've served, sometimes twice. Our General Landreneau (ph) has said that he's giving them a break.

Thank God we have such a good leader. They need a break. They need to get with their families — many of them, their homes are destroyed. I read in the paper this morning, alarmingly, that the Mississippi governor is not going to allow the Mississippi Guard, or whoever is making that decision. And I'll plead for the Mississippi, for the Alabama Guard, and for the Louisiana Guard: please give these guys a break. They're carrying the weight of the world, literally, ion their shoulders.

And we cannot continue to burden the Guard and Reserve. Now, some of them can volunteer; that's great. But we have to be very careful about putting that burden on them. And let me say one thing I do agree with David about — and we agree with many things; he and I have worked very closely together this week — everyone will be held accountable. The president himself will be held accountable. This administration; I will be held accountable; Senator Vitter will be held accountable; and all state and local officials.

Now is not the time for finger-pointing. Now is the time to rebuild.

So, I'm asking the White House to stop sending out press releases blaming local and state officials.

WALLACE: But, Senator — I'm sorry. This works better if I get to ask some questions here.

LANDRIEU: I know. That would be fine.

WALLACE: OK, thank you. But you're the one who's done the finger-pointing. You were the one who, on the Senate floor, talked about the federal response being incompetent and insulting to the people of Louisiana. You were the one — if I might — and, I want to ask you, also, because you've also pointed the finger at the Bush administration for failing to spend enough on flood control.

Here's what you said this week on the Senate floor. Let's take a look.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

LANDRIEU: They gambled that no one would notice if Louisiana's critical and vital role in our national economy was threatened. And Washington rolled the dice and Louisiana lost.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

WALLACE: But here is what the Washington Post found in an article this week, Senator. And let's put that up on the screen if we can: "The Bush administration's funding requests for the key New Orleans flood-control projects for the past five years were slightly higher than the Clinton Administration's for its past five years."

And, Senator, the article went on to say that Louisiana politicians, in too many cases, were involved in pork, rather than in trying to protect the city of New Orleans. And let's go back to the article. Let's put up another part of it: "For example, after a $194 million deepening project for the Port of Iberia flunked a Corps..." — that's an Army Corps of Engineer — "... cost-benefit analysis, Sen. Mary Landrieu tucked language into an emergency Iraq spending bill ordering the agency to redo its calculations."

So, question, Senator: Is it just the president who gambled and lost or, frankly, did a lot of Louisiana politicians, including you?

LANDRIEU: The president gambled and lost, and I'll tell you why, if you'll let me answer this question. Number one, it is true that the president gave slightly more than Bill Clinton.

Last edited:
danarhea said:
And that is exactly what it is. Bush and Company claim that the Federal government could not step in unless asked by the state of Louisiana to do so, then proceed to crucify the governor, saying she did nothing, and laid much of the blame on her.

Fact is, Governor Landrieux requested Federal help on August 28, and asked on that day that Louisiana be declared a disaster area. The requested help did not come. Another day, another Bush lie, and more of the same sleaze that made this administration famous.

You don't even know who the Governor of the state is.....How can we believe any point you make?

Re: Here is an interview with Landrieu

fyrefighter said:
Transcript: Louisiana Sens. on FOX
Sunday, September 11, 2005

The following is a transcribed excerpt of "FOX News Sunday," Sept. 11, 2005.

WALLACE: With the continuing human drama, we turn now to Louisiana's two Senators, Democrat Mary Landrieu and Republican David Vitter, who's been visiting with thousands of evacuees and joins us now from outside the Astrodome in Houston. And Senators, thank you both for being with us today.

WALLACE: I think it's fair to say that both of you have been very tough on the federal response in the first days after Katrina hit.

Senator Vitter, you gave FEMA an "F" and then, you have this to say — and let's put it up on the screen: The agency "has been completely dysfunctional, completely overwhelmed."

Senator Landrieu, speaking on the Senate floor on Thursday, you were even tougher. Let's look.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

LANDRIEU: And I intend to find out why the federal — particularly the response of FEMA — was so incompetent and insulting to the people of our states.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

WALLACE: Senator Landrieu, I want to ask you — and I'll ask you both, but let me start with you — about the local response.

Was it incompetent and insulting for Mayor Ray Nagin to order a mandatory evacuation, but then to leave buses — and we have a picture of them — hundreds of buses idle, so that they could be flooded, instead of using them to get people out.

LANDRIEU: Well, Chris, I was there, as you know, through the whole ordeal with state and local officials, and was right there with Louisiana Democrats and Republicans, city council members, police chiefs, mayors, the governors, and could watch what Haley Barbour was doing and Governor Riley in Alabama.

I am not going to level criticism at the local level. These people did...

WALLACE: But I'd like you to answer, if you could, this one specific question.

LANDRIEU: Well, I will. I will answer it. I am not going to level criticism at local and state officials. Mayor Nagin and most mayors in this country have a hard time getting their people to work on a sunny day, let alone getting them out of the city in front of a hurricane. And it's because this administration and administrations before them do not understand the difficulties that mayors — whether they are in Orlando, Miami, or New Orleans — face.

LANDRIEU: In other words, this administration did not believe in mass transit. They won't even get people to work on a sunny day, let alone getting them out...

WALLACE: But Senator, there were hundreds of buses sitting in that parking lot. Can I just ask the question?

LANDRIEU: You can, but let me finish, if I could, please.

WALLACE: Well, look in the picture here. There were hundreds of buses in parking lots. The city and the state.

LANDRIEU: That is underwater. Those...

WALLACE: It wasn't underwater before the...

LANDRIEU: Those buses were underwater. Those buses...

WALLACE: They weren't underwater on Saturday; they weren't underwater on Sunday.

LANDRIEU: We had two catastrophes. We had a hurricane and then we had a levee break. When the levee broke, not only did New Orleans go underwater, but St. Bernard when underwater and St. Tammany Parish went underwater.

WALLACE: But they weren't underwater on Sunday.

LANDRIEU: And Plaquemines went underwater. And because the mayor evacuated the city, we had the best evacuation between Haley Barbour and Kathleen Blanco of any evacuation I've seen. I'm 50 years old; I've never seen one any better.

WALLACE: But there were a hundred thousand people left in the city.

LANDRIEU: They did a hundred thousand people left in the city because this federal government won't support cities to evacuate people, whether it's from earthquakes, tornadoes, or hurricanes. And that's the truth.

And that will come out in the hearing.

WALLACE: Let me bring David Vitter in. Was it incompetent and...

WALLACE: If I might ask you another question, sir. Was it competent and insulting for the Louisiana Department of Homeland Security — I'm talking about the state, not the feds — to tell the Red Cross and the Salvation Army that they couldn't go into the city in the middle of the first week, when they said they were ready to go; they had the provisions to go; and it was the state that kept them out.

And so, I think we, in the hearings that will come — we need to ask a lot of pointed and tough questions to a lot of different people, certainly including the feds and certainly including FEMA, but including many, many others to get a true understanding of all that went wrong and what we need to do differently.

WALLACE: Senator Vitter, do you think it was — and I'll get you in this in a moment, Senator Landrieu — do you think it was incompetent and insulting for Governor Blanco not to bring in the federal guard — or, the National Guard, rather — into the city of New Orleans in force until Friday of that first week?

VITTER: Yes.

WALLACE: Senator Landrieu?

LANDRIEU: Can I...

WALLACE: Yes or no?

LANDRIEU: Well, let me add something about our Guard and Reserve: we have 3,000 Guards men coming back from Iraq after they've served, sometimes twice. Our General Landreneau (ph) has said that he's giving them a break.

Thank God we have such a good leader. They need a break. They need to get with their families — many of them, their homes are destroyed. I read in the paper this morning, alarmingly, that the Mississippi governor is not going to allow the Mississippi Guard, or whoever is making that decision. And I'll plead for the Mississippi, for the Alabama Guard, and for the Louisiana Guard: please give these guys a break. They're carrying the weight of the world, literally, ion their shoulders.

And we cannot continue to burden the Guard and Reserve. Now, some of them can volunteer; that's great. But we have to be very careful about putting that burden on them. And let me say one thing I do agree with David about — and we agree with many things; he and I have worked very closely together this week — everyone will be held accountable. The president himself will be held accountable. This administration; I will be held accountable; Senator Vitter will be held accountable; and all state and local officials.

Now is not the time for finger-pointing. Now is the time to rebuild.

So, I'm asking the White House to stop sending out press releases blaming local and state officials.

WALLACE: But, Senator — I'm sorry. This works better if I get to ask some questions here.

LANDRIEU: I know. That would be fine.

WALLACE: OK, thank you. But you're the one who's done the finger-pointing. You were the one who, on the Senate floor, talked about the federal response being incompetent and insulting to the people of Louisiana. You were the one — if I might — and, I want to ask you, also, because you've also pointed the finger at the Bush administration for failing to spend enough on flood control.

Here's what you said this week on the Senate floor. Let's take a look.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

LANDRIEU: They gambled that no one would notice if Louisiana's critical and vital role in our national economy was threatened. And Washington rolled the dice and Louisiana lost.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

WALLACE: But here is what the Washington Post found in an article this week, Senator. And let's put that up on the screen if we can: "The Bush administration's funding requests for the key New Orleans flood-control projects for the past five years were slightly higher than the Clinton Administration's for its past five years."

And, Senator, the article went on to say that Louisiana politicians, in too many cases, were involved in pork, rather than in trying to protect the city of New Orleans. And let's go back to the article. Let's put up another part of it: "For example, after a $194 million deepening project for the Port of Iberia flunked a Corps..." — that's an Army Corps of Engineer — "... cost-benefit analysis, Sen. Mary Landrieu tucked language into an emergency Iraq spending bill ordering the agency to redo its calculations."

So, question, Senator: Is it just the president who gambled and lost or, frankly, did a lot of Louisiana politicians, including you?

LANDRIEU: The president gambled and lost, and I'll tell you why, if you'll let me answer this question. Number one, it is true that the president gave slightly more than Bill Clinton.

I watched that yesterday and Landrieu never did answer the question about the buses..All she did was try and spin it. .Wallace shot her down big time.......

Navy Pride,
No she didn't answer it, but at least her and the gov are not giving out press conferences patting each other on the back while people are losing everything anymore. They meaning the politicians starting from Nagin to Blanco and all of them will get off scott free even when there gross incompetence has been exposed. They are now licking their chops waiting for all that FEMA money. Oh boy its Christmas time early now for La. politicians, some of the most fiscally responsible politicians in the world. I do believe I have about had it and it is time to move.

fyrefighter said:
Navy Pride,
No she didn't answer it, but at least her and the gov are not giving out press conferences patting each other on the back while people are losing everything anymore. They meaning the politicians starting from Nagin to Blanco and all of them will get off scott free even when there gross incompetence has been exposed. They are now licking their chops waiting for all that FEMA money. Oh boy its Christmas time early now for La. politicians, some of the most fiscally responsible politicians in the world. I do believe I have about had it and it is time to move.

It seems like La. has always had corrupt politicians from the days of Long until the present............The latest being a La. Congressman using the National Guard for personal services..........

Louisiana politics has been nortoriously corrupt. One election had Edwin Edwards running. His bumper sticker was "vote for the crook." That was him. Eventually the feds nailed his hide to the wall for racketeering and he is now modeling a beautiful orange jump suit.

danarhea said:

Bush has NOT attacked anybody personnally in the aftermath of the hurricane. In fact, ..it is the as.sholes like the mayor, the governor, & the senantor (Mary Landrieu)...who are the ones trying to look for culpability in Bush, instead of THEMSELVES.

The mayor RUNS NewOrleans & had at least 1,000 schoolbuses, plus public transportation buses to use BEFORE the hurricane arrived. Why didn't the Mayor evacuate the most poor?

Why didn't the governor "activate" the Louisiana National Guard sooner..? She is the commander & chief of her state?

BTW, ..in case those suffering from convenient memory loss, ..or perhaps self inflicted "amnesia",Senator Mary Landrieu Of Louisiana USED NEW ORLEANS city buses to help get the poor democratic voters of New Orleans to the polls in her tough 1996 senate race bid! :shock:

Come come now, ..nobody should act shocked over this information, & it DID occur; but don't expect the major media to report much on it!:2razz:

I mean,...what the hell, to a liberal city,& a liberal state run by democrats for 60 years, & in jeopardy of losing a liberal democrat seat in the senate "MUST" have qualified for an emergency, in order to get buses out for an election!

Liberal politicians can ALWAYS rescue themselves when "their" as.ses are on the line!

SKILMATIC said:

That is not true. The gov declared a disaster on Friday before the Hurricane.

SouthernDemocrat said:

A link please?

Thats exactly what I am saying. So how is that not true? I jjust stated they declared it a disaster zone before it hit which would mean that the local gov is responsible for the evacuation of the harmed areas not federal. Not to mention the local gov is supposed to by law submit a formal letter to the pres. to give federal aid. And that didnt happen either till almost 2days after it hit. Which again is the local gov fault. Also its the local gov fault that there was transportation there and the mayor(who is black last time i checked) didnt want to use the buses becasue he said quote"we don have adequate drivers to drive the buses therefore we cant use them". Gee, I wonder how many had drivers licensesin that crowd? It was also the local gov fault that they didnt ask for their local nat gaurd for aid. Which didnt happen till Bush advised the gov to do so. The fact is that the local gov is soo up to their necks becasue they screwed up that they are trying to smear the federal gov which will never happen casue facts and actions speak louder than words.

The only way I would say it was bushes fault would be the fact that he sent the levy improvements funds to the iraqi war. That is all. But its still the local gov to fund those things. Not the federal level.

The bush admin declared it a disaster zone and the local gov hesitated till the day before which is a whole 24 hours prior to it hitting. So its still the local gov responsibility for this faction. So again since the mayor is black theres no way any black person can result to racist inquiries.

Back
Top Bottom