• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Brothers Grimm

Orion

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
We all know where our fairy tales and Disney movies come from right? A couple of German brothers collected folk tales and published them. Disney dumbed them down for popular consumption.

You likely have a favorite on this list, but read the original version linked here and see if you still like it. :D

We all know where our fairy tales and Disney movies come from right? A couple of German brothers collected folk tales and published them. Disney dumbed them down for popular consumption.

You likely have a favorite on this list, but read the original version linked here and see if you still like it. :D

Same thing Disney and other entertainment companies did with The Hunchback Of Notre Dame. The book is dark and disturbing, and does not end happily, but the Disney takeoff is all singing and sunshine. Even the old Charles Laughton movie ends well. Too bad, it's a great book.

I love fairy tales. I do a unit on them for my little kidlets. I always let them know the TRUE story of Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, etc. They really get a kick out of the stepsisters cutting off parts of their feet to fit into the shoe.

i grew up reading the original versions of them, i was always disappoint when i saw the disney versions

It annoys me when I read a Little Red story where she sees the wolf thinking it's granny and then she runs and hides in the closet. Oy. The wolf ate granny AND Little Red. Tell the story correctly! :)

I guess I don't know the original stories, because I don't remember anything so violent and warped. These tales were suppose to be for children? :unsure13:

I'll read some today while the boy's at camp. Thank you for posting the link Orion.

The Little Mermaid actually dies at the end of the story. Rapunzel's prince is blinded by thorns after being thrown from the tower by the witch. Cinderella's stepsisters are also blinded by birds pecking out their eyes.

I have a book of Grimm's original tales.

I also have this antique book of .... crap... I think it was sleeping beauty. But in the end of it, the wicked queen is forced to wear iron shoes that have been set in a fire until smoldering hot, and dance until her "feet fell off".

I have a book of Grimm's original tales.

I also have this antique book of .... crap... I think it was sleeping beauty. But in the end of it, the wicked queen is forced to wear iron shoes that have been set in a fire until smoldering hot, and dance until her "feet fell off".

Nice........

It annoys me when I read a Little Red story where she sees the wolf thinking it's granny and then she runs and hides in the closet. Oy. The wolf ate granny AND Little Red. Tell the story correctly! :)

there is nothing wrong with changing a story to fit the audience.

I loved the Disney versions but I've also heard/Seen the worse versions, like the Little Mermaid and Repunzel. I remember seeing a cartoon where Repunzel's prince had been blinded. And I was told different versions of LRRH where the wolf ate everyone, and also the 3 Little Pigs where he ate the first and second Pig, and the troll eating the Goats Gruff. But I've never heard/seen the dark version of Cinderella. o_O

Actually, this thread made me remember that I have an old book with a version of Pinnocchio I've never heard anywhere else. Pinnocchio was a very naughty troublemaker who lied all the time, and he met a cat and fox who promised to take him to the Field of Wonders to turn his four coins that belonged to his father into thousands. But they told him they would all leave at midnight, but the cat and fox left earlier, so Pinnocchio left out on his own, and a talking Cricket warned him to watch out for assassins, but he ignored him, and then gets mugged, bites the cat's paw off and is nearly killed by them hanging him, but the Azure Fairy saves his life. Anyone heard this one?

Back
Top Bottom