• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

the breakfast thread

This drink my family aptly names "sadness."

It's one of those green drink things where it's a bunch of vegetables, raspberries, and I think lemons.

Tastes like absolute **** but it's real good for you.

It's a Sunday of a long weekend so same breakfast as a yesterday.... carbs...homemade high fiber muffin and a coffee...

five days a week it's a smoothie consisting of: half greens such as kale/spinach/whatever greens combo then a small banana, scoop of protein powder, with a mix of fruit, ground flax seed and almond milk....it sounds gross and it tastes divine

sometimes I add Spirulina...

what are you having for breakfast?

mine :

15 grain toast with all sorts of cool seeds on it
yogurt margarine

Last night I made 2 loaves of whole wheat olive bread from scratch.

Now I am having it for breakfast.

It tastes so good that I am not having anything else with it.

I normally dont eat breakfast on weekdays but since its the weekend:

qfDWXO9.jpg

what are you having for breakfast?

mine :

15 grain toast with all sorts of cool seeds on it
yogurt margarine

A German curry sausage with salad and fries in a place on the edge of the woods heavily scented by the sun's heat behind the dunes along the South Spanish coast called Schnitzelhaus.

'hadn't done that in a long time.

A German curry sausage with salad and fries in a place on the edge of the woods heavily scented by the sun's heat behind the dunes along the South Spanish coast called Schnitzelhaus.

'hadn't done that in a long time.
But here's what we really want to know: Can't you easily get an Egg McMuffin there? :2razz:

Nicely played JoG - you might have a winner here ....

What I'd like is some veggie bacon, eggs, and hash browns with coffee. But alas, our larders are bare. I've settled for oat bread toast with Smart Balance spread and Smucker's natural creamy peanut butter, and coffee. Pretty tasty, but some bacon would've been nice.

they call this one "the american" breakfast

tXLTPbf.jpg

Canned sausage gravy on toast. It is better served on biscuits but I am much better at just making toast. ;)

View attachment 67201718
I didn't even know there was such a thing (canned sausage gravy)!

Up north here, biscuits & gravy was never highly common back when I was a kid, but could be found then in the soul-food joints and the occasional truck-stop or diner. There was nothing better on a cold dark morning, than stopping in the diner one block over that was conveniently located in the middle of my paper-route, and wolfing down hot coffee and biscuits & gravy, rubbing elbows at the counter with the factory workers and truck-drivers! At 10 years old, I felt I was working-man like them, and it made me proud!

Then biscuits & gravy disappeared as the 70's soul-food places eventually died-off, and the truck-stops left the city when manufacturing died-off. But during the last decade biscuits & gravy seem to be making a come-back here (along with southern-style cooking in general) - but this time it's in the the higher-end hipper places and neighborhoods where it's celebrated as nouveau-cuisine! :(

But by pure luck, I have a dirt-cheap greasy-spoon diner not too far from me that serves it in an authentic unpretentious environment to old-timers that ate it before it became hip.

Funny how things come & go in this city ...

(and yes, I still love biscuits & gravy - and no, I don't want to read the ingredients list!)

eggs, over-easy, country ham, grits with red eye gravy. toast, no biscuits ... deal with it

Up north here, biscuits & gravy was never highly common back when I was a kid, but could be found then in the soul-food joints and the occasional truck-stop or diner. There was nothing better on a cold dark morning, than stopping in the diner one block over that was conveniently located in the middle of my paper-route, and wolfing down hot coffee and biscuits & gravy, rubbing elbows at the counter with the factory workers and truck-drivers! At 10 years old, I felt I was working-man like them, and it made me proud!

Then biscuits & gravy disappeared as the 70's soul-food places eventually died-off, and the truck-stops left the city when manufacturing died-off. But during the last decade biscuits & gravy seem to be making a come-back here (along with southern-style cooking in general) - but this time it's in the the higher-end hipper places and neighborhoods where it's celebrated as nouveau-cuisine! :(

But by pure luck, I have a dirt-cheap greasy-spoon diner not too far from me that serves it in an authentic unpretentious environment to old-timers that ate it before it became hip.

(and yes, I still love biscuits & gravy - and no, I don't want to read the ingredients list!)

Here Libby's sausage gravy can be found at Walmart ($1.33) and at Dollar General ($1.50). It has quite a bit of (fairy mild) sausage in it and (with toast or biscuits) makes a filling, quick and cheap breakfast. If I am even more in a hurry then I just have a can of roast beef hash or corned beef hash for breakfast - also fairly cheap (under $2/can).

they call this one "the american" breakfast

tXLTPbf.jpg

More like a canadian breakfast, I only see 3 firearms, 2 lobster tails and one jesus head, oh yeah and not enough bacon!

The ingredients are not bad at all, like sausage gravy is just simply sausage fat, flour, milk, and some actual sausage added to it. Biscuits are usually flour and water, or flour and milk, plus something to rise the dough.

M-F: Yogurt with blueberries & honey. Black forest ham & gouda between two slices of three-cheese semolina toast.

Weekend: Raisin bran crunch or pancakes & bacon or scrambled eggs, bacon & English muffin (often in a homemade egg mcmuffin).

Back
Top Bottom