• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The bond that explains why some on the Christian right support Putin’s war

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The bond that explains why some on the Christian right support Putin’s war

Arizona state Sen. Wendy Rogers (R) was only one of the speakers at the Feb. 25 America First Political Action Conference to voice support for Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. But her meme-ready remark — urging more tanks and using a crude term to call for fewer transgender people — reminds us that many on the American right see Russia as an ally in the culture wars. This long-standing alliance has forced a rift within the Republican Party since Russian President Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. But there is another dimension to this rift, illustrated by the audience to which Rogers spoke: how this alliance of cultural conservatives in the United States and Russia has also embraced racial and ethnic bigotry. White evangelicals once saw Russia as an existential threat to traditional gender roles and sexual morality, but over the past three decades, they have forged a partnership in a global family values movement that not only embraces sexual and gender traditionalism but sees these practices as a solution to demographic changes around the globe. In fact, GOP-proposed state-level anti-transgender and “Don’t Say Gay” bills actually echo Russian laws — which isn’t surprising since U.S. conservatives contributed to the Russian legal prohibitions.

In 1995, Russian demographers met with the American Howard Center for the Family, Religion and Society, a project of the paleoconservative movement that mixed Holocaust deniers, Neo-Confederates and racist anti-immigrant activists. They agreed that low White birthrates were caused by the decline of traditional family forms and gender roles — and therefore the answer was the official suppression of sexual and gender dissent. Their efforts produced the World Congress of Families, which combines funding from conservative Russian oligarchs with the organizing know-how of groups like the National Organization for Marriage — a key player in California’s 2008 same-sex marriage ban. Russian Orthodox leadership in the global family values movement makes Eastern Christianity an appealing symbol for some of the most repugnant representatives of the racist right — again demonstrating the racial subtext of overt sexual conservatism. As Russian tanks roll toward Kyiv and AFPAC speakers cheer, Putin can count on the respect many Christian conservatives in the United States have for Orthodox Russia as the international standard-bearer for family values. Certainly not all the ties between American Republicans and Russian interests are based on long-standing religious visions of traditional families and White Christian supremacy. But there is no making sense of them without that context.

The Russian Orthodox Church and southern US Evangelism.

A marriage of racial/LGBTQ bigotry and xenophobia.

Putin is a war criminal. I don't know of any of my Christian friends who support Putin / Russia on this war.

I'll tell you what sucks, though - liberals like Joe Biden refusing to cut off Russian oil, which helps finance the illegal war against the Ukraine.

I'm not sure if you're pushing LGBTQ lifestyles as something approved by God. It's not.

Last edited:
What gets me is all the people on the religious right who have supported Putin forever and now all he does is come out in slaughter families.

What gets me is all the people on the religious right who have supported Putin forever and now all he does is come out in slaughter families.
That's way, way overblown. The religious conservatives I know hate communism.

And plenty of times in the past too.

Conversely, tons of liberals love that Russian oil in lieu of making America energy independent. Turkeys.
most recently high profile republicans like Tucker and the ex-president loved them some Russia/Putin.

LGBTQ lifestyles are hardly something heaven approves of. Quite the opposite, and there's nothing bigoted about that.

The Bible doesn't approve of much of anything that people do.

The Bible doesn't decide what is bigoted. The Bible is bigoted but approves itself of that bigotry. Bigotry is fine, as long as it is God's word.

LGBTQ lifestyles are hardly something heaven approves of. Quite the opposite, and there's nothing bigoted about that.
Then let "heaven" sort it out. Who are you - a sinner who falls short - to get in on the action?

The Bible doesn't decide what is bigoted. The Bible is bigoted but approves itself of that bigotry. Bigotry is fine, as long as it is God's word.
American churches are a breeding ground for hate

There's plenty of bigots around. Lately the liberal-left is full of them.

Remember that photo a few years ago that showed two men watering I'd rather be Russian than Democrat shirts at a Trump rally?

Yep, and I bet those two are Christian....

Watch on how humanity progresses with or without your god
Humanity wouldn't even have begun without God. Not only that, but secularism, without moral absolutes, and without a transcendent reference (i.e. God), would be a nightmare, for what you would have left would be simply moral relativism, where one person's thought-out morality is arguably as good as that of another.

Humanity wouldn't even have begun without God. Not only that, but secularism, without moral absolutes, and without a transcendent reference (i.e. God), would be a nightmare, for what you would have left would be simply moral relativism, where one person's thought-out morality is arguably as good as that of another.
That's beside the point. We as a species have progressed. It would take at least Taliban methods to enforce a God centered America. Matter of fact it can't be done. And since you brought up morality, your God's morals ain't up to snuff.

That's way, way overblown. The religious conservatives I know hate communism.

Putin and Russia are not communist.
Russia hasn't been communist since 1991.
Russia under Putin's "United Russia Party" is functioning as a fascist state.

If you are unable to recognize the fact that the USSR no longer exists, you're not qualified to take part in discussions
about Vladimir Putin or Ukraine because you don't understand the ideological conflict that is underpinning the war happening there.

Back
Top Bottom