• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The blue wave just keeps getting bigger

Considering that was the worst Senate map for the Dems in a century, I don't think we can complain.

My thoughts:

1] Wow, the polls were nearly perfect. 38 House seats gained, 7 govs flipped, 2 Senate loses, and a +7 pt Dem advantage. That's virtually perfect predictions from both the aggregators (RCP, 538) and the predictors (Cook's, Sebato).

2] In the Senate, the Dems have a geography problem that seems problematic. Red states are rural, with few voters but still get two Senators. This will continue to cause tyranny of the minority in the Senate, at least for now. 500K Wyoming voters = 40M California voters. Yow!

Were it not for the fundamental change which took place in 1913, the 16th and 17th amendments along with the Federal Reserve Act, most likely many of todays problems would not exist BECAUSE of the Senate. Our Congress was created with a House to represent the people and a Senate to represent the States. A majority of the people might ask for government to impose something at the Federal level over all the people in all the States, and the Senate might vote it down if their States could not afford the costs as a finite amount of money had to be taken into account along with the ability for States to tax their citizenry.
The year 1913 put an end to living within our means, and as a result we have seen our government live more and more beyond its (OUR) means by perpetually growing the fiat money supply allowing debts and deficit spending to grow offset by inflation of prices as our money devalues. Our Federal government has taken full control of the purse, and most people have come to accept that as both those with the highest taxable incomes and those with the least or taxable income benefit as a result, and each votes in their own best interests, more money and services provided the poorest, paid for by Federal spending results in more profits for where the spending takes place, AND investment of surplus money into property or things with intrinsic value (especially that which cannot be taxed) results in wealth growth while most those in the middle class who invest their surplus, if any, do so in bank accounts which along with the interest accumulated may not even retain the value of the money relative to the time it was earned, so more often than not people simply take on personal debt instead.

Our system of government is broken, and we are doing nothing at all to fix it in a rational and reasonable way.

Were it not for the fundamental change which took place in 1913, the 16th and 17th amendments along with the Federal Reserve Act, most likely many of todays problems would not exist BECAUSE of the Senate. Our Congress was created with a House to represent the people and a Senate to represent the States. A majority of the people might ask for government to impose something at the Federal level over all the people in all the States, and the Senate might vote it down if their States could not afford the costs as a finite amount of money had to be taken into account along with the ability for States to tax their citizenry.
The year 1913 put an end to living within our means, and as a result we have seen our government live more and more beyond its (OUR) means by perpetually growing the fiat money supply allowing debts and deficit spending to grow offset by inflation of prices as our money devalues. Our Federal government has taken full control of the purse, and most people have come to accept that as both those with the highest taxable incomes and those with the least or taxable income benefit as a result, and each votes in their own best interests, more money and services provided the poorest, paid for by Federal spending results in more profits for where the spending takes place, AND investment of surplus money into property or things with intrinsic value (especially that which cannot be taxed) results in wealth growth while most those in the middle class who invest their surplus, if any, do so in bank accounts which along with the interest accumulated may not even retain the value of the money relative to the time it was earned, so more often than not people simply take on personal debt instead.

Our system of government is broken, and we are doing nothing at all to fix it in a rational and reasonable way.
This isn't a bad post, thanks for penning it.

The one thing I would point-out though, is: The state legislators cannot be assumed to look-out for the "state's" best interests. They are simply politicians, no better or worse than any other, and driven by the same self-interests. Not that I'm disagreeing with your Constitutional conceptualization - I'm not. But your description of the "states" is actually that of the ruling politicians within the state.

I very much agree!

Think of it. The infrastructure is so stacked against the Dems, that last week they needed to be at +6 pts to reach parity! PARITY! And they still kicked ass, with around +7.5, putting them a point & a half or so over parity.

Now imagine if it was an even playing field? With the Dems essentially having an additional 6 pts last week? Wow! It would have been murderous!

So yeah, I agree with you, and I hope I was able to conceptualize our thoughts a bit further.

Dude, there's a reason why the GOP does everything possible to suppress certain people from voting...they know they can't win otherwise.

Dems also cast 12M more Senatoral votes, than the Repubs. But you know; geography.

I don't think that's a good measure at all. For the same reason it's not really impressive that Republicans gained seats, it's not impressive that Democrats won more votes for Senate with all their seats up. Doubly so since the biggest state in the nation had 100% of its votes go to Democrats in the matchup between Feinstein and De Leon.

Dude, there's a reason why the GOP does everything possible to suppress certain people from voting...they know they can't win otherwise.
It's the last gasps of a dying demographic ...

It's the last gasps of a dying demographic ...

It's sad really. Their policies are so awful, that they literally can't convince anyone to vote for them. In fact, they have lost voting blocs (Asian Americans), and are likely to soon lose another (Cuban Americans).

My brother and family relocated to Main, he states Collins is deeply unpopular. That will be an easy seat to flip if the Dems run a decent canidate who has Mains interest at heart, not Trumps.

That’s not true, Collins has majority approval in Maine. Morning policy has her approval at 53 percent

I don't think that's a good measure at all. For the same reason it's not really impressive that Republicans gained seats, it's not impressive that Democrats won more votes for Senate with all their seats up. Doubly so since the biggest state in the nation had 100% of its votes go to Democrats in the matchup between Feinstein and De Leon.
Fair enough in the above. But it does measure those engaged enough to come-out and vote.

Considering that was the worst Senate map for the Dems in a century, I don't think we can complain.

My thoughts:

1] Wow, the polls were nearly perfect. 38 House seats gained, 7 govs flipped, 2 Senate loses, and a +7 pt Dem advantage. That's virtually perfect predictions from both the aggregators (RCP, 538) and the predictors (Cook's, Sebato).

2] In the Senate, the Dems have a geography problem that seems problematic. Red states are rural, with few voters but still get two Senators. This will continue to cause tyranny of the minority in the Senate, at least for now. 500K Wyoming voters = 40M California voters. Yow!

In case you didn’t know, the country is the United States, not the United People. It’s not tyranny that each state gets two senators

It's sad really. Their policies are so awful, that they literally can't convince anyone to vote for them. In fact, they have lost voting blocs (Asian Americans), and are likely to soon lose another (Cuban Americans).
And Trump is doing everything he can to shrink them! At exactly the time they need to expand. Even worse, he strongly motivated the Dems!

In case you didn’t know, the country is the United States, not the United People. It’s not tyranny that each state gets two senators
I know the Constitution, EMN.

But that still doesn't negate that it marginalizes large swatches of the citizenry, in this case the majority bloc. The minority ruling over the majority is always a recipe for discord.

And Trump is doing everything he can to shrink them! At exactly the time they need to expand. Even worse, he strongly motivated the Dems!

CT: Trump really is a Democrat plant who's purposely destroying the GOP so that the Democrats can get permanent power. I'm obviously kidding, but you never know lol.

I know the Constitution, EMN.

But that still doesn't negate that it marginalizes large swatches of the citizenry, in this case the majority bloc. The minority ruling over the majority is always a recipe for discord.

It doesn’t marginalize anyone. “Marginalized” is an invented concept to purchase political Support from losers. “You’re not a loser, you’re just marginalized”. The senate does not impose tyranny on anyone. In fact I’m not aware of any country with an upper legislative house that apportions that House by population. In Canada and the UK the Senate and House of Lords are not even elected at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s not true, Collins has majority approval in Maine. Morning policy has her approval at 53 percent

Your poll numbers are out of date.

In July 2018, Morning Consult showed Collins with a 56% approval rating, with 34% disapproving. Only a month later, on August 21, a Public Policy Polling poll showed Collins with a 35% approval rating, with 48% disapproving, following her support for Brett Kavanaugh's nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court.

I stand by my earlier post.

Your poll numbers are out of date.

In July 2018, Morning Consult showed Collins with a 56% approval rating, with 34% disapproving. Only a month later, on August 21, a Public Policy Polling poll showed Collins with a 35% approval rating, with 48% disapproving, following her support for Brett Kavanaugh's nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court.

I stand by my earlier post.

No, you clearly just hit a google search and posted the first result.

Morning Consult in October had Collins at 53

https://morningconsult.com/2018/10/10/americas-most-and-least-popular-senators-10-10/

Way to go!

Too bad Democrats had to defend so many seats in the Senate. Was the wrong point in the cycle.

So now do we hope that Republicans start acting decently so that it won't matter so much who has the Senate? Or do we hope Republicans continue to behave egregiously so that enthusiasm stays high to remove them the next time there is half a chance?

It's moot, isn't it. What are the odds that they suddenly decide they want to pass good laws?

Will the republicans start acting decently? No chance. McConnell ordered the republicans to be absolute a-holes to President Obama the minute he won the election in 2008.

And sadly Pelosi has announced that the democrats are going to work WITH the republicans and not be a-holes like the republicans have been for over 10 years.

Once again we see the so called 'moral christian values' that the republicans spew are completely FAKE.

Even with the elections they are stealing Dems still have smaller than average pick up in congress. While the GOP has an increase in the Senate only the 3rd time in 100 years that has happened in a first mid term.

All of America seeing the Democrat electoral corruption is one of the biggest wins for the GOP and all other Americans.

LMFAO. Even your fuhrer trump is pissed about the mid-terms. He's screaming at all the republicans who lost their seats. And he is panicking. In January, Mueller will be able to hammer the final nails in trump's stinking coffin.

No, you clearly just hit a google search and posted the first result.

Morning Consult in October had Collins at 53

https://morningconsult.com/2018/10/10/americas-most-and-least-popular-senators-10-10/

You should read this, dated Nov 12, 2018. Her support with Indies and Dems has dwindled. I stand by BOTH my earlier posts.

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/11...-vote-affected-susan-collins-approval-rating/

Feel free to admit your wrong.

Either way it was a big enough blue wave to make Pelosi Speaker, ahhh oversight !

Last edited:
No, your article doesn’t refute what I posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But does support my argument, she is deeply unpopular.

Check mate

Back
Top Bottom