• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The bimbo from Alaska is suddenly an expert on monetary policy.

Kushinator

I'm not-low all the time
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
"When Germany, a country that knows a thing or two about the dangers of inflation, warns us to think again, maybe it's time for Chairman Bernanke to cease and desist... We don't want temporary, artificial economic growth bought at the expense of permanently higher inflation which will erode the value of our incomes and our savings."

source

I just have one question: Where was "momma grizzly" at when the Fed purchased somewhere along the lines of $1.5 trillion in US Treasuries and mortgage backed securities in late 2008 early 2009?

Probably licking her wounds from the election. Now she is an expert.... Great:shock:

I don't think its fair to call her a bimbo. I don't think there is any credible evidence of her cheating on her husband.

However, I do find it annoying that she never seems to realize how ill informed most of her opinions are.

source

I just have one question: Where was "momma grizzly" at when the Fed purchased somewhere along the lines of $1.5 trillion in US Treasuries and mortgage backed securities in late 2008 early 2009?

Probably licking her wounds from the election. Now she is an expert.... Great:shock:

You do realize that most of the industrialized world was in financial meltdown at the time, and that cash was being infused by governments everywhere to stabilize their banking systems ? You do realize that banks now already have plenty of cash-on-hand prior to this pumping ? You do realize that other governments, such as Germany, have rebounded nicely by implementing austerity measures, while the U.S. under Obama can't find its ass with both hands and a roadmap ?

This pumping of money is being roundly criticised by trading partners on every side of us. Frankly, one does not need to be much of an expert to see not only how bad an idea this is. Its pretty much back-door tax on the middle and lower classes that have no hedge against inflation, and will now have to pay more for just about everything, starting with gas and food.

Or maybe you don't see any of that, which would make Palin many degrees more enlightened than you. :roll:

Last edited:
I don't think its fair to call her a bimbo. I don't think there is any credible evidence of her cheating on her husband.

However, I do find it annoying that she never seems to realize how ill informed most of her opinions are.

IMHO, a bimbo is a woman (or man if your into men) who is good looking, but is dumb as a box of rocks.

You do realize that most of the industrialized world was in financial meltdown at the time, and that cash was being infused by governments everywhere to stabilize their banking systems ? You do realize that banks now already have plenty of cash-on-hand prior to this pumping ? You do realize that other governments, such as Germany, have rebounded nicely by implementing austerity measures, while the U.S. under Obama can't find its ass with both hands and a roadmap ?

This pumping of money is being roundly criticised by trading partners on every side of us. Frankly, one does not need to be much of an expert to see not only how bad an idea this is. Its pretty much back-door tax on the middle and lower classes that have no hedge against inflation, and will now have to pay more for just about everything, starting with gas and food.

Or maybe you don't see any of that, which would make Palin many degrees more enlightened than you. :roll:

Did you know that it does not take a purchasing program of $1.5 trillion to pull short term rates to zero? Of course not, because if you did, you would understand the notion behind credit easing is to induce inflation (such as now), and not to strictly provide liquidity. How do you induce inflation if investors are unwilling to take risk?

Answer: eliminate risk.

I will chalk it up to a simple IS/LM error on your behalf.

Last edited:
Did you know that it does not take a purchasing program of $1.5 trillion to pull short term rates to zero? Of course not, because if you did, you would understand the notion behind credit easing is to induce inflation (such as now), and not to strictly provide liquidity. How do you induce inflation if investors are unwilling to take risk?

Answer: eliminate risk.

I will chalk it up to a simple IS/LM error on your behalf.

Eliminate risk ? What lala land is that ? The problem is not inflation, or lack of it. It is not the availability of money to lend.

Its the Obama government. Its looming fees and regulations and taxes on the horizon that have us stuck, to put it briefly. Other countries are not stuck. Do you have a friggin clue why not ?

Eliminate risk ? What lala land is that ? The problem is not inflation, or lack of it. It is not the availability of money to lend.

Its the Obama government. Its looming fees and regulations and taxes on the horizon that have us stuck, to put it briefly. Other countries are not stuck. Do you have a friggin clue why not ?

Yes. They're not busy fighting Iraq and Afghanistan, nor are they funneling all their wealth into the hands of a few thousand corporate fatcats. They also don't base their economy around debt like we do.

Also, Sarah Palin's bust isn't nearly large enough for her to be a bimbo.

Yes. They're not busy fighting Iraq and Afghanistan, nor are they funneling all their wealth into the hands of a few thousand corporate fatcats. They also don't base their economy around debt like we do.

Also, Sarah Palin's bust isn't nearly large enough for her to be a bimbo.

What is laughable is that we have finance folks far and wide condemning this move, from perennial allies to constant antagonists. And yet some moonbat needs to take issue with Sarah Palin also saying its a bad idea. Friggin brilliant.

Take your partisan cap off and think like an investor for a second. If banks can borrow close to zero, but choose to lend the government money for 10 years at around 2.5% interest, how do you force them into risk? By lowering risk! Pushing the 10 year yield under 2% would force banks to invest in other assets classes besides risk free treasuries. So instead of seeking yields of 2%, they will lend to private debt issuers @ 3%, thereby shortening the spread between high risk and low risk (this is known as lowering risk!).

Other countries such as Germany were not nearly as effected by the financial crisis. They rely heavily on exports.

What is laughable is that we have finance folks far and wide condemning this move, from perennial allies to constant antagonists. And yet some moonbat needs to take issue with Sarah Palin also saying its a bad idea. Friggin brilliant.

All i ask for is consistency. Your personal attack is noted.

All i ask for is consistency. Your personal attack is noted.

Consistency from who, Sarah Palin ? Why not crow at the entire world who are now condemning this action ? The problem is one of two things:

1) You don't understand what is happening; or
2) Palin Derangement Syndrome

or both !!

Take your partisan cap off and think like an investor for a second. If banks can borrow close to zero, but choose to lend the government money for 10 years at around 2.5% interest, how do you force them into risk? By lowering risk! Pushing the 10 year yield under 2% would force banks to invest in other assets classes besides risk free treasuries. So instead of seeking yields of 2%, they will lend to private debt issuers @ 3%, thereby shortening the spread between high risk and low risk (this is known as lowering risk!).

Other countries such as Germany were not nearly as effected by the financial crisis. They rely heavily on exports.

Goldenboy, we don't have customers. You know, the folks that walk into a business wanting to buy ?

You make a point about lowering interest rates. But if this lowering of rates is based on an artificial action such as Fed intervention it probably has less beneficial effect. Bankers may be concerned that this action will have the desired effect of increasing inflation. That would mean that they would be lending long term at low rates and then when inflation rises, interest rates also rise and they lose the opportunity to lend at those higher rates.

The country is already flooded with liquidity. What does adding another $600 billion to the money supply help? Lower interest rates by a few basis points, short term big deal.

Something we should be concerned about and be on the lookout for is the G20 finally taking a hard look at how to replace the dollar as the sole currency reserve for the world. If that were to happen, then we would be at the mercy of the IMF to help work out our debt situation.

I have another question: Where was "momma grizzly" at when the seven newest states were added to the union? How ill informed can one be to think there are still just 50 states?

I have another question: Where was "momma grizzly" at when the seven newest states were added to the union? How ill informed can one be to think there are still just 50 states?

Way to deflect from your hero palin with a totally irrelevant slip of the tongue by a tired politician!

Way to deflect from your hero palin with a totally irrelevant slip of the tongue by a tired politician!

And why do liberals have to take a very good debate, in other threads btw, and turn it into a Palin bashing thread, as if she sets monetary policy, is the only one saying this, etc ? Are you that devoid of substance ?

The Nov 2nd survey says "Yes". The Palin bashing comments here, such as yours, only confirm it .....

I laugh at anyone that presumes to be an expert on this nightmare policy in play.

I don't know about that. I would say that elementary geography is a relevant topic for one who proposes to be the leader of the free world.

source

Come on, Sarah can see Russia from her house.

source

She was probably doing exactly what you were doing = absolutly nothing proactive, but forming opinions on everything.

(just a joke, btw)

Last edited:

actually according to the Wall Street Journal, she is better informed than any Republican this side of Paul Ryan on fiscal matters, and better able to articulate them than any current Republican Presidential contender.

:)

:lol: though hilariously, a WSJ reporter recently charged her with not knowing what she was talking about because she referenced rising food prices.... so she pointed out to him where she had originally read of that in the Wall Street Journal :D

Take your partisan cap off and think like an investor for a second. If banks can borrow close to zero, but choose to lend the government money for 10 years at around 2.5% interest, how do you force them into risk?

stop loaning to them at close to zero

:)

Come on, Sarah can see Russia from her house.

again, i find it hilarious that left-wingers use this to attack her lack of knowledge.... apparently not knowing themselves that this is a Tina Fey quote... :lol:

Here's the article.

..The former Alaskan Governor showed sound political and economic instincts by inveighing forcefully against the Federal Reserve's latest round of quantitative easing. According to the prepared text of remarks that she released to National Review online, Mrs. Palin also exhibited a more sophisticated knowledge of monetary policy than any major Republican this side of Wisconsin Representative Paul Ryan.

Stressing the risks of Fed "pump priming," Mrs. Palin zeroed in on the connection between a "weak dollar—a direct result of the Fed's decision to dump more dollars onto the market"—and rising oil and food prices. She also noted the rising world alarm about the Fed's actions, which by now includes blunt comments by Germany, Brazil, China and most of Asia, among many others.

"We don't want temporary, artificial economic growth brought at the expense of permanently higher inflation which will erode the value of our incomes and our savings," the former GOP Vice Presidential nominee said. "We want a stable dollar combined with real economic reform. It's the only way we can get our economy back on the right track."

Mrs. Palin's remarks may have the beneficial effect of bringing the dollar back to the center of the American political debate, not to mention of the GOP economic platform. Republican economic reformers of the 1970s and 1980s—especially Ronald Reagan and Jack Kemp—understood the importance of stable money to U.S. prosperity.

On the other hand, the Bush Administration was clueless. Its succession of Treasury Secretaries promoted dollar devaluation little different from that of the current Administration, while the White House ignored or applauded an over-easy Fed policy that created the credit boom and housing bubble that led to financial panic.

Misguided monetary policy can ruin an Administration as thoroughly as higher taxes and destructive regulation, and the new GOP majority in the House and especially the next GOP President need to be alert to the dangers. Mrs. Palin is way ahead of her potential Presidential competitors on this policy point, and she shows a talent for putting a technical subject in language that average Americans can understand...

again, i find it hilarious that left-wingers use this to attack her lack of knowledge.... apparently not knowing themselves that this is a Tina Fey quote... :lol:

The original line that sparked the whole joke was:
They're our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

It's just more humerous to say "you can see Russia from my House!"

Back
Top Bottom